Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mike Bloomfield Telecaster template

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Apr 9, 2017.

1. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2015
    California
    From a stewmac video it looks like you'll have to make it reverse-compound. It was close to 9.5" in the middle, and like 6" on the higher frets! ;-)

2. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I believe the fingerboard got to that point because of fingerboard wear. Dan Erlewine did say that it was heavily worn from playing, I am unsure if fender did compound fingerboards back then.

3. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2015
    California
    Yeah, I was just joking. Even if they did do compound, they wouldn't put the rounder part on the higher frets.

Marn99 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Fender did do the laminated fretboard with the curve on the bottom. I read that in one of preeb's builds I think. I just can't remember when they did it.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Veneers came on mid '62 and lasted to 1980 from what I have read here.

http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html

Rosewood fingerboard, "Veneer", 1962-1980: from August 1962 till 1980, Fender used a curved bottom rosewood fingerboard that was much thinner than the slab 'board. The veneer of rosewood got even thinner by mid 1963. Also by 1966 the rosewood changed from Brazilian to Indian rosewood. Veneer fingerboards are also identifiable from the peghead by their "dished" line (dishes toward the nut), just above the nut.

7. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    So I have been pouring over videos and pictures of this telecaster's fingerboard dots and I am almost 100% certain that the dots are indeed white vulcanized fiberboard, which is what was often used at fender in the early 60s. The reason why I am not fully certain is because in the videos I come close to getting a close obscured view of the dots but not quite enough for a positive ID. Does anyone have a 63 tele neck they can photograph the dots for me? Or perhaps take a look at the stewmac videos and see for yourself? At any rate, I learned that the reason why the white vulcanized fiberboard looks like a creamy clay color is because it is almost entirely pure cellulose, and therefore very absorbent. It turns color over time as it soaks up skin oils and pigments from the rosewood. Here is a picture of a 1961 Stratocaster that spent most of it's life so far in a closet, you can see how white and unaged the dots are, except for the higher frets, where it appears that the natural oils in the rosewood have leached into the fiber. Finally, while I have had great success with finding thick pieces of black vulcanized fiberboard, the kind that was used from the 50s to late 60s on maple necks, I have found zero sources of thick pieces of white vulcanized fiberboard :mad:. Any ideas?
    white-stratocaster-clay-dots.jpg

8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I think they were made from clay.

Marn99 likes this.
  9. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    They weren't a paste though, pictures from the 50s show them as cut and pre shaped.

10. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    The "Mike Bloomfield Tele" as some think of the hacked up Tele being described here, was never hacked up when Mike Bloomfield had it:

Sometime between Newport and November of ’65, Bloomfield – a disciple of electric blues and Les Paul players like Freddie King, John Lee Hooker, and Muddy Waters – traded the Tele to guitarist John Nuese for a ’54 Les Paul goldtop. Nuese, a studio musician and member of the International Submarine Band (alongside Gram Parsons, with whom he created the footings of the country-rock genre), played chicken-pickin’ country music in the Bakersfield style, so the move to a Telecaster made sense. He was also a lefty who played guitars upside-down but kept them strung “righty.” To make the Tele better suit his needs, he made several modifications – the less-obvious being holes drilled to reposition its strap buttons, while the more glaring involved his use of a jigsaw to create a second treble-bout cutaway to accommodate his reach up the fretboard.

After Nuese passed away in 2012, the Telecaster was bequeathed (along with his ’48 Martin D-28) to longtime friend Lans Christian, who recently contacted renowned repair expert/VG columnist Dan Erlewine, seeking advice on restoration.

If SRV's #1 Strat had the upper bout cut off with a hack saw, would it still be considered The SRV Strat...C'mon people, quit making a legend of this guitar..it's ruined ..can't even be repaired. It's not the Tele Mike Bloomfield made music on anymore.

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Ruined? Maybe disfigured....I suspect that a decent woodworker could graft on a replacement upper bout with only moderate effort in an hour. It's a chunk of wood. A les paul peghead restoration would be harder to do.

This is what a ruined tele looks like from my perspective:

DSC05128.JPG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  12. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    We've been over this already in the previous posts. I am making two versions of this guitar, one being original and the other being its current state! and if you have nothing positive to say please don't say it. Also it isn't ruined, it is just modified, people did that back then, it wasn't a 30,000 dollar guitar back then. Nuese certainly wasn't the first to abuse it, Bloomfield would go to Highway 61 recording sessions without a case and he and this telecaster would be covered in snow and he would bang the tele against the wall to get the snow off of it. Also, does this guitar still play? does it sound like Michael Bloomfield? the answer to both of those questions is yes, so why say that the guitar is ruined???

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  13. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
  14. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    No. Michael Bloomfield sounded like Michael Bloomfield ;)

Marn99 likes this.
  15. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    even then that could be fixable. make a U shape out of an a ash body blank, line up a template with the routes, shape the body, then use ash plugs to fix the wierd cavity connections.

16. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    point taken :lol:

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I agree with you...but what would be the point? It isn't like it is the only 1960 body in existence.....At some point one has to be realistic and just keep it for what it is...a good example of how people can do strange things to their possessions.

Marn99 likes this.
  18. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    out of curiosity where did you find this image :lol:

19. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I'm reminded of the old joke:

Guy 1: this old hammer belonged to my great-great grandpa

Guy 2: Really? That's really cool!

Guy 1: Yep. It's gone through 10 new handles and 2 new heads.

20. miguel503

miguel503 NEW MEMBER!

Apr 5, 2017
    portland oregon usa
    this is really weird

a couple months ago i set out starting a plan to build the bloomfield tele too. mine is going to be a little different though. i wrote an email to dan erlewine about some specs and he got back to me. i suppose you could send an email to GE Smith or whoever else you can find that has seen or played this instrument - they're just people and put on pants every day like the rest of us.

i just started buying electronics last night. im in the middle of 4 other guitars but the next set will include this tele.

weird zeitgeist symmetry synchronicity

Marn99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.