Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

MIM Telecasters,what is wrong with them

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telecatasin, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telecatasin

Telecatasin Tele-Meister

Why do alot of people put down MIM teles? I have one as well as a USA made and I cant tell the difference between them. They both sound good too. Is there a difference? If there is Iam missing it.

I have a couple of MIJ as well, these are also good guitars only a bit lighter in body weight.

2. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

Nothing wrong with them, I have 3 MIM teles hanging on my wall right now, Two FSRs and a classic 60s . The MIM standards are good as well. I have never played an American standard that I liked. Custom shops and AVRIs, yes, but American Standard, just never found one I liked.

3. BadgerDBad

BadgerDBad Tele-Meister

i love mine :twisted:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

6. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Nothing wrong with them. I own two and love em. The other two I have are not Tele's by Fender but a G&L ASAT Classic Rustic (Made in the USA and a Canadianbreed T-Class. It's actually quite surprising how a $500 MIM Tele compares to a guitars that cost 4x as much!

J5

7. rokett

rokett Tele-Meister

Had two MIM Teles, sold them after a few weeks. MIA, MIJ, Squier CVs are the better choice.

8. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

If Fender wasn't making a bunch of guitars in Asia...
    people would be all over MX teles and singing their praises..... yawn...

it would seem to me.. the US is on a race to the bottom for their guitar purchases... and defends that choice to the bitter end...

I've got no money.. so make guitars cheaper.... yawn...

9. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I don't have a problem with them.

I finally found a MIM Standard a 2009 with a slightly bigger neck profile and am very happy with it. The pickups are a bit more "modern" sounding on the Standard than other Teles, but they still sound nice. The Classic Teles are nice. And beside all that, the Baja Tele is a MIM.

10. Pentatomic

Pentatomic Tele-Meister

+1

I think it's just a status thing. I'd like to see some of the American elitists play both blind; sort of a "Pepsi challenge" and see the results.

11. janglist

janglist Tele-Meister

MIMs depreciate in value but still retain a decent resale. Buy 'em used and you don't get the depreciation. Perfect.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

MIM and MIA have the same sort of "feel" about them - you can tell they're from the same manufacturer, even when the features differ ( yeah, buy the features you want first, worry about MIM or MIA later ).

I would say the Japanese models are the weird ones out, now. I am influenced in part by the extreme limits on the "fun" models from Japan we can get here; it does seem sometimes like Fender Japan dumps their junk ( Jaguar HH, etc. ) on us but my opinion on MIJ Fenders is way, way down.

13. Bones

You make a statement but offer no specifics.

14. Bones

:rolleyes:

15. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I owned a MIM Std Tele back in the early 90's, nice guitar. MIM Fenders are great guitars and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if it had the features I wanted.

16. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity

To my own limited experience, this is spot on!

17. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I am thoroughly satisfied with my MIM Standard, however it has gone through a bit of modding. I put a GFS Powertron in the neck and a Duncan STL-1 in the bridge. I also swapped out the stock bridge for a Wilkerson 3 saddle ashtray. No matter where the guitar is made, I would probably swap out the pickups anyway so I don't consider that an added expense. I have pretty small hands so the neck profile is perfect for me. I would buy another MIM in a hot minute.

18. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

Nothing at all wrong with them. In fact, I just bought one yesterday. It's a 2011 copperburst standard. It sounds great, and took a set-up with ease. It's a killer guitar, and well worth the $450 (new, in a gigbag). I had looked at a Squier CVC, but for $50 more this was a no-brainer.

A couple of years ago I had an Am Standard from about 2006. It was heavy, and dead sounding. Kept it about 3 months, then dumped it. The MIM is a much more responsive guitar for about half the price.....

19. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

I like all Teles. There are gems and dogs in every price range no matter where the parts are put together.

20. william tele

william tele Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rokett
    Had two MIM Teles, sold them after a few weeks. MIA, MIJ, Squier CVs are the better choice.

You make a statement but offer no specifics.

He just forgot to finish his sentence with "for me".

21. Bones

If you check out the clips of Redd playing the prize guitars for the raffle, you can see then run the spectrum of prices. Well actually they are either very expensive or very inexpensive, nothing in the middle really, but they all sound good because they are being played through a good amp and by a guy that can actually play guitar. As far as I'm concerned, if the neck feels good and the damn thing can be set up and stays in tune, it's a good guitar regardless of price or country or origin.

As far as pups and stuff goes, that's a matter of taste and the number of people changing pups on high end Fenders and Gibsons seems to rival those that are modding much less expensive guitars,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.