Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mim Tele std vs Classic 50s

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by goddardo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. goddardo

goddardo TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2010
    UK
    Really helpful info. Thanks guys. I'm going over to check it out on Saturday and if I like it I will be buying it. Would like to be able to stretch to a lacquer version but that'll happen later on down the line

2. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2011
    London, England
    I'd go with your heart and the classic 50s. Just a better guitar all round in my opinion. Let us know how you get on.

3. goddardo

goddardo TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2010
    UK
    Serial number is MZ2190987 which, from what I can tell is 2002-2003. Looks in great condition for that year

boris bubbanov likes this.

4. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2011
    Genoa, Italy
    I'do go to the 50's Classic. Love that colour!

5. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    don't obsess too much over the "lacquer" finish. fender lacquer finishes are just a flash coat over poly.

for me this would be a no-brainer. i'd get the classic series '50 in a heartbeat, especially at that price. the stock pickups are interesting. i swear the bridge pickup (non metal based) sounds just like steve howe's tele, especially on the relayer record.

and you could swap the neck with someone for a baja '50s neck. it's beefier and has the 9.5" radius.

if you decide to pass on the cs50, pm the seller's info to me. i'll take it. :)

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    .UK
    Classic 50s here. I have a classic 60s and it's the best Tele I've ever owned. I like the 50s and have played them a few times in stores. I really rate it highly over the MIM standard.

7. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Had a Classic 50 Esquire, the neck was really nice. Selling it is my only real gear regret. Much prefer the Classic range over the Standards.

8. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Well since I feel the Classic 50's is in so many ways the affordable ground zero starting point for all that a Tele is I say that is the choice. It is, however, more expensive but then again you get what you pay for...........

Gary

Fendereedo likes this.

9. goddardo

goddardo TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2010
    UK
    Cheers guys. Going for it soon. Will update when I get it back here.

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    As LKB3rd said it looks like your one is a poly with the silver logo.

However, as someone else said don't sweat it: My white blonde is lacquer (bought used for less than a new poly was at the time) and my sunburst is poly. I've dulled the back of the necks on them both with fine 3M pads as they felt a bit sticky and they both now feel great. I got a nice tweed case with the lacquer one (and no case at all with the poly one), but they both fit this case of course and I usually only take one out at a time anyway.

Good luck whatever you decide. :)

11. goddardo

goddardo TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2010
    UK
    Got her home. Very happy

Attached Files:

12. goddardo

goddardo TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2010
    UK
    Just to add, been playing this a lot today and the tone is superb. The vol and tone swells work great. Really responsive through my Sewell amp. I think before too long, I'll be chasing a higher end 50's Tele, so any suggestions will be appreciated on that subject. Thanks again for pointing me to this guitar guys

KelvinS1965 and Bruxist like this.

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Good choice!!! I’d have had no hesitation :)
    Happy NGD!

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    My #1 was a MIM 50's Strat for a number of years. The neck didn't bother me at all. I got in a pinch had to let her go. Am digging a modern neck these days but would gladly go back if I found the right axe. Sweet Tele you have there...play it like you stole it! Congrats!

15. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Good choice there, I'd have done the same.

I used to have a 50s Classic, the only reason I don't is because I ended up with one of the heavy ones.

It was really heavy, like "to much weight to do a 2 and half hour gig with"

Loved the neck on it though.

Enjoy it!

16. goddardo

goddardo TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2010
    UK
    Mine is 8ib. Feels fine but wouldn't like it to be much heavier

17. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    I was looking into an AV'58, but never got round to trying one as no shops near me had them in stock to try. It looks at first glance almost identical to the Classic 50s (so m OH wouldn't have noticed ;) ), though there are detail differences that posters on here would spot.

In the meantime, just enjoy the one you have: I did have a play on a lovely White blonde Custom Shop Esquire that belongs to my cousin's son. It was very nice to play, but many times the cost if bought new. It inspired me to change to 9.5 gauge strings as his had on and I spent more time trying to set up mine as well as his and got pretty close. If I had the money I'd get one, but I don't feel too short changed.

18. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    Ok , I’ll throw the wrench in here, between the 7-1/4 and 9-1/2 is not a huge difference. Going to a Gibson twelve is a much bigger deal. I have both, all my teles are 9-1/2 and my classic fifties strat is 7-1/4 and I can hardly tell a difference. Neck size would be a bigger problem I believe. Thin, thick, “v” or modern c , d or baseball bat they can be a problem.
    I think if people didn’t know about all these options they would be happier with their guitars. The same with pickup swaps, if you have a real good tube amp, you can dial in most sounds you want and if you add a MXR ten band graphic eq you can eliminate just about any other tonal problems without swapping pickups"
    This of course is just my honest opinion, everybody is also entitled to their own. This works for me !

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Mine was 9 lbs and after two weeks I said - nope.

Kind of a light one from the ones I've played. You did good.Congrats !

No - the bigger problem for some folks (myself included) are the tiny frets.

A buddy of mine has a vintage RI 52 Tele that he had refretted w/ med jumbo's and it's great now.

Before that it was finger drag city.

As long as everybody has something they like to play - we're all set !

20. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I probably agree with you on the neck radius. I am assuming my Taylor acoustic is a 15" radius based on what I can tell, no problem going back and forth between that and the 9.5" tele neck. Bending is harder on the Acoustic but the strings are a lot bigger so it might not have anything to do with the radius. I have very little trouble with the change in scale length either.

I definitely don't like tiny vintage frets though, and I'm not crazy about big V-neck shapes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.