Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIK Telecaster - non though strung - Bridge Change?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by fuzzbuzzfuzz, Mar 17, 2013.

1. fuzzbuzzfuzz

fuzzbuzzfuzz TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Japan
    So I have a MIK Telecaster. It is not strung through the body. I would like to change the bridge over from the fairly awful flat plate 6 saddle, to a nice vintage 3 saddle. Anyone done this mod already or could recommend a replacement bridge?

Thanks

2. iheartreverb

iheartreverb Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2012
    Glasgow
    No but I have the exact issue with mine. From asking on here and a little research myself I think you would have to drill new holes and once the (smaller) vintage bridge is in place live with slightly visible old holes.
    Let me know how you get on.

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Many people have found the string through to be not worth the effort. Some have even gone back to the bridge mount.....

Tradition dictates string through but I wouldn't rule out the bridge.....

4. mally

mally Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2013
    runcorn cheshire uk

5. iheartreverb

iheartreverb Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2012
    Glasgow
    He's not changing it to string through body. Just mentioning that it is toploader only. Is the issue not just weather the vintage 3 saddle can replace a flat plate 6 saddle easily?

6. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc

7. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    You can do the conversion yourself with a drill and a vise. Just drill three holes in the back of the bridge between the string loading holes, and use these to mount your three saddles. It'll still be top loading.

Here's an old thread I posted with pictures and some discussion of this mod:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/255442-simple-six-three-saddle-conversion.html

It's an easy mod, the only thing at all difficult is getting the new holes centered, as the drill bit will want to wander a bit at first. You can solve this by using a hammer and nail to make small indentations where you plan to drill.

8. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    Or buy the $12 Fender ashtray bridge from MF, drill out the back for the six strings and mount it on your guitar. You will need to drill new mounting holes.

Easy, that is how I put an ashtray on my MIM Squier.

The ashtray bridge gives it more high end than the thick bridge plate imo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.