Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIJ strat help

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RnBtele, Jun 17, 2017.

1. RnBtele

RnBtele TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Starkville, Mississippi
    So I was in guitar center the other day checking out a 52 hotrod tele and noticed they had a 92 (I think) mij 57reissue strat in two tone sunburst. Now the pickups had been swapped for DiMarzios so I don't know what else had been swapped on the guitar and I didn't think to write down the model number on the neck but the neck did say made in Japan and felt almost as thick as the 52 hotrod. The major difference I noticed was the hotrod was a deep d or u shape while the strat was like a full chunky c shape. So my question is if that could have been an actual 57 reissue?

I've done some research online and I see mixed opinions. Some people said 57s have chunky necks while others said it's slimmer and only slightly thicker than the modern c shape neck on the mim standard strats. The neck on my main tele is an allparts chunky soft v neck. I can't recall but I think it's like .9 at the neck and .97 at the 12th fret, but I know the soft v can make it seem smaller especially since it's vintage radius. Are there any mij strats that came with chunky c necks?

Unfortunaly I don't currently have the funds to purchase that particular strat but if I could find one with a similar neck and color it'd be my dream strat haha.

I really appreciate any help or insight you guys could give.

2. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Unless there are true mij experts here, the only information I have (from experience owning several late 80s mij strats both Squier and fender from the fujigen factory) is that they're wonderfully sporadic with myriads of options. No two that I've had or played have been alike. But they've all been fantastic.

3. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    All of my mij strats have had pretty slim c shape necks, including an early jv 57 reissue (83 I think?) with very vintage style tiny frets (my favorite)

4. MRey

MRey Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    IL
    Without neck stamps and body stamps it's near impossible to say what it was, Japan made a lot of different models.

FWIW I have an 89 reissue, they were called "collectibles" at the time, that is based on a 54 and it has a pretty chunky neck.

5. RnBtele

RnBtele TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Starkville, Mississippi
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. After researching, I also started to wonder if the neck or the whole guitar itself was mislabeled and it was actually a mij 54 or 58. Wish I had thought to remember the serial number... Guess I might have to resort to a partcaster strat. Have y'all had any experience with the vintage 56 pickups or the custom shop 54s?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.