Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mixing the MXR Carbon Copy and a Boss DD3

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by McGlamRock, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I recently put two delay pedals on my board. I was hoping to set my Carbon Copy to be like a mild reverb and then set the DD3 to get that dotted 8th note sound while using my Mesa's distortion channel.

My reverb in my amp is busted, so I was hoping I could leave the CC on all the time to "dampen" my signal. But when I kick on the DD3 (doing the dotted 8th delay sound), and get the two going at the same time the result is not good. The sound gets very muddy and just not pleasant at all.

So far I'm setting the CC to the dotted eighth sound and making the DD3 sound more live a reverb. The result isn't great though- I wouldn't want to gig with this set up. But it's better than the first try.

I'm gonna keep messing around with them at home...

But the DD3 and the CC are legit delay pedals. Anyone else using both of these pedals simultaneously? Any settings tips for someone new to using two delays?

2. jonhart

jonhart Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Myakka City, FL
    I used to use that combo. The DD-3 doesn’t really do the dotted eighth thing since it doesn’t have subdivisions and tap tempo. I used to come close to that sound with the DD-3 set for slapback and the Carbon Copy set longer. I’m personally not a huge fan of using delay by itself, I like a little reverb with it.

I would highly recommend messing with the mix of each pedal. With delay a little goes a long way. You might not have the muddiness issue if you turn the mix down a bit.

jimash and McGlamRock like this.

3. McGlamRock

Thanks for sharing that Jon.

For some reason I thought the DD3 was the pedal folks used for longer delays... With that in mind, when I get home I'm gonna take a second look at where I have each pedals mix set

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I would probably set the Carbon Copy for a single short repeat and then follow it up with a longer delay setting on the DD-3. Start with low mix levels on both and work from there.

5. McGlamRock

After a little messing around yesterday, I have my delays synced to my liking.

I ended up setting the CC (first in the chain) to one short repeat and then the DD3, set to a reverb-y sound. As suggested the levels are set low (both levels are at 9 or 10 o'clock).

Bringing the board to practice tonight, so hopefully everything sounds good cranked!

RetroTeleRod likes this.

6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA

7. Acey

Acey TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Illinois
    Are you using distortion with your delays? If so, the placement of delay can make a difference between in front of Distortion or after distortion

8. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I agree with the post about how setting a dotted 1/8 on a DD3 is near impossible.
    Given that combination, ( MXR CC and Boss DD-3) I would set up the CC for a chorused delay, and shoot for a time of approximately 120Ms, or 240-450 Ms.
    Then I;d set the DD model for 1/2 second or more precisely about 480 milliseconds. ( You don;t want it to lag)
    So set the first one up for your nice rockabilly or sweet chorus delay and then tweak the second one so it is longer but even and in synch.
    On my DD-2 this setting is on the 800 ms click, with the time set to about 2:00 on a clock face.

9. McGlamRock

I am using distortion. The delay effect is very intense when I use my Mesa’s distortion channel with the delay. I also use a TS9, an eq, and a chorus.

I’ve thought about running some of my pedals through the effects loop but every time I mess around with it nothin sounds right.

Id be interested to hear if you have any suggestions?

10. Acey

Acey TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Illinois
    If you’re using your amp distortion the delay should be in your effects loop if you have one. If using pedal distortion you should have your delay in front of the distortion. The opposite way creates way too much delay with Distortion. Hope that helps give it a shot

McGlamRock likes this.

11. Acey

Acey TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Illinois

12. Acey

Acey TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Illinois
    All of my amps I usually run clean and use a distortion pedal. My Mesa I also run clean.

13. McGlamRock

I use pedal distortion (TS-9), sometimes amp distortion (my Mesa), and sometimes both. Sounds like I'm gonna have to compromise with my delay or my distortion...

Acey likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.