Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mike Bloomfield Telecaster template

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    But I managed to make a 100% dead on template of Mike Bloomfield's Telecaster. I am Thinking about making it and sharing the results eventually. I think the horn (not the cutaway) needs some more work but the rest is dead on. If anyone really wants it I might turn it from 1:1 pencil drawing to 1:1 pdf and you can message me. Here it is :)
    IMG_3206[1].JPG
    IMG_3204[1].JPG
    IMG_3205[1].JPG

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

2. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    So the reason why the hole markers are so big and not a perfect circle is because I hand traced around the diameter of the screw heads and marker dots on an illuminated life sized image, and I want to find the centers of these holes so I know where they actually are. Does anyone have these diameters? (ie the neck plate screws, bridge screws, pickguard screws, control plate screws, string tree screws) My clay dots from stewmac have a 6 mm radius but I have a hunch that Fender didn't use a metric radius in 1963. I can double check with my images when I get home today.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I think, if I were to make a replica of James Dean's Porsche, I would make it like it was BEFORE he wrecked it ;)

DonM, 8barlouie, chemobrain and 9 others like this.

4. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I am planning on making a pre cutaway version as well. I want to make this one because I write left handed, but I can play ambidextrously, albeit stronger playing right handed.

TigerG likes this.

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Ugliest Tele ever. I'm not sure of the attraction..

Rich B in Tempe likes this.

6. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I see your "its an ugly guitar" and I raise you this! :lol:
    strat ugly 5.jpg
    images.jpg

DonM, 8barlouie, chemobrain and 6 others like this.

7. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    100% dead on hand drawn template that needs more work on taped together pieces of paper? [Raises eyebrow].

Rich B in Tempe likes this.

8. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Let me clarify, it is dead on in the sense that it is true to this particular tele, which early ones had variations in shape. I traced it from a life sized photo of it though I think I traced the horn poorly.

9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Allow me to quote James again...

10. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    So what's the attraction? It certainly isn't cool. It may have some history to it but that's about it. It's still butt ugly.

Rich B in Tempe, kuvash and Marn99 like this.

11. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    the attraction is my ability to play ambidextrously, the history played on it, I actually find the asymmetry kind of cool in a weird way, I am making a non cutaway version, and....because I can? :twisted:

xafinity likes this.

12. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Fair enough. Let's see the sawdust ;)

13. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    The sawdust will start with me gluing the paper template to a piece of mdf or plywood (high grade Baltic birch likely) and trimming and filing up to the lines with a bandsaw, filing with a fret leveler placed on its side so it is 90 degrees, and perhaps carefully using a oscillating sander for the contours. One thing I do want to try is perhaps taking my image to kinkos/fedex and see if they can print it accurately at 1:1, I would use the width at the nut (it is a B neck, so it is a 1 5/8ths width). If they cannot I do want to double and triple check my drawings before I get to work. :)

14. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Maybe I'm missing something but isn't the Bloomfield tele just a standard 63' tele with a piece of the horn cut off? If so why not just print the known accurate tdowns plans available on these forums and then just sketch the cut off horn onto those plans? As it is drawn now on taped together paper I wouldn't trust your placement of bridge screw holes, string-thru holes, neck pocket, pick guard holes, centerline and on and on. If you print your image at 1:1 using the nut width it will not be accurate. If you are even 1/128th of an inch off on measuring the nut on the image you will be way off by the time you multiply the slight inaccuracy all the way to bridge holes. I don't mean at all to be a downer here, I'm just trying to understand your reasoning and approach and caution you that your method may not produce a playable guitar that will intonate properly. If you insist on printing your image at 1:1 please scale it based on 25.5" scale length instead of the nut, your margin of error will be far less over that distance than the short distance of the nut (assuming there is zero skew to the image) but be warned it will still be inaccurate.

Rich B in Tempe and Piggy Stu like this.

15. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    No worries, I am open to any suggestions because I want this to be as accurate of a replica as possible. While it is a standard '63 telecaster, if I am not mistaken there is still variation between each individual guitar because of their handmade nature, and I want this to be a template of this guitar. I believe it was CBS that made things automated.

16. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I have a couple more ideas too. If you were to print it out with the scale length correct at 25.5 and the nut width correct at 1 5/8ths, that would have to make a 1:1 picture perfect both lengthwise and widthwise. Another idea would be to find someone on TDPRI who is skilled with drawing, CAD, etc etc and ask for their help.

Piggy Stu likes this.

17. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    James is right. It is just a '63 Telecaster. Not insignificant but it was the very early ones in the 50's that had a wide range of variation. A '63 is 13 years after the Tele was first created so that variations would be slight to non-existent. Fender had probably made a few thousand by then and had a standard down. Take his advice and save yourself some grief. Use the tdowns plan, hack up the horn and you'll be good to go. You can try and make it as accurately as possible but what does that really mean? You can't duplicate the tone nor the patina and that's what more important.

18. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    It could be better to say "yeah I don't like it, but it's not my guitar." Obviously Marn likes this guitar, so why shoot him down and say "it certainly isn't cool."

Marn, I think it's great! Keep working at it, and keep the posts coming.

Marn99 likes this.

19. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    I'll draw it for you in CAD and send you a few full size print outs. My email is in my profile, send me your image so I can get the horn right and send me the address where you want the plans mailed.

20. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.