Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIJ 70's Reissue Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mcfoo57, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mcfoo57

mcfoo57 NEW MEMBER!

I just purchased a MIJ Tele and looking for some information. It's a natural finish with black guard, rosewood looking fingerboard and two string trees. Stamped on the neck heel is TL72-55 with a large "Z" stamp also. The neck pocket has what looks like "JVN" stamped in it. No pencil date and it also has a allen wrench adjustable truss rod accessed at the pickguard end of the neck per usual. The serial number is on the front of the headstock below the "Fender Telecaster" and starts with an "E" followed by six numbers
    It was sold to me as an 1986 Tele MIJ 70's reissue. I love it, it plays wonderfully, and just wondering what it is I have? What is the finish on these, poly or lacquer?
    Any and all info is very much appreciated!
    Chris
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    To the best of my knowledge. The body should be Sen, likely 2-3 pieces. Possibly an A serial Fender Japan bridge, Japan pots, Japan YM-30 switch??, Japan pickups... Neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard, 7.25 radius with vintage frets.

The finish should be polyurethane, but is still pretty thin. I have a Fender Japan TL72-Order Made with an ash body, but it also had a polyurethane finish in walnut. Josh

3. mcfoo57

mcfoo57 NEW MEMBER!

View attachment 478813 View attachment 478814 View attachment 478815
    Thanks Josh. It looks like a two piece body, most of the guts have been "upgraded" to US stuff, including bridge which only says "Fender" with "Pat. Applied" under neath that. I get the sense that this isn't really a reissue but a more contemporary model, hence the allen wrench style truss rod adjustment. Oh, and also the Fender/Japan tuners that were included in the case (it has 70's style tuners installed currently).

4. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    That's right... Mine also has the same Fender stamped bridge. The TL52/TL62 both have the A serial bridge.

Even though they aren't proper reissues down to the nuts, they are solid instruments.
    I actually prefer MIJ to MIM most days, but that is just a personal preference. Josh

5. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    My MIJ paisley from the mid-80s is awesome! Enjoy your guitar!

mcfoo57 likes this.
  6. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    Attachment cannot be found.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.