Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MJT Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Doth, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    When you get to the point of aging the body, they will ask you to take a look at existing pics on their site and pick a few out that most closely represents the aging you're looking for. IMO explaining the specifics of aging is alright, but far more difficult to get than pics. I would suggest finding specific pics you like (whether it's on their site or elsewhere) and send those to them.

When they did my aging (see above), I mentioned that I wanted medium aging and something that looks like it's been legitimately on the road for the past 20+ years. I think they did a super job with it!

2. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Checked out an MJT 'tele' last Saturday and boy oh boy, what a nice guitar this turned out to be. Weighing in at just under 7lb the vintage tele style guitar had a lightly relic'd ash body with a truly outstanding display of grain under the clear finish. This, plus a set of excellent Fender Custom Shop 'Blackguard' pickups, a chunky but comfortable Licensed 'AllParts' maple neck, and tone and sustain to die for, ensured that this guitar just had to come home with me.

This is now my third MJT guitar; two teles and my gorgeous 'Hendrix' Strat.

Hard to find fault with any of the three, and they really are comparable to most of their more expensive rivals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Fender CS Blackguard pickups

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

3. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

sweeet

4. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas
    That grain pattern is wild.

5. thegaijin

thegaijin Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2012
    Tokyo
    Here's my new addition. MJT pine body, Warmoth neck.
    6F8D036A-60BB-4FF3-9EF2-779BE593F1C3.jpg

6. GGardner

GGardner TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    MJT painted a used G&L ASAT Tribute for me. I chose the like-new finish, as opposed to the beat-up look. I bought the guitar off Craigslist for $200 and loved the thin neck and pickups, but never warmed to the sunburst colors. P.S. They seem to be really nice guys.

IMG_0068.jpg

tonyj, Nubs, mannequin and 1 other person like this.

7. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I was thinking of letting them do something similar to my guitar(s). About how much did the repainting cost if you don't mind my asking?

8. GGardner

GGardner TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I honestly don't remember--it was back in 2013. I had a buddy strip off the poly finish (which he said was an absolute bear). You could just call them and ask how much they'll charge you. I had some leeway because I only paid $200 for the guitar.

9. j-bro

j-bro TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Winchester MA
    This thread has been very helpful. Nice collection of beautiful work by the MJT folks and ideas from all of you. Haven't seen a Tele in the bunch that I wouldn't be happy to play. I just recently put an order in for a medium relic, Alder bodied, sonic blue friend. I've got some Glendale parts and SD Antiquities sitting around that will find their way into the build. Went with a Musikraft medium C neck, rosewood on maple. Trying to capture the '63 or so vibe. Will post it when I get it. The folks from MJT are an absolute pleasure to work with. Really solid folks.

Nubs likes this.

10. j-bro

j-bro TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Winchester MA
    This is a great idea btw. I've loved my G&Ls...except for the finish. Certainly super high quality, I just don't dig the poly. Nice to get that lacquer finish.

11. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2011
    Midlothian, IL
    Another one on the way!!! Going for a mid 50's blonde/maple neck tele this time. I have everything figured out except the pickups. Fender OV's, Duncan 55' Antiquity set or Dawgtowns Nocaster set. Luckily I have some time to decide.

purpletele and j-bro like this.

12. j-bro

j-bro TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Winchester MA
    Any thoughts about looking at Klein Broadcaster PUPs? Look interesting.

13. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2011
    Midlothian, IL
    Never tried Kleins. I hear great things about them but that goes with most other winders too. So many options now it can be overwhelming.

RevBillyG likes this.

14. j-bro

j-bro TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Winchester MA
    Yeah that's true. We're living in a golden age of equipment. Hard to decide which way to go with so many options. Fralin, Mare, SD, Klein, Fender...

15. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2011
    Midlothian, IL
    Well Mare is having a July sale right now. That may be a great option and save some cash.

16. j-bro

j-bro TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Winchester MA
    Will look into that. Was planning on putting my spare antiquities into my forthcoming MJT, but wouldn't some hayrides be nice...

17. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    No question about it, Mark & Matt are both top shelf people...they're finishing up a Ocean Metallic Turquoise double bound custom for me....waiting for a set of Joel Foy pups from Don Mare to finish up the " rocket ", the name comes from a decal that I had made for this build...
    RJ

j-bro and Nubs like this.

18. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    I have a set of Don's Hayrides in my main custom tele and I love them!! I have a set of the Joel Foy pups for the guitar nearing completion at MJT. I went thru a ton of pups until I tried Don's pups...I'm completely happy with all aspects of Don's pups, his attention to detail and his customer service is second to none....I have no affiliation with Don Mare ( although I wish I did! ).

RJ

19. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Not sure if I've posted this or not, but here's my '60 style Tele Custom by MJT.

[​IMG]

baiff, j-bro, rjtwangs and 1 other person like this.

20. davidtelemorris

davidtelemorris TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Liverpool
    Damn that looks so so so nice! Finish is stunning! Is that a satin finish?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.