Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIM Standard Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by mudbean, Jan 8, 2009.

1. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    copper burst 60th anniversary MIM wiht BWG Claymore pickups.
    Love it! Satin neck is awesome!

copper_back.JPG copper_burst.JPG copper_front.JPG

2. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY

3. timmyc

timmyc Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2011
    saint john canada
    Here is my 2011 Mim standard. With cream streamline pickguard from decoboom. Check them out.

1491757113803.jpg

soulman969 likes this.

4. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    Almost six years after I got it, my LPB '09 Tele is still the best-playing guitar I have (out of about seven or eight electrics.) I've never had to mess with the neck or bridge at all (after initially setting it up) and it has proven to be rock-steady. I replaced the pickups and bought one of those electro socket jacks and cup, but I haven't bothered replacing the jack yet, because after a bit of blue loc-tite, the jack is still solid.

I think it's the cheapest electric I have, but it sure doesn't play like it!

5. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Van Nuys CA
    Congrats there. That looks great, but I'm biased... that's mine in the avatar :)

6. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    ...getting ready to join the club. Best bang for the buck IMO.

7. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2011
    Slovenia
    I'm BACK in the Tele world. Throughout my guitar ownership career, I've 5 teles. I traded or sold them because something at the time didn't work for me. I had a 1999 American Standard that I sold cause I already had a 1998 American Standard B Bender that I sold for a Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci (dumb move). I had a 2000 Fat Tele that I didn't like the balance of and I had a Squire CVC that I traded because I just didn't like it. Oh, and I had a parts tele (62 RI body and MIM neck) that I sold because ... well, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I have always loved Teles and now that have found my perfect amp, a Bassbreaker 15, I am fine tuning my guitars. I had my eyes on a Squier, but I don't like there necks. As I was searching our "craigslist" here in Slovenia, I saw an almost new Fender Standard for a great price, so I jumped on it. I Love Love Love the neck and it feels great. I am not sure about the pickups yet and I may change the bridge saddles and tuners (just for looks). I will change the switch knob as I've done on all the teles I've owned to the top hat style. I'm really geeked up to have another Tele and I hope this one sticks around for a while.

20171030_164430.jpg

8. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    2017 Lake Placid Blue MIM Standard, ex-demo, slight damage to paintwork and apparently a blow that's actually bent the control plate and crushed the edges of the control cavity under it, but nothing structural and electrics all work, the price reflected the condition, and I'm replacing all the electrics anyway. I'm using McNelly A2 pickups and other electrics from James' Home of Tone. It's going to have a vintage 3 saddle ashtray bridge and Gotoh "Kluson" tuners and be set up with 15 - 56 strings for slide playing mainly in open D.

Though I'm very impressed with the guitar as it is. The neck feels great and even has a trace of flame. But I bought this one specifically to gut and mod it. A picture straight from the shop below and maybe you can make out the wood figure in the second picture. It joins the MIJ 62 in my avatar and a still not finished partscaster with Bare Knuckle pickups. I'll post again when the modifications are done.

20171127_141110.jpg 20171127_152523.jpg

This is the control plate damage. It took quite a clout. I've knocked it flattish now. 20171128_102411.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I never put a picture here but I'm part of the club ever since I joined. 2016 Serial #, Bought it used back in February 2017. I got a Telecaster primarily because my teacher is really into them.. I was mostly looking for simplicity/reliability/good instrument for the price and I knew he knew all the tricks for them. It's been a process but I love this thing now. I only started lessons this year, this guitar has been very very very good for me as a learning tool. I've made a ton of progress this year and getting an electric guitar definitely helped.

We have some weird collector dudes around the Boston area who seem to buy hundreds of guitars and immediately try to resell them, I think my guitar went through one of them, it was basically brand new when I bought it. There is a guy I play with in some group lessons who thinks he might know who the original owner of my guitar was.

In early July I changed the pickguard. Not something I was 100% on but I got a new pickguard for my birthday, pretty much a suprise, now that I've changed it I'm glad I did.

In September I rewired it with the Stewmac kit and I put a Lollar Special T pickup in for the bridge and a Lollar Vintage T in the neck. Milder pickups, much less noise in the wiring. Switchcraft jack socket + a new CRL switch, and it's got an orange drop treble bleed. Huge difference!

Most recent pictures, although these still have the plastic material on the pickguard.

What it originally looked like:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017

10. Sillyak

Sillyak TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Alberta
    Bought this one new last year. Awesome guitar!!

[​IMG]

11. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    I put this MIM Std all back together this morning. The tuners are Gotoh (split shaft), the bridge is Fender base plate with 3 Gotoh compensated saddles (I'd never used them before and I was pleased how easy it was to get the intonation right.) I tried a black scratchplate, which was fine, but found a blue/tortie picture on here somewhere and went with that.

I haven't changed the pickups yet and I've left the setup as standard on my preferred 11-49s. Phase 2 with McNelly pickups and a set up for slide will have to wait until the new year.

20171203_133304.jpg

12. MadRocker

MadRocker Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2017
    Finland
    Here's my MX STD 2014

Started her life as black/white PG, then the previous owner had sanded the black and found sunburst underneath. :eek:

Then I wanted me a gold'ish Tele with the black PG. So I started painting... Then I noticed that the paint was from 1992. It wasn't acting very well and it was dripping all over the place! So I was kinda "forced" to do this kind of relicing on this one.

After all I'm pretty happy with the result. Actually I'm so happy with this Mexican, that I sold even my AM STD 2005, because I liked this one better. (I think it's the nut width.)

1518262718528.jpg

ratedepth, PixMix and horax like this.

13. ratedepth

ratedepth TDPRI Member

May 28, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Looks great! Nice job for a “mistake”!

14. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    OK... here's mine.

I prefer to buy my Fender bodies and necks separately, so I can marry the two that I prefer. So, I bought this new Arctic White Standard body from Stratosphere (I've really helped keep them in business). I've expected that I would replace the pick ups, which I'm working on at present.

Anyway, at present my Tele Standard is fitted with a Nashville Deluxe Rosewood neck. The stock pickups have not yet been replaced, but I did change out the control panel to 500k vol and tone pots (which brightened up the MIM pickups slightly), and a Les Paul-Style toggle switch.

[​IMG]

Here it is with a Baja '60s Rosewood neck and stock control panel:
    [​IMG]

I think the Tele Standard is a great guitar - I'm just not keen on the ceramic magnet MIM pickups. They are certainly "ok", but they lack the articulate clarity that I have come to appreciate with some of my other Fender guitars. Soon, I'll update with new pickups.

I really love Fender's MIM instruments; I think they're awesome guitars. And, I do have another MIM Tele, which is a Blacktop HH. Possibly my favorite Tele (of six!), now that I've installed Gibson Classic '57 humbuckers and premium electronics. What an outstanding guitar with superb tonal quality. Here it is, with rib cut on the back too! I'm not at all wedded to a "traditional" Tele sound, so I'm quite happy with these rich and sparkly bright (AlNiCo 5 magnets mod installed) Gibson Classic '57 pickups.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    MadRocker likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.