Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mix opinions, pointers

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by popthree, Nov 6, 2018.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I'm hoping to make a simple album at home. It Will be very sparse, mostly due to my limited musical abilities. I sat down last night to start trying to figure out if I can do this myself, and quickly recorded a song. Thrre are performance issues with the take so I will re do it, but I'm wanting opinions on the sound quality of the recording and all of that. Thank you

https://www.reverbnation.com/thebonanzalunchbox/song/30181234-still-want-you--demo--sketch

2. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2008
    Hingham, MA
    I'm still at work and listened on lap top... I liked the fact that the guitar isn't muddy, has a nice presence in terms of space/closeness. You seemed to get a nice clear/clean vocal as well.

I'll listen again on monitors when I get home this evening. I am a recording hack and can only tell you what I hear from a "listener"! :)

BTW, what is your set-up? How did you mic this test?

I'm sure other experienced guys will be chiming in shortly!

Thanks for posting! I'm sure you can complete your project!

Good Luck!

KC

popthree likes this.
  3. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2008
    Hingham, MA
    I'm still at work and listened on lap top... I liked the fact that the guitar isn't muddy, has a nice presence in terms of space/closeness. You seemed to get a nice clear/clean vocal as well.

I'll listen again on monitors when I get home this evening. I am a recording hack and can only tell you what I hear from a "listener"! :)

Good Luck!

KC

4. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2008
    Hingham, MA

Good Luck!

KC

5. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. Nothing sucks. :D Good audio clarity, dynamics without blare, so production values are on the right track in the context of what amounts to a stripped-down track.

The question is, where are you going with this? I listened to a couple of your other tracks, so I know your scope is beyond the singer/songwriter production you've got here. Are you going to do backing tracks? Vocal harmony overdubs?

IOW, are you looking to give this full production, or do you just want to polish it up as a guy-and-guitar piece? Any opinions/pointers need to be in relation to *your* recording goal here.

You're headed down a long lonesome road, one many of us here have trod. Our bud Martin R generally makes some remark here like "say goodbye to life as you've known it." ... Recording is a rabbit hole, but you've got plenty of similarly crazed compadres here to help you get going.

Martin R likes this.
  6. popthree

KCKC, thanks for listening and responding.. i'm also a recording 'hack' and much more of a listener.. i don't know a lot about this stuff.. but Woodman and others have pointed me down the path before so maybe i retained a little bit from other tries. my setup is about as simple as it gets. i have a scarlet 2i2 into a pc running reaper as the DAW. i have my mics plugged directly into the scarlet, no mixer, no outboard gear, nothing. i have a small "myers" condenser mic on the guitar and the vocal is a Heil PR20. there is some bleed from one to the other since it is a live take. i have an EQ & Comp plugin on both tracks after recording, and a D'esser on the vocal too. then on the master i have a light reverb.

Woodman, i think i'm going to try to keep the whole album very "uncluttered" and "sparse", so not a lot of production beyond what is on this take. i have a former barber (before i started dodging haircuts) who plays fiddle pretty well, so i'm thinking of asking him to track a few things on some of the songs, and i'm also thinking about asking 1 or more female vocalists to help out with some lovely harmonies. that's as far as my mind has taken this as yet. as far as what i will do with it once completed, i'm not really sure. but i haven't recorded any of these songs beyond very crude stages, and many, not at all, and i feel its important to do that. if it turns out well enough, maybe i'll get a dozen vinyl albums cut and give them to a few friends.

maybe i am not realistic, but i'm hoping once i get my little process settled, i can crank out the basic, primary tracks over a weekend, or 2. it's all songs of my own creation, about half of them i know really well, the other half are recent writes so those may be harder. the hardest part, initially anyway, is going to be coaxing the right performance out of myself.

Martin R likes this.
  7. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Now that you're adding parts, consider using a click track. When you start mixing you'll know why.

woodman and popthree like this.
  8. popthree

Hiw do you know I wasnt playing to a click? My timing is perfect.

knockeduptele likes this.
  9. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    :D

suthol likes this.
  10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I didn't hear any lack of musical abilities. You're recording vocal and acoustic guitar, which IMO are two of the hardest things ( after drums). There was a good range of dynamics in the song, and I didn't detect any distortion. I would like the levels up though. I think if it's just a singer and guitar, I want to hear it like I'm right *there* next to the singer, like I can hear him breathe, hear the guitar breathe. But maybe that's just me. Recording acoustic guitar is an art in itself, and I don't even attempt it any more. There are some smart guys here who can help though.

You've got some multi-tracking going on judging from the haunting Forlorn Loop, so I think you're on your way. IMO Still Want You would really benefit from some backing, and if your only reason for avoiding it is 'limited musical abilities' I think you've got to put that one behind you and have a crack at it.

Looking forward to the rest of the album!

11. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    I didn't.

popthree likes this.
  12. popthree

forlorn loop is actually all done on a boomerang looper, quite spontaneously. after i had it all banked up in the looper, i stuck a mic in front of the amp and recorded it. :)

13. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    You've got some good stuff there Mike. I can hear Crash Helmet with a grunge band backing it. I really want to hear that song with a high energy band!

popthree likes this.
  14. popthree

Thanks man

15. Lizard

Lizard Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2012
    Left of the Dial
    I think you are off to a good start. Solid tune. Production-wise, if you are looking to keep the instrumentation sparse (vocal/guitar) I think you can benefit with a little more body on the guitar, either through eq or a second mic closer to the sound hole (or over your shoulder possibly). If eq, maybe a little boost in the warmer frequencies (200 - 400). A touch of reverb too.

All of this is specific to "Still Want You", BTW. Roll with it! And welcome to the never ending chase.

popthree likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.