Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIM Standard Strat Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by colchar, Mar 18, 2012.

1. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2012
    Tucson
    Nice looking MIMs, fellas.
    I ran the racks back in 2010 found this player. I was starting over and didn't have an electric guitar at that moment. It's been a treasure and I'm grateful for it. Dropped in a prewired pick guard with some CS pickups; this guitar rules.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1448938010.172398.jpg

2. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

In 2002 I bought one, not because that is what I wanted but because I needed something lighter than a Les Paul and it was about all I could afford. 13 years later is is one of the best and most enduring guitars I have ever owned. I would not trade it for a American Strat of the same year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Well I don't have an MIM Strat but I have a partscaster that I put MIM pickups in. I literally got the partscaster as a $35 bag of parts in a garage sale, a project that the guy started and never finished. It's either a Squier or some kind of import Strat, made in 1996, can't tell for sure because the guy spray painted the headstock. The pickups were terrible so I put in MIM pickups I got on eBay for almost nothing (I did not want to spend a lot of money on a cheap guitar), and now the guitar sounds great.

4. fjtesta

fjtesta TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2016
    US
    Just picked up this 2002 agave blue MIM Strat. My favorite one is still a 91 MIM black strat that was my first electric I purchased new. uploadfromtaptalk1470278464252.jpg

5. MatthewJ

MatthewJ NEW MEMBER!

Aug 8, 2016
    Cincinnati
    This is my 04 with Dimarzios. These pickups are amazing. It has Dimarzio Cruzers in the neck and middle position and a Dimarzio fast track in the bridge. You can get about any sound you want out of this beast. [​IMG][​IMG]

Nubs likes this.
  6. mhainz

mhainz Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2009
    australia
    Might as well sign up.

'09 midnight wine hss.

[​IMG]

7. mattyboy

mattyboy Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2009
    ohio
    IMG_0265.JPG

‘16 MIM candy apple red.

Nubs likes this.
  8. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    MIM Strat:

[​IMG]

MIM Tele:

[​IMG]

mattyboy likes this.
  9. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2011
    Eastern PA
    Here is my 1998 MIM I recently picked up DSCF0150.JPG DSCF0154.JPG

10. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    My wife bought me this MIM Strat for Christmas back in '11. I'd had a couple Strats over the years including a '73 and an AmStd '96. The MIM played second fiddle to my Tele and has stayed all stock. But playing in a '60's band, the Strat got alot of stage time. Plugged into my 70 Twin, it's pure sparkle! FB_IMG_1539031165879.jpeg

11. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I've got a lefty MIM strat coming that I am going to customize for a friend who did a bunch of artwork for me.

I see a lot of folks change pickups, is that about all that needs fixin? I'll do all the switches and pots while I'm in there.

Nubs likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    my 98/99 in it's various configurations over the years:
    [​IMG]
    Gibson p90's:
    [​IMG]

and another I had for a while: (Gibson mini's)
    [​IMG]

13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I picked up one of the GC FSR Standards, in Seafoam Green. At first, I thought that I would replace pickups, with alnico V's, but I actually find the ceramics easier to dial-in, in a band setting.

[​IMG]

14. swampyankee

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I used to play a '96 Am Std Strat in a band and always felt the stock pickups were a bit weak. Especially compared to a MIM Strat that was used as a communal backup guitar. The MIM pickups had an edge that my AmStd lacked.
    Occasionally I find that the stock pickups on my MIM Strat are a bit thin in the bridge position, especially when I play thru my blackface and silverface Fender amps, but for the most part they do the job. If anything, I probably just haven't learned how to dial them in on my amps.

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    Most of my Strat's have lower output, vintage alnico pickups. Playing in a quiet room, I like the vintage pickups better. But, they are really hard to dial-in with a Fender amp, without a Mid and Gain control, on the clean channel. I'm now using my Vox TB18C1 or Boss Katana, with my vintage sounding Strat's. I use my Fender amps with guitars using humbuckers.

16. swampyankee

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I use all Fenders with my MIM Strat, but the Fender Pro Tube Concert Amp I use for gigs is uncharacteristically punchy and seems to play well with my MIM Strat. The Vibroverb RI has enough "brown" to counter the thin-ness, but I have to dial the mids to 10 on my '70 Twin.

17. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Pots are usually the thing on lefties which need replacing all the time. Usually the volume dial(s) work fine but the tone knobs operate more like switches as the tone is either on or it isn't. Most of the time there is no variance in tone when you twist the knob, so they gotta go.

18. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    [​IMG]

2014 MIM Standard strat, customized with Gold anodized pickguard, Seymour Duncan SSL1's. The color is a nice dark Candy Red, probably what you can call Cherry Coke Red. I call it Iron Man.

The original MIM pickups are not bad. They are louder (higher output) than "vintage" single coils like the SSL1, and that's a good thing when you want to get some distortion. But the drawback is that they are a bit muddy and/or fizzy... Well, not clear sounding as vintage pups are. And the bridge is particularily painfull to hear... I think that's the whole ceramic VS alnico thing.

On the other hand if you replace only the bridge pickup with some single coil sized humbucker, for example a Duncan Lill'59 or JB Jr , then you get a well balanced and very versatile set of pickups. I've done that for a young friend and he is very happy with it.

Mincer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.