Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mod cheap or buy higher?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Grizz2k, Jul 17, 2017.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    No, i cant do better because i dont have skills. Totally subjective but an Affinity neck feels like a toy IMO.
    I was also referring to people who spend premium bucks on bridge, saddles, pickup, wiring harness etc. not to mention labor or paying someone to do the mods. Again, not worth the effort.

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Ive been able to find what I want.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    To me, it makes more sense to mod a cheap guitar than to have to mod a more expensive one.

Some people can't find exactly what they want, some only mod when needed and some are compulsive modders.

waltschwarzkopf likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I've had what you call a "side" electric guitar for quite a few years for a very specific purpose. It is the one that I enjoy playing the least, because it really isn't for my very passionate music, but ironically it is the best built electric guitar that I have. I can appreciate the quandary that you are in and I really don't have any words of wisdom to help. The only thing I can think of is that for a "side guitar", it is very, very nice and I can't complain about anything on it. That said though, it would be the first guitar to sell out of my stable. Maybe you can find your answer in those comments, but nevertheless, good luck.

6. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    St. louis MO
    I buy or build as nice as I can afford from the get go. The problem with cheap guitars is there is always something. I bought a cheap bass and I customized everything on it. The one problem I have is there isn't enough adjustment on truss rod to get the neck right which is a major part of getting a guitar playing right. So right now I can either try putting super light bass strings on it, buy a new neck, or remove the fretboard and redo/replace the truss rod.

I have put countless hours into this guitar and everything about it is phenomenal except one major thing. If I do buy a new neck I would have to go through the is it going to fit because it's not a standard size issues and have to do major surgery. By the time I do that I could probably build a new body.

My lapsteel I built it the best I could from the get go. Only problem is it sounds so good and plays so good. My guitar I bought the best body and neck I could afford. The only problem is play it so much it needs a lot of maintenance I wear the frets out so much.

I always have money issues it seems but I do the best to buy the best I can afford always. Hopefully I can get by with a set of really light strings on my bass for recording if not well I got about 1000 hours into the thing and I will probably have to start from scratch or figure out what has to happen for a new neck.

7. I started out buying a Fender American Strat and Tele. Pretty OK guitars, they had their issues. Then (this is in the 1990s) when I would go into Guitar Center, and try out stuff, I really found myself liking the Made In Mexico (MIM) Strats and Teles better than the USA ones. After owning a few of the MIMs
    and changing pickups and enjoying them more than my USAs, I started realizing that as long as the wood sounds good and the neck is sound, then the guitar can be made into a great player that totally makes me happy whenever I touch it. Then the Chinese manufactured models started showing up in the 2000s, and the value that they offered for the price... WOW! So now my mods to cheap guitars are very basic ... tuners, pickups, Deoxit on the pots and switches, and minimal touch-up on the frets, usually just polishing. So yeah, I will spend an extra $150 on a $150 guitar, and have the guitar that I want for less than any $300 guitar I could have purchased.

Tony Done likes this.

8. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    My story, experience and perceptions are very similar to yours. I've put $200 worth of pickups in $70 guitar. :)

My long-term (about 30 years) problem with electric guitars was failing to appreciate the importance of the amp. I finally saw the light, via a pretty indirect route, about 25 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

9. YES! The amp! (I build tube amps as well, but starting to love JFET preamps and class-d power amps). The speaker and the pickups (the transducers!) are the most important elephants in any rig, IME/IMO.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017

10. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Just curious, what made it not as good as the Gibson counterpart?

11. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I know what you mean about feeling like a toy. Not sure why that is. But it plays easy. It also feels less like a toy with a good setup.

I paid premium bucks on the bridge and pickups and had a tech do a complete rewire, and still came out way ahead. But there's no way to get around it if you don't like the feel. Except get a new neck, and at that point you've made a partscaster

12. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    In my mind there is no question - do not mod (more than a little bit) because otherwise you end up spending more when you could have had a better guitar to start with - and... it will have resale value.

13. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Holic

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Sustain wasn't there. It sounded good, don't get me wrong, but when I compared it to the Gibson in the store it was noticeable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.