Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Minimalist lightweight offset bolt-on with Formica!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mtorn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you!

The only thing to watch out for with the fret leveling is to make sure that the beam doesn't deflect when sanding. I THINK mine didn't, but it's hard to say. I'm pondering if some kind of stiffening reinforcement would useful.

2. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks! If I were do do another one right away, I think I would try to wrap all the edges with 1/8" thick black Apoxie Sculpt, the epoxy/play-doh stuff that somebody suggested.

With the tapered neck pocket design as it is here, a neck pickup isn't possible - a major design compromise. But it could maybe be modified to work.

3. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    It's a Graph Tech Resomax Sonic 1. It's nice, but a Gotoh/Wilkinson wraparound would probably have worked as well, for a little less money.

4. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Alright, so it's a little heavier than I expected. But 6lb is still fairly lightweight!

I needn't have worried about the weight balance - I've now added strap buttons, and it sits nicely on a strap, without any neck dive. And you can really appreciate the low-ish weight when on a strap.

IMG_6568.JPG

5. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Wow. For a few months I've had this idea in my head about a guitar I've wanted to design and build once I got some woodworking tools and your guitar is probably 99% what I had in mind. I love that headstock design. It's got enough angle to eliminate string trees and get a straight string pull through the nut.

Everything really works together. Great work.

mtorn likes this.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I like it a LOT, with just the bridge PU and one knob!

But I wonder if you could get a surface-mount PU (like a dog-ear P-90, or a gold-foil) under the strings at the neck?

7. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    This is probably my favorite build I've seen here. 10/10 looks awesome.

mtorn likes this.

8. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    This is really quite something. I just tell you, I think you're on to something that other people would pay you to build for them. With all the varieties of Formica available, it would be east to offer customized bodies. I can't stop thinking about how cool your design with a P-90 would be.

9. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd just like to add that I really enjoyed this build. the formica looks awesome. your neck joint is exceptional and everything was done rather cleanly. well done sir.

10. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    Looks REALLY cool!!

mtorn likes this.

11. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

Good god man, I think that's one of the coolest builds I have ever seen! So much to love I don't even know where to start...

mtorn likes this.

12. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Somebody needs to tell me how you guys get them darn fretboards so smooth and shiny...

13. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    Exceedingly cool.

But now, of course, someone will have to come along and do a build with Fivemica.

Deeve and jvin248 like this.

14. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks!
    Maybe if the neck pickup is very shallow, one can route for a neck pickup without taking away a ton of the neck heel material. But it would weaken the mounting a bit, no doubt.

Instead, perhaps I could change the design to still use a tapered heel, but not inset it so far into the body. That would leave room for a neck pickup, but again the heel wouldn't sit quite as snugly.

15. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    I absolutely recommend trying out guitar building (I hesitate to call it luthierie). Ever since I decided to give it shot (maybe 3 years ago?), this has been a pretty engrossing hobby.

You're right that a straight string pull was a main goal for this headstock design - I initially made it for a guitar with a tremolo bridge. Feel free to steal it, there's no trademark on it! (unless somebody else trademarked one that looks much like it)
    For the next one I'll probably set the headstock a little less far back, I think I went a bit overboard with the break angle on this one. The Hipshot staggered tuners were a bit factor here, much better than the GFS variety, for about $20 more.

cdwillis likes this.

16. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you so much!
    I must admit that I'm tempted to try to sell a few, it would be fun to be able to offer all the varieties of patterns (and pickups, and bridges...). But I want to refine the process a little bit first, especially when it comes to the edges of the body.

17. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Well, in my case it's easy - Richlite, steel wool, some kind of butcher block oil/wax.

18. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Good point!
    But at least this we can agree that this is much superior to Threemica.

FerruleCat likes this.

19. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    This project, your approach, and creativity are really pleasing to read about . I am impressed so much so that will mention that I have a birthday in august and would be most appreciative to receive one of your creations as a surprise birthday gift.
    I would like it to be a reverse Fire Bird build that is well balanced and not head heavy . Bass wood seems a good choice, oh and a birds eye maple neck and finger board would seem fitting for a bolt on neck for this surprise birthday present. thanks, have fun.

20. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I like Richlite, can't find any here in Istanbul.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.