Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mini ME

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    There are two possible outcomes: 1) move the bridge really far back on the body, kind of like with bass guitars or 2) extend the neck out. 1 has the disadvantage of being able to rest the arm on the guitar while placing the palm on the bridge and 2 has the disadvantage of a very high likelihood of neck dive. Honestly, with these little things, it's like playing with a capo on the 2nd or 3rd fret. I think I might try heavier strings and try to "downtune" to standard pitch.

MoMo_the_Peach likes this.
  2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I actually lived in Santiago for 2 years when I was 19-21 years old. We could talk in modismos chilenos all day long. You just got to make it up here :)

3. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Great work. I'm loving it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Alright, there has been quite a saga of breaking tools related to inlay in my shop, and I have to have the fretboard inlaid before I can do too much more. But I was able to get a few things done, like this:

[​IMG]

And I also did this:

[​IMG]

Which on the side looks like this:

[​IMG]

Now, keep in mind that the neck and headstock will be finished in tiger eye, so hopefully the cream binding will match well with the maple tuner buttons and truss rod cover.

6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Should look great with the finish. Beautiful top too.

7. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks! The top is actually an offcut from a board I bought that is 14" wide by 8' long. So I have four 1 piece tops all with this kind of figuring, just waiting for me. And it was all $10/bd ft! I guess if you pick through the big curly maple pile long enough, you find something.

8. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2017
    The Dalles, Oregon
    Looking good, I can't wait to see more. :)

9. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Alright, so after way too long, I got my test fretboard inlays cut. However, in looking at it, I think the higher frets need wider inlays. This is simply due to how sharp the corners get and the fact that I have a finite sized end mill. I'm using .02", but it still leaves a little radius and can't get in super tight to the very small corners in my drawing. What do you guys think? Widen the upper inlays, or leave them? Keep in mind that this will still need binding. Once I have that question answered, I will then inlay the actual board.

[​IMG]

MM73 likes this.
  10. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Alright, I finally got the inlay pockets cut in my fretboard. I then cut a few test pieces for the two tone inlay and it simply isn't going to work. The combination is all wrong. No further work can happen until I have the inlay done. Since I can't do the two tone, I'm thinking I might just do the tinted epoxy type of thing. That or get some celluloid abalone and do it all a single color. I'm not sure. Part of me would really like to just get it done, but what color should I tint the epoxy? I'm thinking something silvery or creamy. Or I could do curly maple inlays, but the cocobolo dust could make that a nightmare...

[​IMG]

CraigB likes this.
  11. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Hey Ripthorn, Apoxie?

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Mete, I've never heard of apoxie. What is it?

13. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

14. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Interesting. I'll keep thinking on it...

15. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Well, I finally got some work done. I decided that I needed to actually cut inlay pieces, but I decided to go with just the abalone celluloid. I tried using a chisel at first since it's all straight lines and no inside corners, but the layer structure of celluloid didn't stand up to the chisel chopping that well. So I used a combo of the chisel with a Zone razor saw. I then sanded it down, slotted to depth, chamfered the fret slots, and bound and trimmed the board. The photo below is after installing side dots that are still a little proud. Flatten those down and I'm ready to glue this baby to the neck. It wasn't a perfect inlay job, but it's better than many commercial guitars. That 12th fret inlay was no simple task. A few very small pieces that were hard to fit together perfectly...

[​IMG]

16. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    Looks great Rip.
    Cheers,
    Woody

17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Well, you could say I made some progress. After getting the fretboard on the neck, that allowed me to get a ton of stuff done. I'll let the pictures speak for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/url

[​IMG]

brogh likes this.
  18. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    wow, this is really something different and very very cool, that fret board is really beautiful, i like the grain and color tones, great choice for the inlays both shape and color.

really can't wait to see it finished !

Great Work man !

19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Me and the new large, coarse dragon rasp from SM had a lovely time getting to know each other. It resulted in some nice bevels on the top. Still rough, but very promising:

[​IMG]

20. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
  21. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Very cool!!! What neck inserts are you using?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.