Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mike Simpson's 2012 Challenge Build thread -- COMPLED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Mike Simpson, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I took the CocoSonic out for the photo shoot today.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    More Pics from the CocoSonic photo shoot today.

Attached Files:

3. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Here a sound file of what the guitar sounds like recorded with a Tascam DR-05

Attached Files:

4. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Here is the video and the final picture.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    That sounds sweet!!! Super build and some nice playin'.

6. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Sounds great Mike. Spiffy duds too!

7. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Wow Mike,

The tones you are getting from the CocoSonic are unbelievable. This is one soulful machine. It's one of the best working pickup combos I've seen in the build challenge. Very well done sir!

Rob

8. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Thanks guys....

Maricopa... I always dress like that...

9. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    Outstanding, Mike!

Sounds just brilliant. Congrats! :)

10. CarlosN

CarlosN Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Great looking guitar, that neck is just killer! Nicest looking neck I have ever seen! Great build.

11. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    It's just stunning, Mike. Beautiful work. The body color and neck are perfect together.

12. Jellyblaster

Jellyblaster TDPRI Member

May 18, 2012
    England
    Middle position

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on making that great guitar.

The middle position sounds good - are the pickups out of phase? I remember combining a neck humbucker and bridge single coil (from different manufacturers) a few years ago, and according to the colours of the pickup wires they should have been in phase but sounded out of phase. I swapped the wires of one pickup and that put them back to sounding in phase. I used a push-pull pot to get a choice between the in and out of phase sounds. It could work well on your guitar and add another useful tone.

13. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Jelly,
    I did not intentionally wire it out of phase and it is not real thin just kind of mid scooped in the middle position. The neck pickup is a Gibson with the braided ground and the bridge is an OC Duff. Maybe the polarity is switched.

This recording with the still photos is a 1949 Deluxe TV front recorded with a Tascam DR-05 handheld recorder. The sound in this one is a lot better than the one with me in it recorded with my android phone.
    [/QUOTE]

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Mike,

I have to say your demo video tone was so good that it has inspired me to check out mini humbuckers/ firebird pickups. I've never run a humbucker in a Tele but I could easily be a convert.

Rob

15. Jellyblaster

May 18, 2012
    England
    I just did a comparison on the guitar I have that has the push-pull phase switch on one of the pots. The pickups are in the neck and bridge positions like yours. The out-of-phase position sounds like your middle position, while the in-phase sound doesn't have that scooped sound. The amount of phase cancellation between two pickups is greatest when the pickups are identical and close together. You have two different pickups and they are several inches apart so that's why you're not getting a really thin out-of-phase tone.

It's a good tone as it is, but I think you may have another good tone available if you reverse one of the pickups. If you decide to reverse the polarity of one of them, make it the bridge. If you reverse the neck, and the metal cover is wired in common withe the -ve connection, when reversed it will end up on the +ve side of the circuit and buzz when touched.

16. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The Three Amigo's

These are my 2012, 2011 and 2010 TDPRI challenge Build guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I considered switching one of the pickups but I like the middle tone for greater variety. If I switched the bridge there would be another issue since I grounded the bridge seperately and the bridge pickup baseplate is also grounded. I would have to unground the bridge and then there may be touch sensitivity when touching the bridge. I would be interested in adding a push pull to add the in phase tone and retain the out of phase tone as well.

18. Jellyblaster

May 18, 2012
    England
    In that case you'd need to make sure the ground connection was separate from the -ve pickup wire, so you'd have 3 wires: the ground (which would always be connected to ground), the -ve and the +ve. By having the ground separate from the -ve you can connect the -ve and +ve wires to the +ve or -ve side of the circuit without any buzz when you touch the metal parts. I had a similar thing happen when I wanted to put an in/out phase switch on a humbucker where the metal pickup cover was wired in common with the -ve side of the circuit. I had to desolder the connection between the cover and the pickup -ve wire so I could put the pickup out of phase but always keep the cover connected to ground. That was why I suggested not putting your humbucker out of phase in case you ran into the same problem.

Congrats for making those other two Teles. I especially like the one with the P90s.

19. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The brown one with 2 P-90's is wired like a vintage Les Paul and has that out of phase sound in the middle position with both volumes all the way up. As soon as one of the volumes is lowered it gets louder and sounds in phase. That was my 2011 Challenge build and the 2009 Challenge build is the copper metalflake esquire with a cocked wah position on the switch. All are loosers in the build competition.

Here are some better pics of the brown one.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/2011-tdp...pri-build-challenge-thread-5.html#post3274092

20. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Incredible work, Mike. I am so impressed - with all three Teles! Fantastic job. Those are all WINNERS.

And thanks for showing just how you did everything. You are a master craftsman.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.