Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Minimalist finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by LunarSlingShot, Aug 9, 2018.

1. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello everyone,

I just ordered a maple with rosewood fretboard neck from Warmoth for my strat. I love the feel of Warmoth's standard neck profile and the compound radius fretboard. This combo is my favorite neck feel as I have had several warmoth necks in the past.

However, the first one I had was Roasted maple (didn't require a finish), and the 2nd one was bought from someone on StratTalk and it already had a finish on it.

Because I wanted a budget neck, I ordered this one without a finish. I know that I need to put a finish on it, but I really don't like the feel of sticky necks.

Any suggestions for the bare minimum I could do to it to make sure that the neck stays stable, but it will still feel like or close to bare wood?

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    A hand-rubbed finish like Tru Oil or a Danish Oil finish. Search old posts - there are hundreds of threads about the subject.

Whiskerz and eallen like this.

3. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Like Silverface said...

A couple coats of TO rubbed on & youll swear your still on raw wood. Great feeling fast neck. Non tacky.

tvvoodoo likes this.

4. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    I believe that Behlen makes a teak oil product that works very well for a thin finish on a maple neck. Tru-oil is also excellent.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I used Tru-Oil on my Warmoth mahogany neck, ......a WHOLE bunch of coats, lightly steel-wooled every three or four coats, and steel-wooled after final coat for a real slick finish. However, be advised Warmoth says an oil finish VOIDS your warranty. Mine is now well over a year old, with no issues, so it doesn't matter to me.....but just be aware.

6. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Oddly enough, Tru-Oil is not a true oil finish.

po-boy, PingGuo and nojazzhere like this.

7. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Idaho just the tip
    I’m all about the tru oil.

PingGuo likes this.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Tru-Oil is mostly polyurethane... so just 'hand-rub' satin polyurethane on it and it will feel great. Only do a few coats and you'll still feel the wood yet protect it.

I have been doing some furniture restoration with French Polish and it's fun (shellac is bug carcasses dissolved in alcohol) but I wouldn't recommend it for a neck. It might do ok for a body but would be fragile like nitro, like don't spill your whiskey on it.

jrblue, PingGuo and nojazzhere like this.

9. nojazzhere

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Interesting.....so are you thinking it DOESN'T void the warranty? Doesn't really affect me 'cause mine is beyond the one year warranty....but I AM curious.

10. nojazzhere

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I try diligently not to spill my whiskey on ANYTHING. (except my tongue :))

Wobbles likes this.

11. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Just like Danish oils contain either polyurethane or alkyd (oil-based) resins.

But Tru Oil contains very little polyurethane, which is a big reason it has such a high VOC (Volatile Organic Content) and is not available in some areas due to air quality regulations. It's primarily a penetrating/hardening material with a very low film build (i.e. film thickness).

To make a "normal" polyurethane penetrate and perform the same way would require quite a bit of thinning with a solvent appropriate for the ambient conditions and air regulations. Just "hand rubbing" a typical polyurethane unthinned will result in reduced penetration, possibly compromised adhesion and poor long term performance.

You can get lucky and have it work, but it will not provide the same finish or performance as rubbing on Tru Oil.

12. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Interesting to hear how these "oil" finishes are becoming synthetics instead. For my money, though I dislike both oil and poly finishes, at least the shift is in the right direction. Oil is not a musical finish, but a hybrid like TruOil is at least a step in the right direction. Personally, for non-lacquered necks, my vote goes the EB/MM for their neck treatments. IMO, there are finishes that work pretty well on necks that I woud never use on a guitar body. the EB/MM oil/wax combo is simply fantastic (on maple that is). Best production necks by a long shot.

13. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2012
    I wonder if Tru-Oil may have changed their formulation. Several people here say it’s high VOC but the bottle I recently bought doesn’t have much odor at all. I am doing a neck in the basement and my dog nose sensitive wifey doesn’t notice it. It really doesn’t smell any different than the artists oil paints I used to use. This is the first time I have used it and I love it. So easy to apply and feels and looks great.

14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I just watched a video where a guy put gun stock wax on after the tru oil, said that’s what Ernie Ball does on their American made music man guitars. Anyone have experience with that?

15. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Yes, I've used gunstock wax on oiled maple and to my surprise it works great. I really hate waxy buildup, but the stuff I used penetrates really well and there's no feel of a skin on the neck. Quite the reverse -- it feels dry, woody, and frictionless. I used Birchwood Casey gunstock wax. I love EB/MM necks, and this replicated that feel.

Danjabellza likes this.

16. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I caution against using that product. It has some wax, but also silicones. Silicones, once they penetrate, are a serious contaminant that's almost impossible to remove except by aggressive sanding and solvent washes. I don't recommend any silicone-containing products anywhere near a guitar - they contaminate adjacent surfaces as well and make usin g other finishes very, very difficult if not impossible.

It also must have a very high solvent content - it can't be shipped to California as it doesn't meet air regulations (FWIW that means it also doesn't meet regulations in several other parts of the US - CA is the only one with a state-wide restriction).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.