Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MLB Playoffs And WS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    And a bunch of solo homers etc...thankfully it only went 10 innings...could have gone on til 2am cst...ugh

Steve Goodman's "Go Cubs Go" prevailed...better than this one...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Wyzsard likes this.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    That is quite the video, but I wonder how much the lives of Cubs fans will change now. Will they be diminished somewhat now that the Cubs are just another team that's won a World Series? There was something special about Cubs fans, but now, they've lost that endearing quality of rooting for the eternal underdog.
    And really, does the success of a sports team have any impact on our lives once the season is over?

P Thought likes this.

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Well, to your last point - yes and no. Grand scheme, it means little. It's like saying you died without seeing the Grand Canyon. I'd feel a little sorry for you, but it's not like it keeps you from living a fulfilling life. However, living in the heart of contested baseball country (Cubs, Cards, Sox), I won't have to listen to jokes about the loser Cubs anymore. That's a bonus. Plus, my kids won't have to say, "I wish Dad (or whoever) lived long enough to see this," like so many of us have said in the last day.

As for the first part, I think the fault in that thinking is that most Cubs fans didn't primarily identify with the team as underdogs or lovable losers to start with. It's just our team. Most of us identify with the team through family ties and tradition - for my generation that is summers spent watching them on WGN with Gram/Gramps and Harry and trips to Wrigley. I can remember every single on of those trips and each holds a little placemarker at to who I was at the time and who I was with. I think it may make any (hopeful) future WS wins less significant, but that's to be expected. Red Sox fans surely encountered the same thing in 2007. Some of that is the fact that recreating the drama of 3-1 comebacks (Sox in the ALCS of course) is tough to do, but also since there isn't any of the curse type stuff floating out there.

Wyzsard, P Thought and kelnet like this.

4. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Great response. Thanks for that.

-Hawk- likes this.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Congrats to the Cubs and their fans!

6. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I think what Hawk said is spot on about family tradition and the Cubs. My parents bleed Cubbie blue and my Dad made the comment that he had several relatives watching from the grave. In the post game celebration Ryan Dempster started to go into how it was about this particular team, but also the generations of fans and players who were part of the Cubs and the burden of all those years without a title.

As far as losing a certain identity (the lovable losers) because of winning the WS, who wants that label? Fans root for their teams to win. The whole "lovable losers" thing is cute to people who aren't fans, but there have been generations filled with disappointment. This finally vindicates all of that.

Wyzsard and P Thought like this.

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Kel, as far as I can see, the main change that occurs is when you have a losing team you naturally refer to it as "them"...

When you finally win a championship you now refer to that team as "us"...

kelnet and Wyzsard like this.

8. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    The Vancouver Canucks had an advertising slogan that said, "We are ALL Canucks." Every time I heard it, I thought, well, I haven't failed in my goals for the last 45 years, so I am definitely not a Canuck.

william tele likes this.

9. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    As a life long Cubs fan (my first memory was chillin in my crib at 11mths with the Cubs game on and Jack Brickhouse calling a Home Run "hey hey"). I don't feel any let down knowing the team won the World Series it is clear we won every year just by being Cubs fans!

Wyzsard likes this.

10. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

They estimated nearly 5 million people for the parade ?

That's wild.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.