Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mix Review

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by goldguitarguy, Feb 17, 2017.

1. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2010
    Alberta,canada
    I always creep this part of the forums but I never post anything. This song is a little outside the box compared to most of what I've been listening to on here. I played all the instruments on the track. It's not complete yet,I'm waiting to get a channel strip before I record any vocals for it then I'll add some fills. Plus I'm not a great drummer so I done independent/layered four bar beats and looped them. This is also Rev 2 already, I changed the piano part and the mix a little. This is my first real smack at mixing, I haven't tried to master anything yet. IMO I still think the bass is weak on some systems even though it's loud on my monitors. I use Rokit 6s, maybe it's my room cause I don't have any treatment yet?

Anywho, let me know what you guys thinks and thanks in advance for the tips!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    BlueCollarBoy likes this.

2. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    That's a pretty nice piece of recording, considering it's your debut! The heavy guitar chords are a little forward from where I sit, but the bass is fat and round. Nice dynamics and clean tracks. Thumbs up!

3. goldguitarguy

Oct 4, 2010
    Alberta,canada
    Well thanks for the kind words Woody! A fella should probably use some compression or reverb to get those guitars to sit back in the mix a little?

4. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Yeah, especially those big power chords — they jump out in yer face, at least on my monitors. You can back 'em up without losing the dynamic effect. Keep swingin' the hammer!

P.S. — OT: You're not from Calgary by any chance, are you? My band played a memorable two-week stand at the King Eddy in spring 1980. Loved it up there!

5. goldguitarguy

Oct 4, 2010
    Alberta,canada
    I'm about 6 hours north of Calgary where the air hurts your face ...hahahah I'm originally from Newfoundland, ventured up this way for work.

6. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Dang! That's some serious northerly latitude! Sorry for the OT, and now back to our regularly scheduled thread!

7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Agreed that you need to finish the song.
    The vocals will become the glue that holds the song together.
    What is the song about? What emotion do you want us to feel?

Even though the tracks sound delicious, I'm a bit concerned that
    you have such a long intro, almost a full minute!
    Unless you are thinking of putting a vocal line in that space somewhere,
    otherwise it stays as an elongated intro.

Even if you gave us a scratch vocal, it would help as a listener
    to formulate the song in our heads. Otherwise, it's a very nice
    and well documented recording of emotional guitar playing.

Like me, I sometimes have instrumentals that need a main lyric, melodic line
    or I can at least put the rhythm track to video and still create a sense
    of clarity with emotional content.

Woody is right though, it does sound good. What equipment are
    you using? Reverb, delay? Amps? Mics?

8. studio

May 27, 2013
    California
    I'm not being too critical am I?

Really, continue? Okay.....

That piano part is cool but it comes out of left field
    towards the end of the song.

Is there a way to introduce it way earlier in the tune
    so that it doesn't scare the children when they hear it?
    Maybe as part of the intro build up?

I am so sorry for being so wordy. T-t-t-too much coffee.

9. goldguitarguy

Oct 4, 2010
    Alberta,canada
    Hahaha...no worries Studio...lol

It's great to get feedback.

Yeah the Intro is the only first eight bars,so about 20 seconds. Im just leaving the clean guitar on the intro , then the lryics with some ringing clean guitar chords(with wah or tremolo or something,still tinkering) will come in as soon as the drums kick in. There is also an extra eight bars after the first chorus I plan to put some piano in on. Still fiddling around with the part yet.

As for equipment Im using Cubase 9 with an older Tascam u1641 interface. PRS Custom 24 with hand wound pickups through a Digitech rp1000 straight in. Yamaha bass was through a 7 band EQ then straight in. The drums are Yamaha Electrics straight in. The drums sounds are from different kits in the set,recorded separate and layered. Piano is just midi through Addictive Keys plugin.

10. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    If you're having trouble with the bass being heard on systems like small crappy speakers with bad bass response, in addition to your standard low end on the bass, give it a little bump at 700k, 1000k, and 1500k which should give it some energy in the audible range on systems with weak bass. Or double the track and cut the highs and lows, and use it as a way to push some midrange by tucking it in underneath the standard bass part until it gives the effect. A lot of rock guys will distort the midrangey double which sounds cool too.
    Also good on the kick drum, like for example, you give it a little bump at 50hz for your standard kick drum thump, but also give it a shelf at 5k to give it some juice up in the audible range on all systems so it isn't lost. The kick drum on this track sounds like it already has this, and I am listening on a laptop with basically zero bass and I hear the kick drum, but the bass is weak on these speakers.
    Overall I think this is great as far as I can judge on the laptop.

11. studio

May 27, 2013
    California
    Those are good techniques to use somewhere.
    there's also the hard compression on a doubled track,
    same as the distorted track trick. It fools the ear in
    thinking there's added or emphasized harmonic content going on.
    Much like one of those exciters.

12. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 15, 2017
    Bedford, UK
    I was wondering why it was all so quiet and distant sounding but then realised I had my headphones in but they weren't plugged in! D'oh!

I am completely unqualified to critique the recording in detail but I will say I love the stereo placement and I love the track! I wish I could record stuff that sounds this good - so clear and punchy. Great playing too - this is the kind of stuff I could listen to endlessly.

13. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    Alright I am giving a disclaimer: If you don't want to be back seat mixed stop reading now :p I am home listening on my regular speakers and headphones now.
    What about moving the high singing parts more toward the middle so they would draw more attention, as the lead parts, and just that would make the power chords less attention grabbing. The high singing guitar parts sound great btw. Like maybe try 50% left and right or even 25%. I would try em in a few different widths, but I guess mainly I'd be trying to get them away from the same stereo space as the power chords. I think the power chords are bright and pretty high in the mix. Changing one or both would make them less attention hogging I think. I like how they sound but here they are drawing too much attention I agree with the Woodman.
    I can hear the bass on headphones and I think it could use some more cut in the higher registers.
    The song overall has a really cool sound.

14. goldguitarguy

Oct 4, 2010
    Alberta,canada
    I did turn down the heavy guitar a bit and add in compression and reverb. I also EQ'd them a little different so they're not as harsh. The lead part I added duplicated tracks for each, cause I only had one track left and one right but both were different recordings. So that made them stand out a little more.

I'll be posting it later tonight or tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.