Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIM Tele Custom'72 (2006) Vs. Classic Series Tele Custom '72 ('11)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Wally_Pete, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Wally_Pete

Wally_Pete NEW MEMBER!

Jul 13, 2018
    Italy
    I'm looking for a MIM Cusrtom '72 tele and from the offers that I found online i have to choose between:

- a 2006/07 MIM Custom '72 Reissue Telecaster ;

- a 2011/12 MIM Classic Series Custom '72 Telecaster.

The 2006 one has some little marks on the frets, the 2011 looks like brand new, but the cheaper price of the 2006 one just covers the cost of the luthier's fret work.

Does anybody know if there is any significant difference in the quality of the MIM production between those years or in the construction of this models (i..e. neck shape, pickups, pots, etc...)?

I'm planning to have (in both cases) the WRHB rewired, to change the stock bridge, and maybe change the bridge pickup.

Then if those guitars were both N.O.S. new, what would you choose?

Many thanks

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018

2. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Someone else may come along and clarify but make sure one doesn't have Alnico pickups and the other ceramic.

Because these are "special" MIM versions I have no idea what pickups they'd have, but the "standard" MIM ones did change pickup types in that time period I think.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, Pete!

My recollection is, FMIC did do some revisions to the WRHB pickups and so a 2011/12 might have a more favorably voiced pickup than does the 2006/7. I don't remember any radical changes in neck carve during this era. But, here's the thing to watch out for:

Some of these MIM '72s, from time to time, have significant misalignment issues as regards the placement of the bridge and the alignment of the large pickguard to work around the placement of the bridge. Some of these, of this era, are just way off. So, look for that issue first.

Btw, the improvement from the crudish, overseas stock bridge, to the Callaham replacement (the best) is evident but not normally huge. Frankly, I would be more concerned with replacing the crummy parallelogram shaped stock tuning machines with some AV52 style Gotoh rectangular splits (Allparts # TK 0880). You need 10.0 mm conversion bushes.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018

4. Wally_Pete

Wally_Pete NEW MEMBER!

Jul 13, 2018
    Italy
    Many Thanks for your help, Ben and Boris.
    I'll check carefully the newer one and i'll see.
    I found out Allparts #TK 880 tuners are my favorite Gotoh SD91. I 'll put them on for sure. I'm also planning to replace the stock bridge with a brass Gotoh GTC 201, sinceI'm looking looking for a Keef tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.