Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Mobile amplifier?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RoCkstAr256, Jan 8, 2018.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2017
    Hello i am looking for mobile amplifier, one that would allow me to play on the streets. Budget 250$ at the moment, might be higher in future. Location Europe, Poland. Generes, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Machine Head, so generaly Rock,Blues Metal thing.

What i found so far? Blackstar Fly 3, do not known if its loud enought.
    Roland, Any Fender mobile amp ? Looking forward into nuclear batteries to hold up for long, till i run out of blues.

Helpz :)

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I have a Yamaha THR-10 which has all manner of voices / effects on-board and, I believe, others that are downloadable. It's incredibly light and will run off AA batteries or mains power.

I'm not sure whether it'd be sufficiently powerful for your needs but I would definitely recommend you trying one to find out as I can't think of much that would be as transportable.
    Danjabellza likes this.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    Maybe a Crate Taxi or Fender Amp Can.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Katana 50. They're light. Also has all the effects you need.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Does it need to be battery powered?
    Or can you plug in?

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    Okay, I'll admit this suggestion isn't as cool or even as terrific-sounding as some of the other battery-powered options, but you owe it to yourself to try a Zinky "Lil Smoky". They're like $35USD, runs off a 9 volt battery, and you will be absolutely shocked when you plug one into a 2x12 or 4x12 or any guitar cab:

You could grab a light 1x12 cab and some backup 9 volt batteries and hit the streets with it. Or lug a 4x12:

OTOH, if you are playing/busking outside with a drummer this is definitely not going to be loud enough to play metal... but I generally wouldn't expect to see a band that loud playing outside in the streets busking style.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

7. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    I only have experience with the Yamaha THR-10, as noted by another poster. It is highly mobile and runs on batteries. Though I have not used it in your application, it could be something you look into. There are several distinct models geared towards different voicings, the THR-10X is voiced for metal.

8. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Yamaha thr is a good little amp. Does a solid deluxe reverb, taking into account size, speakers etc..

9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2017
    So many amps guys, i wish i could pick more than one hahah

10. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    vox da5

peavey nano vyper

roland cube street

...all battery powered

hint: I kept da20 for busking

11. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I see Boss has just announced the Katana Air.
    30 watts
    Runs on batteries
    PBO Blues and RoCkstAr256 like this.

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I know the Crate mobile amps, the "TX" or "Taxi" series amps. The have as their internal power source a 12 volt sealed lead acid battery, which is rechargeable, completely sealed, and maintenance free. You just plug the 15-volt charger into the "DC Charger Plug" and the battery fully recharges in 6 hours. I've gigged with this rig, running both vocals and guitar into the amp, for 3 hours, even up to 4 hours at a time. YMMV.

I've owned both the TX30 ("Taxi") and the TX50 ("Limo"), and I would still have both if I hadn't lost the Taxi to a house fire. The Taxi was a 30 watt, 1x8" amp, and worked for me for 7 years or so for acoustic gigs in small rooms (coffee shops, etc.).

I replaced it with the Limo (TX50), a 50 watt, 1x10" amp, which not only had more power but more/better features. The "Instrument" input of the amp has two channels, you toggle between them via a button/switch (or an optional footswitch). Channel 1 is for electrics, with just Gain, (tone) Shape and Level controls. Channel 2 is for acoustic/electric, and has 3-band EQ and Level controls. Both instrument channels share "DSP Send" and "DSP Mode" controls. The DSP effects are differing types of modulation: reverbs, chorus, echo, delay, etc.

As for my genres of music, I do a bit of blues, but I don't do metal, and my "Rock" is the "Classic" variety. So as far as how this amp will sound to you doing your thing, again, YMMV. I've never run pedals in front of mine; the modulation I get from the amps on-board effects, and I don't need much distortion, so I get my grit using the Gain + Level controls on Channel 1. The last time I played some blues through this was in a small room, with Gain set at just a hair over 2 and Level (output volume) set at 3. And that's 2 and 3 on the dial numbered from 1-10, not 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

It's a convenient combo for outlet-free amplification. I've never busked, as such, but I gig with my Limo at least once a week. A couple of venues I play don't have a stage; I set up in a dining room. There are electrical outlets, but they're not conveniently located near to where I set up. Since I have this amp, rather than run a long extension cord, I just use this amp at those gigs. Works perfectly. I like the tone of a Vox amp or a Peavey Bandit better than this for electric, but the Crate doesn't sound bad for what I do, which is clean to just a bit of grit.

Mine is an older version with a wood cabinet, and weighs about 30 lbs. Later iterations of this amp were made of molded plastic and weighed more like 20 lbs. The TX50 Limo amp appears to be discontinued, though it's still listed on the products page of the Crate website. Here in the USofA they can be found used. On ebay's "Sold" listings, from mid October to a couple of days ago, 6 have sold, ranging in price from US $203 - $400, averaging at $287. US $400 is what they sold for new.

13. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

14. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Vox also has a few portable amps

15. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Whatever you get turn it up real loud. That will have people throwing coffee in your face rather than dollars in your hat.
    RoCkstAr256 and Ira7 like this.

16. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    I always liked Pignose

17. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2011
    Deep-cycle marine battery, power inverter, and a small wagon or dolly. Then you use any small amp you have.

More power, better sound, and longer play time than any battery-powered portable.

18. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Been there, done that. Too much stuff to shlep, when you considering the self-powered options available these days.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

20. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Fun Performances

RoCkstAr256 and Archtop Bill like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.