Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Minor Blues Ted Greene style

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by klasaine, Jan 11, 2018.

1. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Here is a relatively simple and jazzy C minor blues progression ala Ted Greene.
    This example comes from the legendary yet often misunderstood (and maligned) volume, "Chord Chemistry". Or, as Ted sometimes referred to it, Chord Catastrophe.
    The best parts of that book are the chapters before and after the actual chord dictionary. This is from section 18, 'Blues Progressions' and depending on your edition it will either be on page 103 or 104. Minor blues beginning with this Cm6 voicing: 8X788X

TG_Cm_blues.png

2. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Very cool, Ken!

I know what I'll be messing around with this weekend.

Cheers,
    Doug

klasaine likes this.

3. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    Very blue and cool.

I love it!

klasaine likes this.

4. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    I should clarify something in the written example/diagram.

Cm_blues_legend.png

* The numbers represent the measures.
    * The chord names below the numbers represent the 'basic' chord changes of a minor blues (i iv i VI V i).
    * The voicing diagrams below that, or what TG refers to as inversion suggestions, are the chords that I play in the video.
    Some measures have one chord per measure, some have two and three per measure (there are slashes underneath the voicings that are three to a bar).

So, just to state the obvious ...
    Measure 1 is all Cm6.
    Measure 2 is all Fm7.
    Measure 3 is Cm7 for two beats and G7#9 for two beats.
    Measure 4 is Cm for two beats and C7#9 for two beats (changes the i into a V7 of iv).

If you have a question about a fingering, voicing choice or substitution choice do not hesitate to ask.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Nickadermis likes this.

5. ddewerd

Thanks Ken

Pretty clear to me, now just to play it!

Cheers,
    Doug

P.S. Another one I'm just starting on Fly Me to the Moon. I grabbed some charts a while back and I've got the chord basics down (fairly standard progression), but I need to work more on the chord melody part. I am trying to expand beyond the chord/lead dichotomy and move towards more of a chord melody style. Easier to say than it is to do!

Nickadermis likes this.

6. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

7. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca

This might help a bit ... http://tedgreene.com/teaching/chords.asp
    Scroll down about a 1/4 of the way until you see "Chords for Chord-Melody Playing - part 1 (1974)". There are 5 parts. They're pages of chords with almost every possible chord tone/melody choice as the highest note.

Nickadermis likes this.

8. ddewerd

Nice!

Now I just have to find the time to plow though all that. Some good stuff there

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Doug

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

10. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Straight up Bb blues coming up in a couple days.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.