Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Minimalist lightweight offset bolt-on with Formica!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mtorn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Aha... then your best bet is probably ebony. Or some other really hard poreless wood, dyed black.
    Or maybe a thick slathering of black-dyed epoxy!

2. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    mtorn,

Just fascinating!!!

mtorn likes this.
  3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    nice job!! I love your new guitar. If you really want to test it with a vox come on over I happen to have one sitting here!!

mtorn likes this.
  4. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you! I'll be there in a jiffy - it's just a quick hop from Portland to Omaha...

5. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I've thrown some together out of parts, but never actually fabricated my own body or neck. The neck would be the most anxiety inducing part for me. After I move in a few months and have a garage I'll start getting some tools together.

6. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    I agree, the neck is the hardest part, but it helps a lot to get a pre-slotted and pre-radiused board. But really, no single step is all that tricky if you start out with a simple hardtail bolt-on, and aren't too hard on yourself to do things perfectly.

7. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Just a quick update with some prettier pictures of the finished guitar!
    It's still going strong, no additional tinkering has been needed.

Green Formica Guitar 1.jpg Green Formica Guitar 2.jpg Green Formica Guitar 3.jpg Green Formica Guitar 4.jpg Green Formica Guitar 6.jpg

8. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Great pictures. I really like the look of the Richlite fingerboard... and the cutaway... and the pickguard... all of it really

mtorn likes this.
  9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    It is beautiful. I stopped breathing while looking at it. I wish I could have one, or maybe make my own guitar someday. Any sound samples?

10. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you so much!
    No, no sound samples... I guess I'd feel insecure about my playing, I wouldn't know what to play.
    Also, I'm not sure how I'd post it. YouTube? There are so many videos on there of headless torsos doing aimless noodling!

11. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Go ahead and send it to me, and I'll make a fool of myself on it. That keeps you free and clear. I "promise" to send it back... ;-)

crazydave911 and mtorn like this.
  12. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I really love that neck and headstock shape. Great job.

mtorn likes this.
  13. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    Cool build! At the beginning of the thread I was a bit unconvinced about formica, but your last pictures have proven me otherwise.

And great idea on the tapered neck. My guess is you don't necessarily need the bolt on the pickup cavity, and some light tapping with a rubber mallet when putting it into the cavity are more than enough to keep it firm, plus the bolts at the back.

Really nice work. I personally think that the lines on the neck and headstock from the joining give it a nicer look.

Cheers,

Albert

14. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks! I'm eager to try Formica again on a new project, but I still feel that I want to come up with a way to improve the edge treatment first. Maybe I'll try the black swirly pattern next time.

You might be right about the taper not needing the pickup cavity bolt, but I'm not sure where one would do the tapping. On the headstock? And the few times I've removed the neck after attaching it with the bolt it's been quite stuck, while any time I haven't used it, the neck comes off a little too easily. Other than the tedium of having to remove the pickup before removing the neck, it's not too much of a disadvantage to include that bolt. The biggest disadvantage of the tapered neck, by far, is no neck pickup!

On the neck, the alternating grain 3-piece glue up does bring up some nice varying sheen from different angles. And I do believe that it makes for a more stable neck. The biggest downside is that any planing or scraping is rough, because you get some tearout whichever direction you do it.

15. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you very much.
    I think I'll use that headstock shape from now on. Apart from my current build, which is, ironically, headless!

16. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    breathtaking. love it. reminds me of a table from my grandparents house - in a good way! very cool!

17. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    n__B likes this.
  18. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    took a look at that one - very cool indeed. I am a lil more partial to this one. something about that green just really does it for me. both are beauty tho.
    also, I have a desk that I build in 2000... I call it desk omega but that's a whole nuther story - it is all leather laminate. Just throwing that out there. It was very expensive lam... I think it was $250 per sheet if I recall. 3d feel to it. would make a killer guitar. wish I had some left after seeing this.

mtorn likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.