Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mike Bloomfield Telecaster template

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I do want to confirm with what Steve Holt said, and I was going to stay out of it because I don't want to come off as rude to RickyRicardo, because he has been such a great help with my walnut tele build and I'm not here to make enemies, but nobody should think that John Nuese (the lefty guitarist whom Bloomfield traded this guitar with for a goldtop LP) was the first to abuse this guitar. According to Al Kooper and Bob Dylan, Bloomfield would show up to Highway 61 Revisited rehearsals and recording sessions with rain and snow on him, carrying this Telecaster without a case, and he would bang this guitar against the wall to get the clinging snow off. I honestly don't think Bloomfield cared too much for the aesthetics of this guitar, to him it was just another guitar, because he could make any guitar sound amazing. I also don't think it is right to refuse to acknowledge what this guitar has been through throughout its life, both good and bad.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    kylejf90 and Steve Holt like this.

2. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    Thanks for offering. You keep going man, there is nothing wrong with offering this up and frankly, I'm ashamed that you experienced the negativity and pessimism about this.

Grux and Steve Holt like this.

3. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I'm with mPact here... you continue on to build the guitar of your dreams!

Isn't that the point of building a custom guitar??

I for one will be watching and following along.

mPacT likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Sorry for the negative response. It is the guitar that you want so go for it. I have to keep the old mouth in check.

Marn99 and mPacT like this.

6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Ben sent me the images and I set out to draw a reasonably accurate plan for him. I'm not sure if I'm the one guilty of being negative and pessimistic, I was simply concerned that the method Ben was using to draw his plan for templates would not produce a guitar that would intonate. As I suspected the images are skewed so they can not be used to create a template and some interpretation needs to be done.

Here's what I came up with, it's all about where you want to compromise to compensate for the skew.

[​IMG]

The image from the front is severely skewed so I opted to use the image of the back (which is also skewed but not as much). After lining up the image as best I could and drawing the cutaway, I then transferred the outline of the back onto the image of the front, you can see how different they are. As I suspected in my earlier posts these images could not have been printed 1:1 and been accurate with regards to neck pocket and bridge mounting screws. Obviously this isn't 100% accurate with regards to the cutaway but it is accurate with regards to neck pocket, cavities, string-thru and bridge mounting and the outside shape matches the Tdowns plans. Maybe I should print the linework in color so you can better see how the holes and cavities line up with the image.

So Ben if you are good with my interpretation of the images I will print fullsize plans for you and drop them in the mail. Otherwise let me know how you want it adjusted.

mPacT, AAT65, Marn99 and 1 other person like this.

7. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    sure thing, go for it :)

8. Chanan

Chanan TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2015
    New York
    This thread must have popped up before, because I could've sworn I saw somebody post this video, but...

According to Dan, Bloomfield didn't actually make the cutaway, fwiw...

h2odog and Marn99 like this.

9. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    that was me who made that post before. It was John Nuese who made the cutaway, he got the Tele for a '54 (I think?) goldtop LP.

10. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Don't worry! I can understand why you wouldn't like it, it is after all a piece of history that has been changed from its original form. We all let our mouths run off sometimes, I did it when I made that thread about Gibson quality control!

11. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    So I took some notes on this instrument a few weeks ago by studying the stewmac videos and historical pictures of it. Here's what I got.
    Body:
    Ash body, pretty straight grained, looks flatsawn
    blonde lacquer, nitrocellulose, pretty hard to see grain, somewhat easier to see under the pickguard, where the lacquer is unaged (was thicker lacquer a thing in the 60's or is the finish just so aged it is obscuring the grain?)
    Bridge pocket date 10-63, written in blue colored pencil
    nail hole in bottom left corner of bridge cavity, used for template fixing, it lands right at the bottom of the 0 in the colored pencil date
    Bridge pickup output: 5.95 (these are 68 pickups, not the original 63's, though according to GE Smith, they still sound pretty correct, I have no idea what the output of a 63 pickup would be)
    Neck pickup output: 6.92
    Sharpie marker cursive L(I think?) on the back of the control plate next to the switch
    sounds best with .11 strings
    Original bridge is a knurled/threaded 3 saddle bridge
    original should have nickel hardware, this guitar currently has late 60's chrome
    8 hole pickguard (-1 hole because of the cutaway)
    pickguard thickness (I have no idea other than that it is the original 63 pickguard)
    white pickguard, beveled edge (as opposed to the hard edges on a 50s tele)
    small filed away spot in pickguard right behind the truss rod nut
    hole in the pickguard and horn right below the pickguard screw
    currently has no switch tip

I have to drive to Ohio today, I have notes that I took on the neck, but it is an 8 hour drive, and I will post those when I get there :)

HairyChapter likes this.

12. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Amazing work you did there Muzikp! Thanks again!

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    You are welcome. I've printed 3 sets of plans for you just haven't made it to post office yet. Will be in the mail in the next couple of days tho.

Just curious, are you going to do the relic version of the build?

Marn99 likes this.

14. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I am going to relic the cutaway version, the original version will be a replica of when it was new. I don't think I will do too much relicing, maybe just refrigerate for a few minutes to get the checking and isolate and use a small uv light where the foxing is.

15. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    For me the freezer then hot sun several times didn't really work. The freezer to hot sun made the larger cracks you can see in the lacquer but didn't cause any of the small checking. To get the small checking I had to set it in the hot sun for a while and while it was in the sun I hit it with the spray cans of computer keyboard cleaner. That produced the checking but I had to rub some tinted water into the cracks otherwise the lacquer would sorta heal itself and I couldn't see the checking. In the end it was like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It turned out ok for this build, but the relics I did after that I just used the sun and keyboard cleaner to replicate the checking and avoided the big cracks. Just something to think about.

16. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    James, are you holding the keyboard cleaner can upside down when you spray it to cause the propellent to flash freeze the surface?

17. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    Taste, Taste has so many options
    My late sister was said to turtle-dog ugly (armadillo ugly,) and despite my caring for the poor child, upon occasion, I might discreetly allude to her natural beauty as challenging once in a great while, but, hey! she was kinfolk. That's my little sister, who did eventually marry a fellow that looked like he walked off the pages of Thomas Pynchon novel V, sewer alligator hunter by profession, a dear friend of the family to be exact. anyway, it's not like ia hideous world will be seriously affected by one more piece of ugly, as there is lots of room for finite variations of ugly, even ugly as sin. Not that I am casting aspersions using snide innuendo to refer to this novel project.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    fenderchamp likes this.

18. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    So here are my notes on the Bloomfield Telecasters neck, I did write some question marks on this, if you know the answers to them please feel free to let me know:
    Neck, hard maple, for the most part, flatsawn, it is hard to tell from the stewmac video
    strong ray flecking on the treble side of the neck
    Brazilian rosewood laminated style fingerboard, thin (I would make it a bit thicker on the reproduction to facilitate longer lifespan in terms of refretting)
    this particular piece of Brazilian rosewood is a dark chocolate color, and is quartersawn
    7.25 radius
    Lots of fret wear, almost looks scalloped on the higher frets, especially strong wear under the middle two strings of the fingerboard (I don't know how I would reproduce it, I probably won't and let my own fingers make it ;))
    Fender clay dots (they used white vulcanized fiberboard punched into circles according to a friend of Leo Fender)
    between the nut and the first fret, it appears someone shot a staple into the fingerboard
    bone nut
    it has those gull wing string trees, as apposed to the traditional circular ones that were seen in the 50's. Would these string trees have been nickel?
    string tree on B and High E string and on the D and G string. it is missing the tree on D and G
    Nickel single line Kluson's
    Would the neck plate be nickel or unfinished steel?
    serial number on the neck plate reads L11155, putting making it a 1963 telecaster
    Heel adjusted, one way truss rod, slotted nut
    What shape was the anchor on a rosewood boarded 60's neck?
    Date on neck reads 3 AUG 63B
    B makes the width of this neck at the nut 1 5/8ths
    two small burn marks on the treble side of the neck past the nut (cigarette, match, lighter???)
    bottom of the neck pocket has lacquer on the treble side, none on the bass side, this is because in the 60's fender screwed the body to a finishing stand by using the holes on the bass side to attach it
    Grey phenolic factory shim
    I did some (terrible) sketches on MS paint of what the neck pocket and end grain of neck looks like.
    neck pocket mike bloomfield tele.png
    bloomfield telecaster neck end grain.png

19. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    No, I didn't know holding it upside down would make it colder, it's ridiculously cold when sprayed normal. I just leave the bodies in the sun until they get pretty warm to the touch then spray right side up. I'll try it upside down next time and see what that does. Also I think it has a lot to do with how thick your finish is, the guitar in those photos was a very early build of mine and I'm guessing the finish was pretty thick. As my finishing skills improved the relic'ing became easier with the thinner finishes.

I have found it to be very very difficult to make a relic fretboard and get it to look legit. The one on the guitar pictured is probably the best one I've done and it's just ok. A rosewood relic board would probably be easier, just put on a cloth glove with some sort of dark goop and some stain soaked into the fingertips and play scales for 10-15 minutes, let it dry and it might look alright.

Ben regarding your picture above, it's really hard to make a fretboard with a curved bottom. I'm not aware of any that fender ever did like that. There is a guy on this site that shows how to do it, but that was a loooong time ago tho, not sure if I can find it. Actually I think it was on a guitar he built as a prize for the 2011 or 2012 challenge build. I'll see what I can find.

mPacT likes this.

20. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    fender did indeed do this. It is called laminated style and was used from the early to late 70s, I am also designing a jig that will leave behind scrap brazilian rosewood instead of dust :)

21. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Oh, who knew???

The guy that did one here just made his like a veneer and bent it when he glued it on. Looked tricky to get it perfect. Looking forward to seeing how you do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.