Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIM James Burton Standard Review

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FredDairy, Mar 10, 2013.

1. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I got a MIM James Burton Standard last Weds and finally got to play it a bit.
    Out of the box I noticed something weird. Both pickups are microphonic. Not squealing at loud volumes but through the amp you can hear the pickup selector click, volume and tone knobs turning, even my fingers when I pop them against the ashtray bridge.

So I spent all Saturday going over the wiring and rewiring the solder joints(probably making them sloppier than before). Still microphonic. Are the Texas Specials just that way?

While I'm on the subject the tone of this thing is pretty much unlike any Tele I've owned. I don't know if its the Texas Specials or the microphonic issues but the Tele is louder and more sensitive to my fingers and pickups up a lot of harmonic overtones. I'd say it sounds more like Roy Buchanan than James Burton. I use the super super-light James Burton string gauge and I have to say these pickups fatten that up a bit.

The neck shape is fantastic.

Nut depth is .950. My 52 Pure Vintage is .935. But at the 1st fret it goes down to .875. At the 12th fret we have a depth of about .950.

The neck is what I'd describe as a full U with plenty of shoulders. More shoulders than the 1998-2012 AV'52RI. The 9.5 radius and vintage frets pair perfectly with the super light Burton strings.

It's a very nice guitar. I'm kind of put off that it's just a MIM Standard body. Multiple pieces of wood. Atleast 4 on mine w/ a humbucker route and all the other non-traditional things that go with the MIM Standard body. I wish they'd put a MIM Classic series body on this.

It's a boat anchor compared to my Pure Vintage models and comes in around 7.6lbs.

[​IMG]

2. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    One other thing the neck doesn't have those dreadful rolled edges that Fender USA feels the need to put on every neck.

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    In other words: Light weight compared to my Teles!:D

4. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Never played one but that neck sounds interesting.. Gonna keep this one around?

5. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Well my 3 keeper Teles are the '52 PV, '64 PV and '72 AV. The Burton certainly has a place in there and offers something those don't.

I'm sending back a MIM 60s Classic Monday and the thought has entered my mind that if I unload the Burton too I'll be able to snag one of those Lake Placid Blue '64s on eBay with those funds. I've got the Burton gauge on my PV '64 and it did sound good with 10s for the Cropperish stuff so there is a need right?

I don't know... I got a call to do two studio sessions next month and the '52 and '64 are going. Both have Burton strings on them and it would be nice to have something with heavier strings if a song called for it.

6. atomicdog

atomicdog TDPRI Member

Feb 9, 2013
    California
    OK, stupid question (and I'm dumb enough to ask it) but aren't pickups microphonic by nature? I mean, that's the point, right? That said, is the control cavity shielded?

7. dan79

dan79 Tele-Holic

Aug 7, 2004
    Cumbria, England
    Looks real nice, Fred - but yeah those LPB '64's look great too - would be great to have 2 of them in different colours and maybe set one up differently! Good luck with what you decide to do!:cool:

8. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    there is absolutely nothing James Burton about those guitars...but Im sure you know this :eek::lol:

I have a 92 Tele that is microphonic no matter what I put for pickups in it..sounds cool though.

James Burton doesn't play with 6 hammer style saddles..hell..he has never been seen with this Telecaster ever :cool: Fender has a way of just sticking a name on it and pushing it out the door.

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Imho that guitar looks really sweet especially if you think the neck feels good. As I said before Maybe a 3 saddle bridge (and 5 hole pickguard?) Would be all it needed.. and i wouldn't worry about the number of pieces in the body especially as 7.6 is not a heavy weight imo.

Depending on how your other guitars are, microphonic pickups might be a plus.

10. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    I never thought the Texas Specials in my Burton Standard were all that microphonic. I like them a lot; the neck pickup is among my favorite Tele necks pickups.
    And the weight has me puzzled. I've never weighed mine, but it seems pretty light and resonant.
    Only thing I did to mine was replace the bridge with a three-barrel number. Had some rattle issues with the six-saddle job.

11. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Hey FredDairy........

What are the super light James Burtons strings. Is it a set made by someone and if so what brand are they or what gauges are they? .....JH in Va.

12. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    "When James started out, he replaced his strings with banjo strings because they didn’t make the strings he wanted for guitar players. He was the first to do so. Until this day, James uses these unusual gauges: .009, .010, .012, .024, .032 and .038." - james-burton.net

13. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Well it's got the "Burton" neck that only this model and his signature model share. It's red like his "Corn Pickin' and Slick Sliding" guitar.

It doesn't anymore but I have seen pictures of his Paisley with the 6 hammer style saddles.

14. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Trenton, OH
    He plays it on his Hot Licks video and I think he played it with Ricky Nelson.

Start the vid at 10:09.

15. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    No he doesn't play a MIM Standard in the Hotlicks video.

16. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Trenton, OH
    Well, if you want to get "technical"....

You're right.....:D

BTW, I wish Fender still made that model in Vintage White.:(

17. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2005
    North West England
    I wish they still made the Black and Gold Paisley finish. I wonder what the next J B Signature model will look like. :rolleyes:

18. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    As far as microphonics go, remember you're talking about Telecasters. Try some foam rubber under the bridge for a little support along with replacing the height adjustment springs with surgical tubing. If it's still noisy then it might well be the pickup, which unless you're in a Metallica cover band, is not necessarily a bad thing. Part of Roy Buchanan's sound was due to the fact that his Tele was quite microphonic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.