Mixing nitro and poly parts

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by jz63, Jun 18, 2019.

1. jz63

jz63 Tele-Holic

I’m putting together a parts caster using a custom built nitro finished body and the only neck I have at the moment is a Fender Mexican polyurethane 50s classic. Is this an acceptable practice around these parts (pun intended!)?

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

You and me both mate...I actually don't seem to get on with a nitro neck (at least the more modern ones like the Classic 50s lacquer I have), so poly neck seems better for me. I like the crazed effect on nitro bodies though, so I'll be painting the body with nitro and freeze spraying it for that effect.

The best 'Fender' neck I currently have is poly, on a 1982 JV Squier Strat, but that could just be that I'm so used to holding it after all these years anything else doesn't measure up as well.

jz63 likes this.
  3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

as long as everything is dry, you are good to go. The issue with the 2 happen during the finishing process before they start to dry and cure.

jz63 likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can use whatever you like. You could also spray nitro over the poly headstock and have it check too if you like that look. Either way it should look good.
    Unacceptable might be a Mexican standard neck with modern logo and nitro body.
    Then again some may like the modern meets 60s look or just be concerned about playability.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    jz63 and KelvinS1965 like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Doesn't matter.

jz63 likes this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

My Jag is poly neck and nitro body... As are the MiM roadworns. The necks, though relic’d, are polyurethane, while the bodies are nitro.

KelvinS1965 and jz63 like this.
  7. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Not to be rude, but what difference does it make wether your choice in guitars is acceptable to the users of an Internet forum? Who gives a crap what we think? It’s your guitar; if you like it then play and enjoy it. If the validation of tdpri users will influence you personal choices, you might want to consider taking a break from this place.

8. Jorgen83

Jorgen83 TDPRI Member

I really don’t like the orange color of most nitro necks anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.