Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIM Burton measurements

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by guitarguy41976, Oct 1, 2017.

1. guitarguy41976

guitarguy41976 TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2017
    USA
    Does anyone have a MIM Burton standard tele and a set of calipers that can measure neck depth at 1st and 12th fret? I cannot find actual measurement of this neck anywhere. Thanks!

2. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Here is a thread link where the poster made measurements on that neck at first and twelfth frets.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/mim-james-burton-standard-review.386998/

The .875"/.950" seem about right. I have a JB std also but don't think I ever measured that. It is a very full shaped neck and one of my favorite profiles for a maple board.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't disagree with Geo, and no I never got to measure one, but I think they tended to be considerably deeper than that. .875, plus not much shoulders on a MIM Burton (Deep Boatneck shape), sounds too diminutive to me. These were some of the very fattest necks that Ensenada made at the time and in some ways make a Baja neck seem small.

4. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I'll measure mine if my toolbox will give up my dial caliper. The movers, bless their hearts, turned my Snap On box on it's side to carry it and now the drawers are jammed by tools.

Edit: My '97 is .855" behind the 1st fret, .930" behind the 12th fret. I've never considered mine to be either fat or deep, but the slight U profile makes it feel full in the hand. My Baja 50's neck at least *feels* much bigger. IMO, of course.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

5. guitarguy41976

Sep 30, 2017
    USA
    Thanks for the replies. So I purchased a Mutt of a Tele yesterday that has a Burton standard neck MSN5 serial number on it. .83" behind 1st fret & .88" behind 12th fret. Definitely fuller in the shoulders but not deep at all.

6. guitarguy41976

Sep 30, 2017
    USA
    The size of your Burton is exactly what I was hoping to find. I have a Muddy Waters MIM that is .85" & .92" and is just about perfect for me. I would just like to find something similar with a maple board preferably with a alder body. IE Burton standard

7. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Check for one on reverb.com. There are usually one or two, used, and some new ones from the small sellers even though the model is discontinued.

They're multi-piece alder with veneer front and back, the same as any MIM Standard. Older ones (pre 2000?) are poplar with the same type of construction.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I wonder if they changed the dimensions of the neck section. The last couple I played were 2004-2005 dates, and they were huge.

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Been meaning to get out the calipers; maybe later today or tomorrow for sure.

I had both the JB std and the Baja. I think the Baja was slightly more chunkier, but it's gone - recently gave the Baja to my nephew; he's a good kid and I wasn't playing it. the JB is my number 1.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Measured this morning. It's a JB standard that was built in 2001. It's .88 behind the first fret and .93 behind the 12th fret.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.