Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mim standard, mim Road worn 50's vs american special

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RottyDog, Sep 12, 2017.

1. RottyDog

RottyDog TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Sg
    Hi all, wondering any owner or person played all these and opinion?

As can have good deal currently so considering within these budget model.

Also is it that ash body tele better or premium higher grade than typical alder?

My main concern is about neck profile/size as well as fret size. As not able to try out all at once, hope can get opinion on these model playability.

Cheers!

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Make your decision based upon the FEATURES that work best for you.

Which one has a neck shape you like? Which one uses the fretwire size you can play best? You can change the bridge, change pickups but if you can find the model with stock pickups and a bridge you like, that saves a decent amount of money AND you can tell just by playing it as it is now, how much you'll like it.

Ash is weird. Ash can be very beautiful or can be ugly - alder has a mild, safe appearance to it (or it is painted solid). Ash can be either very light or very heavy or CRAZY heavy - alder in comparison is usually medium to medium heavy. Otherwise, both do the job extremely well.

Chicago Matt likes this.

3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    I own the roadworn 50s and love it...it is one of the newer versions with the barely noticeable relic job.It is a great Tele that really holds up nicely to my more expensive USA reissues.Mine has no playability issues across the neck and the action is very slinky even with 11-49 guage strings.The stock Tex Mex pickups sound really nice and so far I have no desire to 'upgrade' them.Mine is a nice light one too.

As for the other choices,both are fine guitars as Fender is making excellent stuff these days.It is really a matter of trying out as many as you can and finding the one that you find most inspiring.

Chicago Matt likes this.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    In that same theme and price range is the 50's Baja - my personal favorite.

That Road Worn 50's has the 7.25 radius fretboard - it is also well received in these parts - as is the Baja. @boris bubbanov had a good point though - features within a price point is a great way to look for a Tele.

5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Me.... I would get the American Special. I like the neck better than either the MIM Standard and
    The Roadworn and I also like the pickups better than either of the others.

If you are buying used the MIM Standard might deserve a bit more consideration.
    It will be easy to find a MIM Standard for half or less than you can probably find the others.

And the Roadworn, if you really like the pre worn look it is the only reasonably priced option.

6. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Even if you can't play them all at once, you really need to get out and play them. Reading opinions on neck profile and fret sizes and "playability" is all well and good, but you won't know for sure what works best for you until you have it in your hands.

On the plus side - shopping is fun!!

boris bubbanov and Ash like this.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    For me, the MIM Standard has the perfect neck shape - the Modern C. It's also cheaper (especially if you go used) and you can take the money you saved and pop in a set of great pickups.

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    ^^^^^ THIS! ^^^^^

...and other considerations, like vintage vs. modern tuners, neck vs. heel truss rod adjustment, 'guard-mounted vs. body-mounted neck p'up...

Seeing is one thing, but feeling, holding and playing tells the story!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.