Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MLB Playoffs And WS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Oct 4, 2016.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Growing up 1-1/2 hours outside of Chicago and seeing all the games on WGN, I was glad to see the Cubs win. It was painful at times because I prefer the old school attitudes of teams like the SF Giants, but the Cubs were humbled enough times by CLE that I felt like they went though all the trials and tribulations to deserve the title.

I do think that Maddon is one lucky SOB though. Mike Krukow on a morning talk show ripped him a new one for his moves in last night's game. The only disadvantage the Cubs had going into the game was a tired Chapman. The way that Maddon handled the pitching changes almost cost the Cubbies the title.

Great end to the baseball season!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Does the strike zone adjust to a player's height? Would a 5'6" player have the same strike zone as a 6'4" player?

[​IMG]
    It often seemed like the zone that was displayed on the TV broadcast was the same distance from the ground no matter who was at bat.

3. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    It is supposed to be different for each batter. There is folklore of an owner hiring a dwarf to take at bats back in the b&w days. Not sure what the outcome was, but I believe that it was considered a prank of sorts.

4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    Glad the Cubs won, but I'm sorry, Maddon choked. He completely mismanaged his pitchers last night and again tonight. I've seen him do it for years in Tampa Bay and now with the Cubs. He is a good manager - but tonight he choked and a very good Cubs team saved him from being the goat.

5. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    Edward Carl Gaedel was the midget who came to bat one time for the St. Louis Browns in a game against the Detroit Tigers. He walked on four straight balls.

6. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Did Maddan toss the wild pitch ? Did he commit the three errors ?
    Did he stand on the mound and refuse to make a play he's supposed to ?

Did the Indians ever take the lead ?

Understandable that taking Hendricks out would be questioned. I myself raised an eyebrow.

But the Cubs won. From a 3-1 hole to champs. That's all that matters. I have to think their manager had a little to do with that.

Maxwell Street likes this.

7. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    As a tactician, Maddon is average. Too impatient, often times overthinking. Had the luxury of the best starting pitching in baseball, otherwise his bullpen management would be more of an issue. As a motivator, he was brilliant. I can't think of another manager better suited to get those young Cub players to believe they could do it.....all year long.

Maddon and the Cubs, the best team in baseball for sure, also benefited from Cleveland's slow-pitch defense (Lindor excluded), especially the clown show in CF the last two nights.

lammie200 and Wyzsard like this.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I wouldn't argue that you are not correct in your assessment...but I would argue the benefit of it. If the Cubs won, what possible reason is there for pointing out the mistakes? Just seems kind of self serving...but that's just my opinion.

Coaches get enough Monday morning horse whipping in losing year...do they really need it when they win the World Championship?

Wyzsard likes this.

9. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Didn't know that.

Here he is.......

Gaedel.jpg

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Maddon does make some questionable calls. At the same time, he also lead a bunch of kids in their 20's to not only win a seemingly impossible WS, but one where they came from behind in 2 series while facing some downright nasty pitchers. Nobody does it right 100% of the time.

I'd kiss him if I saw him tomorrow.

Wyzsard and william tele like this.

11. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Pretty sure STL had a Gaedel bobblehead night this past season.

Wyzsard likes this.

12. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Agree with this, although pitchers from both teams were getting squeezed so it didn't appear either team was getting an advantage off of it. But yeah, very questionable at times

13. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

When I was around 6 or so I saw this movie. Don't remember much about it but thought of it last night.

images (6).jpg

14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    This wasn't the easiest thing to watch, but some of y'all will relate I think. Damn sentimental stuff won't go away today and that's fine. Wishing Grandma Butch, Grandpa Tom and Uncle Don in particular got to see this, but such is life. Instead I played the GCB song and danced, hugged and shook butts with my kiddos when I woke them up this morning. They won't have to say they wished I'd been around to see it.

Wyzsard likes this.

15. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    The turning point...Bryant homer in Game 5 at Wrigley...

Wyzsard likes this.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    The best team all season and last night won the Series.

The best manager (Francona) didn't win but that doesn't always happen.

I was conscious during last night's game of how it's one of the best games I've ever seen and that was only about half due to both teams long winless droughts.

17. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    Think back to when the Cubs hired Renteria then axed him as soon as Maddon became available...the right guy for the task at hand. And other decisions such as last year when they left Bryant in the minors when many were clamoring for his presence at the start of the season...gave the Cubs an extra year of control on his contract. There have been many twists and turns...subplots...it had to be this way, straight forward just wasn't the path...

Wyzsard likes this.

18. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    All the way down to blowing a three run lead with two outs in the 8th and winning in extras. Stubborn goat it was...

19. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I remember that movie as well when I was maybe 9. Every time I have brought it up since no one knew a thing about it.

Wyzsard likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.