Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mismatched color on 50s American original Tele!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sonny wolf, Feb 14, 2018.

1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    So Fender discontinued the 2012-2017 era 52 Telecaster which for my taste was the perfect Telecaster...I am glad I managed to buy two of them.Now with this new American original series they went back to the 1982-2012 era darker amber blonde color which is nice too but not with a pale white neck!!!The older 1982-2012 52 reissues had a tinted neck that matched that body color and looked great.It implied a 50s Tele that ambered over the years into that more orange blonde color that some actually did.Now these new American Original 50s Teles look wrong with an aged looking body but a pristine white neck.Makes no sense Fender...get it right!!!Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

They should make it like this instead:
    [​IMG]

2. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    I couldn’t agree more.

sonny wolf likes this.

3. TheYeti

TheYeti TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2016
    South Carolina
    They obviously hope that no one will care. Which might explain why they keep saying, "Hey look, it has a 9.5" radius and modern switching." It also looks more orange, even under the bright lights, than the pre 2012 '52 reissue telecaster.

sonny wolf likes this.

4. sonny wolf

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    Sure in a few years the neck will likely amber as it ages and match the body color a bit better.But the way it looks brand new now would actually be a dealbreaker for me...I wouldn't buy one if it looked like that especially at close to $2000.For that money they better give me something gorgeous to look at instead of cringing at it.I'm calling Fender customer service tommorow to get them to rectify this matter!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    daddyplaysbass, MickM and FredDairy like this.

5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Totally agree with you.
    The only thing I can add is that my PV 52 neck has darkened rather quickly, maybe these OV necks will do the same. Otherwise the colors will be heavily mismatched.

sonny wolf likes this.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    That photo posted by the OP looks ridiculous. If that was a cheap import I would laugh. The fact that it is Fender is enough to make me weep.

I actually don't like the pumpkin body anyway so to have a pumpkin neck would be even worse.

AAT65 likes this.

7. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Jeez, some people laughed at me for complaining it didn’t have genuine 50’s radius and frets but complain the colour ain’t quite right. :lol:

Not aimed at you OP, just a general statement. I see your point and agree with it. What would your preference be? All evenly tinted or all looking like it would brand new in 1952?

Wally likes this.

8. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    100 % agree, the pale white neck is a total deal killer. Sad but the first thing I think of is a $299 offshore tele.

Obsessed and sonny wolf like this.

9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I just don't get the AO series or all the custom shops with modern features. I mean where do you draw thr line? It's like selling a kid a classic muscle car but it has a user friendly automatic transmission, air conditioning and parking assist. ...Wait just a minute, you're killing all the real mojo here! Turning that kid into a poser. Why not let them respect the original design and fight with it a little so they can have the reward of taming the beast. Mojo earned. Sorry for ranting all over your thread.

sonny wolf likes this.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I been on this site a long time. We've had complaints about both sides of everything. Necks too white. Necks too dark. Body too yellow. Body too white. When 50's Classics came out everyone's wiping them with coffee grounds and boot polish. Fact is no-one knows how yellow they were. Or how pale. And guys whinged and bitched about vintage frets and radius.

So Fender watch what people do. They see people building partscasters, or buying FSRs for full retail. So given sales of AVs are probably slowing, bring something new.

If you want the older one, go buy it.

11. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Oh dear .. but to be honest nobody forces you to buy that guitar :)

12. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa

Noone except for a few die hards want that mojo. And even among those who actually own vintage gear have a huge preference for larger frets when refretting.

But plenty of builders (including the fender custom shop) will build you whatever you prefer .. and is that too rich for your blood then just visit the used market.

Fender is a business. If there actually was a demand for vintage spec necks then they'd be spitting them out all day long :)

MitchMiami, maxvintage and hellopike like this.

13. sonny wolf

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas

My favourite 52 reissue Tele is the 2012-2017 PV model...they nailed exactly the look,tone,vibe,sound,playability that I personally love for a Tele.I also did like the previous 1982-2012 era ones...I own an amazing 2011 model that I will never sell.Those had an amber neck tint that matched the darker amber blonde color of the body which I find beautiful too.I love a lighter yellow blonde with a matched neck first but the darkened ambered look is beautiful too.My issue is a mismatched pale neck with an 'aged' body...everything has to match evenly to my eye.

It's like seeing some R9 Gibson Les Paul 1959 reissues that have a lemon burst top over a still full cherry red back and sides....doesn't make sense to my eye.If an original Cherry Burst Les Paul lost it's red on the top over the years and faded to a lemon color then the red on the sides and back would have faded too...probably to a cinammon brown color.But seeing a mismatched virgin white neck on a Tele bolted to an ambered body just bugs my eye everytime I look at it....kinda like wearing pink pants with a red shirt(ha!ha!)!!

FredDairy and mimmo like this.

14. sonny wolf

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    A guitar that Fender sells for close to $2000 now looks like a Squier budget guitar that sells for around $200:

[​IMG]

TheYeti, DanDII, gobi_grey and 2 others like this.

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Weep? Really?

"What's the matter, honey?"

"Fender used colors I don't like!"

esetter, Ebidis, swany and 4 others like this.

16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Here is a the image of the AO 50s tele on fender's website

[​IMG]

I don't actually see a mismatch. But I haven't seen one of these in the store yet. Maybe it will make me weep when I see it, because it's not an imitation of a 40 year old tele that actually didn't look amber/yellow when it was new?

Looks like a nice tele. 9.5 radius? Ok by me. Big frets? Oh noe's, I prefer small frets! what is wrong with the idiots at fender!!??!??!

esetter, Ebidis, hellopike and 2 others like this.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Yes I cry over guitars all the time :)

dlew919 and maxvintage like this.

18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I think they should drop that color completely.

hellopike likes this.

19. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I've said it before, Fender failed when they dropped the PV line.
    I'm toying with the idea of hording another 2012-2017 PV but I'd have to sell a Strat...

gobi_grey likes this.

20. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I hope they release a tie dye telecaster with EMGs and call it a 1940s American original.

How dare fender release a product that isn't to my tastes!!!

Ebidis, BorderRadio, Crobbins and 2 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.