Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mixol "recipes"

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by bendeane, Jan 30, 2013.

1. bendeane

bendeane Tele-Meister

Anybody know of any "recipes" using mixol pigments for some common fender or gibson colors? I keep changing my mind on how I want to finish my first partscaster. Poplar back with maple top. Already sealed it with shellac. Ideas?

2. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I have a blackguard recipe in my x12 build using Mixol pigments and lacquer

My formula for the color coats consists of:
    18 oz. clear deft lacquer
    12oz. lacquer thinner
    20 ml (1 bottle) Mixol number 25 - white
    300 drops Mixol number 6
    200 drops Mixol number 5

I think Colt has one too.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

I did a butterscotch blonde with mixol in waterbased lacquer on my "d-oh" thread, and i think a separate recipe thread for the finish. Here and at targetcoatings.com (there's a recipes section and a luthier's section in the forum there).

Of course you have to decide whether you want an almost white color, an amber yellow, or something with a little salmon-pink in it.

My guideline was one of Ron Kirn's threads where he uses regular lacquer, a bit of white, a dash of amber, drop of brown, and voila. He makes it look easy. It almost is.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.