Misophonia. Who else has it? How aren't we in jail yet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by G.Rotten, Mar 23, 2019.

1. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

At 42 years old I have never been in a real fight or struck anyone.......well at all, let alone in anger. I would have say I feel I'm good at being tolerant & letting things slide. What I'm saying is I'm a mostly relaxed non violent person.

However, I occasionally envision myself stabbing an open mouth chewer in the neck and watching them bleed out while I stomp their bag of chips into oblivion.

Then I focus really really hard to block them & go about my business.

It's worse if I'm running at less than 100%. You know, tired, sick, stressed. It also depends on who. A kid? Well, they haven't finished learning manners yet. A grown ass adult? It's probably in our best interest if I just leave.

It's not just chewing (though that one angers me the most because it is easily solved by simply remembering what your lips are for), it's crinkles & crackles & drips & tapping too.

No analog clocks in my house & if I visit you overnight know I pulled the battery from yours then reset the time in the morning. But I didn't smash it to pieces like I wanted to so it's a win right?

Anyone else in this camp? My GF thinks I'm crazy.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    demon, jackinjax, bcorig and 3 others like this.
  2. 55er

55er TDPRI Member

Well I don't know if I have that specifically, but I know that when Im out I have a severe intolerance to people talking loudly, obnoxious behaviour or swearing, especially around children. Yeah, then I want to do them physical harm. Otherwise, Im a pretty chilled out cat.... :)

Cheers, Scott.

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't know that this was a thing.

I am extremely aggravated by electric hand dryers in public restrooms. Some are worse than others , but they all make my ears hurt.

Vacuum cleaners are similar, although the newer "silent" type are OK.

I completely understand why cats and dogs will hide when you vacuum. It's like someone stabbing me in the ear.

Show me someone who thinks electric hand dryers are a good idea and I'll show you a potential hearing aid customer.

mad dog and 8barlouie like this.
  4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

It weren’t the dryers what did me in but the Motörhead.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm able to pretty effectively tune out annoying noises, I have found that learning to do this makes for a much calmer daily existence.

awasson and PacificChris like this.
  6. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think your GF is right:confused:

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I definitely enjoy silence a good part of the time. Today's world is a freakin' noisy, media-flooded, crazed-world.

That's why I like the country, where it's nice and quiet and I can think peacefully! Play some guitar. Play with the dogs. Shoot some guns. And ignore the political insanity that's come out of the woodwork lately.

I can't say that I'm misophonic. But sometime I'm hyperacusis.

8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've found that a combination of tinnitus and HF hearing loss has cured me of this.

awasson, ce24, DFB1 and 2 others like this.
  9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You gotta pick your battles. At least you can walk away.

Talking/texting while driving is just roulette. I see it all day, every day. If there's a ticket quota to be made why aren't they pulling these a$$hats over left right & center. They don't even hide it!

awasson, howardlo, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  10. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I know someone who emits these huge gulping noises whenever they drink something, followed by a sigh like they're catching their breath. They're not even taking huge gulps, though that's what it sounds like. I don't know why, the sound just bothers me.

I also have a coworker who talks with food in her mouth, and it sounds like way too much food in way too little mouth, and even without looking you can see her lips trying to hold it all in instead of waiting until after she's swallowed to speak. Obviously there's the manners component. And if I think about it I'm annoyed by the idea that she can very easily avoid the obvious difficulty she's having, and yet doesn't (part of me wants to say she refuses to). I don't know if that's misophonia, because it's not just the sound that bothers me, though the sound itself does also bother me.

Vacuum cleaners bother me as well, but funnily enough, hand dryers don't. That's probably because hand dryers go on for maybe a minute, while vacuuming a house can easily be 20-30 minutes of that constant, un-changing, un-modulating, obnoxious howl. There are louder, "uglier" sounds that don't bother me as much, because what gets to me seems to be the constance. I suppose never-ending feedback or flatline-type sounds would be similar in that respect.

Finally, I can't stand a too-loud television. TV-sound isn't great in the first place; perhaps it's the compression that bothers me, and then the high volume just makes it worse. Also, TV in general is disproportionately, aggressively idiotic, be it programs or commercials, so having that shouted in your face is no fun.

This may be counter-intuitive, given the length of my post, but none of these is more than a pet peeve for me. So I doubt it's misophonia. For those who are interested, if you're familiar with ASMR, there's an idea that ASMR and misophonia are two sides of the same coin. Being "abnormally" (for lack of a better term) into certain sounds vs being "abnormally" put off by certain sounds.

G.Rotten and JayFreddy like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I hate loud noises. I have been known to pull the plug out of the wall on juke boxes, you'll meet a lot of interesting people doing that.

12. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Lots of autistic people are hyper sensitive to all kinds of sounds. Maybe you’re on the spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

I grew up in an era and area where you either learned to fight or you got your ass kicked on a daily basis. I was a really quick study and nothing nice. Today I still carry myself in such a way that even the most pant sagging wanna be gangsta looks at me like. Bet that old man's a nasty bit of business, probably packing and knows how to use it too. Actually had a few hold the door and call me sir. Worlds full of sheep, wolfs and those at the top of the food chain called human. Which are you? I have no wish to harm you but I'm quite capable of doing so. Bring yourself to the level of those under you and you become just as them. Let the wolfs and sheep do what they do, its natures way. The humans job is to be the shepherd

stratofortress and oatsoda like this.
  14. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I'll chime in regarding the above comment.
    I'm just shy a fortnight of 72 and here's my take.

One should always choose wisely.....IOW....always cherry pick one's battles in life.
    One should not be sucked into/inject yourself into dramas or confrontations when the odds do not favor the positive outcome that you desire.
    Most of the time regret will rear it's head when one remembers the world (people behavior) does not revolve around our personal boundaries or sense of social etiquette or tolerance.
    Have I wanted to make things right on more that one occasion....absolutely!

Before allowing one's emotions to take over (however justifiably your desired reaction :)) I'd suggest removing oneself from the immediate environment regardless of the venue.
    Party at a friend's house, family gathering, social event.....doesn't matter.
    By removing yourself you've sent a message and people will know where you stand and what you will tolerate based on that reaction.

My life experiences do not end at the sidewalk and I've been in some unpleasant situations.
    But....I've never been in a fight either as no one has ever foocked with me.
    A bit of luck....maybe so.

Am I still vulnerable to succumb to my emotions in an isolated risky context?....oooooh yes.
    When I took TKD my Master asked me "why" do you want to take TKD....I said the following:
    "If I see three punks trying to rob someone at an ATM machine I want to have the confidence and ability to take control of that situation".
    It may not be my best decision but I'd still take pleasure in administering proper punishment in the above context regardless of personal risk.

G.Rotten....it's not "letting things slide."...it's thinking clearly without emotion clouding judgment.
    Got a chuckle out of a couple of your comments....I hear you. :)

Buuut....that's just me....submitted with a bit of serious levity. (that may be an oxymoron)

Carry on....no hijack intended.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    bcorig and G.Rotten like this.
  15. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

16. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Huh, I thought miso-phonia referred to a hatred of or sensitivity to Japanese sauces and soups made from fermented soy beans. Learn something new every day.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

you know what really tees me off? public speakers up on light poles blaring tinny pop music, as if to provide "atmosphere"

and televisions EVERYWHERE

seriously, what is wrong with people?

18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

It's not a sensitivity to overwhelming sounds. Sudden & or loud noises are fine. My triggers can be any volume, but are rarely loud due to the nature of the common sources.

There are just some sounds that are triggers for extreme emotion. But that emotion is rage Before I even know what the sound source is I'm already angry. Then once past that initial instant reaction, it's easy to be fine with it.

I used the chip bag as an example because it has a few triggers for me. The rustling of the bag, the no lip bite a chip in half crispy sound & the worst if someone continues to chew with their mouth open. If someone were eating chips beside me, though I don't like the first 2 sounds, I can easily ignore them. Those are simply the sounds plastic and chips make

The chewing adds a layer because it's completely avoidable & kind of a big F.U. to being considerate of other people & it's hard to move past. Even harder if they're aware it bothers you, but not aware they're still doing it.

But the problem isn't just food related, that's just the most common trigger. I have a watch I never wear because I can't stand the ticking sound. It's typically higher pitched sounds. So crispy is bad, crunchy is fine. Tick is bad, tock is fine.

Once I was chilling in the back yard having a small campfire. I kept hearing this noise that was driving me nuts. Turns out I was hearing the worms moving under the dry leaves. Once I figured out the source it was easy to ignore & I thought it was pretty cool. But the initial immediate reaction to the sound was anger.

I'm fully aware it's abnormal & irrational & that it's my problem not anyone's else's. I've had it as long as I can remember & only learned the name a few years ago. My sister is way worse. I'm actually surprised she hasn't taken someone down yet. Lol.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I doubt it, most likely they will not even notice, and at any rate I think it's highly improbable they'll make the connection

we generally think those around us take note of us more than they actually do. It can be a relief to learn that people don't generally share our own narcissism towards our persons (if you will pardon that impossible half-sentence), and are generally indifferent towards us

20. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

If the headline reads "Several people rushed to ER to have a leaf blower nozzle removed from their posterior," probably will be in my neighborhood!:lol:

Wildcard_35 and G.Rotten like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.