Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIM Standard Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by mudbean, Jan 8, 2009.

1. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany
    Just swap 'em for Keystones anyway.. Problem solved :p

2. jersgsxr750

jersgsxr750 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's my 2005 MIM Std Tele... IMG_0444.JPG

3. RocknSoul

RocknSoul TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Sweden
    [​IMG]
    Just got this '13 standard, switch to a white single ply, the finish has yellowed quite a bit. Very comfy neck!

hellopike likes this.

4. Tsmith88

Tsmith88 NEW MEMBER!

Nov 28, 2016
    England
    I have just bought a 2016 mim tele standard. Why is the bridge pickup realy rubbish and dark.. it sounds ok but it just wasnt i expected considering i read that it was meant to bright and twangy like a banjo on steroids. I changed the height of the bridge (up and down) and changed the to d'addario 10s (the best strings known to the human race) So i just ordered some kinman noiseless 60s, 2x cts 300k pots, waxed cloth hookup wire and a orange drop cap. Heres hoping it improves the brightness of it

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Three years ago in December of 2013 I posted about the conversion of my '95 top loader to a Nashville type. The last modification I planned to make was to install a Babicz FCH Bridge whenever I could find a deal on one because the retail cost (now $139) was a bit steep considering I bought the guitar for $250 before all the modifications were made.

Three years hence it finally happened and last weekend the Babicz Bridge got installed and at long last this one is done. The pickups are a set of custom wound Onamacs with a beautifully clear and Strat-like neck pickup and a slightly overwound middle to better match the output of the bridge pickup and it's stronger mids.

This is a sweet playing and sounding guitar from the mid '90s and one of my favorite players and if anyone tells you a Nashville Tele won't "quack" they need to play this one. I actually play it with the middle pickup engaged about 90% of the time. It's wired to a p/p tone pot so it can be added to any of the other four positions so there's eight settings in all.

2016-11-28 14.16.37.jpg

Believer7713, hellopike and Bruxist like this.

6. iancain123

iancain123 Tele-Meister

Sep 13, 2016
    US
    This was my very first guitar. It's a 92 top loader It was stolen along with a small Marshall amp, the guitar was recovered. I added the bigsby several years later. It will never leave my collection again. I've owned it since I was 9. 1480913115121.jpg

7. Mxrk

Mxrk TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Tampa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was my first electric, a mid-90s MIM standard. Over the years I converted it from top-load to string-through, put a JB in the bridge position with a coil split. Still love it.

Zaxxon likes this.

8. Believer7713

Believer7713 TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kansas City Mo.
    This is my mim tele. It is an 01 with a Hantug solid brass milled bridge plate. I too the brass saddles of four the Babicz FCH saddles that ate on it now. The p'ups are Seymour Duncan. The bridge is a L'il 59 with coil splitting and the neck is a "hot for tele". The control plate is made of aluminum by Rockrabbit and it moves the volume knob, which is a Bourns[​IMG] B300K, back about an inch while also angling the switch to make it a little more ergonomic. It also has fender locking tuners and a TUSQ xl nut. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    It's funny -- once I got my Kirn Barnbuster, I figured my MIM standard would be surplus, but I still pull it out quite a bit. Those few times I gig I usually go for,it along with my LP Special -- they're a really versatile pair, and not so pricy that I need to be afraid.

10. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Very cool and an interesting combo of mods there- way to make it your own!

11. Believer7713

Mar 21, 2016
    Kansas City Mo.
    Thanks,
    I just couldn't get used to the straight switch or switch out of #1 on the fly so when I saw that plate I had to try it. As far as that guitar goes it's one of the best investments anyone can make IMHO. The brass bridge plate really warmed it up and the Babicz saddles give it sustain for days. When I got it, every guitar I had was an HH setup so I was used to the humbucker sound and had to ween myself of of it. With the coil split I could do that plus get both the Tele spank with the coil split or pinch you in the face when I push that knob down.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

12. Believer7713

Mar 21, 2016
    Kansas City Mo.
    How do you like the Babicz bridge? I have used his saddles on a few guitars and one full T-O-M bridge on my Charvel Desolation. I haven't tried a full bridge on a tele yet because they are pricey.
    I have found them easier to play than conventional bridges with palm muting and not having to make adjustments to the height and so on.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    soulman969 likes this.

13. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    @Believer7713 I had been looking at those angled switch plates for one of my teles, how does the aluminum finish match with the rest of the chrome hardware. That would be my sticking point.

14. Believer7713

Mar 21, 2016
    Kansas City Mo.
    There is a difference up close. The aluminum is polished but the metal is a little cloudier than the chrome. If you ate on stage no one would notice though. With a little elbow grease and some pollock you could probably make it look clearer. I just want in the mod to do that at the time.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I bought mine from rockrabbit on ebay for $25. They also sell one made of titanium for about $45 that might polish out nicer but I am not for sure about that. Haven't worked wroth titanium enough to know all of its qualities.

15. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    @Believer7713
    Well, seeing yours got me thinking about it again, and I saw that rockrabbit had them in their shop for $23+ shipping and I talked myself into it- but before I pulled the trigger I read your post about it not matching 100% so I googled angled telecaster control plate and saw that Rutters has an angled plate that is chromed for $30 shipped. I just purchased it a minute ago. For some reason I thought the Rutters would be more expensive.

Once it's installed I'll make a post here since it's going on a mim standard. Thanks for talking me into it.

16. Believer7713

Mar 21, 2016
    Kansas City Mo.
    Cool, Let me know how it works out. I may try to polish mine once I get my strat project together. That one has turned into a really big job.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Much the same in that regard and tonally the guitar is a little more "lively" and clearer but we're talking more minor stuff there. Enough to know it's changed but it's not a WOW factor in my opinion. The biggest selling point to me is what I highlighted in your post.

The tonal improvement and lowered action on my two basses was far greater and there it was a WOW factor to me. They are pricey and it took me a few years to actually find mine on auctions for far less than retail price but I'm quite happy with them overall.

18. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    New York

19. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    My '13 MIM Standard

[​IMG]

20. Believer7713

Mar 21, 2016
    Kansas City Mo.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I have found on mine I can get amazingly low action but the neck had to be spot on. Also if I play through my pedal board with the noise clamp turned on I can get about twice as much sustain with it before the NC squashes everything. My Charvel did become quite the tone monster after the swap though.
    Greg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.