Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIII Tone Improvement?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Pat D, Sep 22, 2015.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    "I also took some time again to compare the difference on a clean tone between A) setting master volume to 10 adjusting volume with the preset knob, and B) the normal way of using master volume at 2 or 3 to control volume. The 10 setting definitely gives more pronounced highs and lows, and just a fuller sound altogether."

Well dang Pat, I thought I'd made my mind up on this issue, but what you're saying is making me want to revisit this once more. Which is a good thing. The MIII is so very tweakable, it seems a shame not to get the most of it's fine tuning. It's just that, so many sounds are so good, right out of the box, it's easy to just quickly "set it and forget it".

Nice problem to have! :D

2. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    Yes, absolutely. I can't justify spending more money because the difference is so marginal. Nice problem to have!

The difference is subtle, though. I can see how some people might not hear the difference. Or some might not perceive enough difference for it to matter.

BTW, thinking more about the high gain noise... I wonder if there is a way to shield the speaker amplifier in the mustang to make it quieter? Seems like it should be possible, except that a lot (most?) of the interference causing the noise is injected into the stream before it even gets to the amp.

Idea... to eliminate interference in computer cables (USB etc.) ferrites are sometimes attached. What affect do these have on a guitar signal running through instrument cables?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Oh I could hear the difference, but my bandmates could hear the difference in noisiness, too, when I ran MV on 10, which made me decide to compromise

I do intend to revisit though, being careful to adjust volume on the presets to offsite cranking the MV. I am sure that I already did this, but maybe another try with some extra careful focus on the presets' volume levels will yield some different results.

It's certainly worth a try, nothing to lose and potential gain of even better sound. I'm glad you said something

Regarding your ferrite thoughts, I have no idea, but I bet some here would

4. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I keep thinking that, when funds allow, I will buy a DRRI but I sometimes wonder if I will actually do it when the time comes. I only play at home and the Mustang sounds so good and is so versatile that I wonder if the expense will be worth it.

One thing I do know, if I do decide to buy a DRRI I won't be selling the Mustang as it will be convenient to have it around for other sounds.

5. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    BTW, just to clarify what I did to test this...

- Metal 2000 amp model
    - max gain
    - preset volume set very low
    - master volume knob set to 5
    - amp model master volume (on page 2 of amp menu) barely cracked open

I picked the A string and let it ring. Turned up the preset volume to get a moderate sound intensity level and noted the Db level with the string ringing. Then noted the Db level on the sound meter app while not playing (background noise).

Then with...

- Metal 2000 amp model
    - max gain
    - preset volume set very low
    - master volume set to 10
    - amp model master volume (on page 2 of amp menu) barely cracked open

I picked the A string and let it ring. Turned up the preset volume knob to match the Db level in the earlier part of the test. Then checked the Db level while not playing.

Like I said, using the amp with the physical master volume lowered to 5 resulted in a 2 Db reduction in background noise while not playing. It wasn't enough to notice a difference to my ear by the time all the settings were changed. Sound intensity levels were very similar.

There may be some other balance of the amp model volume and master volume that results in quieter background noise, but I didn't check that out.

What I did notice is much punchier/crunchier overdrive with the master volume at 10.

6. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Pat you talk about having the amp model master vol on page 2 of the amp menu barely cracked open. That may be an important difference with our experiences, while I don't think I use the "Metal 200" model for any of my presets, I DO tend to crank the amp model master vol levels o the ones that I do use

7. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    I can see where that could be a completely different situation than what I was testing. For starters, on my phone the sound meter app doesn't work above a moderate volume level. So I didn't have the total output cranked up very high during that test. It might be different (more difference in background noise) at higher volumes.

Regardless, if you can live with whatever extra background noise the higher MV knob setting causes, it sure makes a positive difference in the resulting sound of the amp.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Yea, that could make a big difference. I didn't test at higher volumes because of the limitations of my cell phone's microphone, or whatever causes my sound meter app to stall at moderate volume levels.

8. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    The noise gate really helped on a couple settings that were hissy.

9. Grayson73

Grayson73 TDPRI Member

May 30, 2012
    Potomac, MD
    I have a G&L ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow 2013 Tele and a Mustang III V2.

Any recommendations for 3 presets from Fuse that I can download (clean, crunch, lead)?

10. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I tend to favor the Bassman model for both cleans and driven sounds

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I think this is the one I grabbed.

https://fuse.fender.com/mustang/presets/hopeful-sinner-clean-country/

I added a tiny bit of reverb on the amp, a simple comp on medium before the amp, and then tape delay afterwards (settings are something like 5, 2, 3.5, 6.5 from left to right on the delay - didn't change last two values). I play almost all my cleans with this.

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I have a semi hollow tele, with low out put pickups, and I like using it with
    a Fender Twin amp model and the Fender Deluxe. I make my own presets
    going off of the basic amp models, and just apply whatever effects I'm in
    the mood for. Adjust OD and EQ levels to taste and you're good to go.

I also have the Mustang Expression pedal, so I've been using it to adjust reverb
    levels while I'm doing a solo part, or playing something simple off of the melody.
    This gives some great, hands free dynamics.

13. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

The Bassman model is screwing with me. If it is anywhere close to what the real amp sounds like it makes me want one. But I do not need a 4x10 for home use! I think it would make more sense to stick to the DRRI when I next buy a tube amp.

14. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    :D That is what they sound like! Pretty nice, hey?

15. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Whatever you pick, don't be scared to tweak them a little to suit your guitar and tastes.

I mostly make my own, but there are a few that I use that were downloaded and either play as-is or have tweaked.

16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    If great fender clean tone is important to you, yes. I hear some saying the mustang's fender cleans are close, but i don't think they are even on the same planet as real fender tube amp cleans let alone the same ballpark. I have tried everything but putting a clean fender tube amp next to the mustang and A/B'ing them will immediately let you know what i'm saying. It's also as much a feel thing as tone. The mustang does great OD tones and great "guitar turned down to clean up" type of clean tones, but pure fender cleans, not remotely close IMO. get the deluxe if thats important to you, or better yet a blues Jr who'd cleans are just as fantastic and is cheaper and better for home use which you said is all you do.

17. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I am starting to get more into learning slide (arthritis in my hands which limits my ability to play in the normal fashion) so my next tube amp will be used primarily for slide. That brings me directly to the Deluxe Reverb (Derek Trucks) but I've also got a hankering for something from Marshall (Duane Allman), even though I had thought that I was over Marshalls.

18. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the feedback on this thread. I was really happy with the Mustang III, but it has moved on now. Still in the family though! I gave it to my son for Christmas and he is stoked.

I've finished out my pedal board now, so I'm not chained to the on-board effects of the MIII. I'm ready to try a tube amp now.

I found an Egnater Rebel 30 at GC priced at $249! No idea why it was priced so low other than it was a demo unit in the store, and has some wear and tear on it. Still, it's a $900 amp. Everything works and it sounded awesome in the store. It's shipping home right now. Can't wait to play through it.

19. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    So the Egnater finally showed up today. Thought I'd post a few thoughts.

First this thing sounds really great. I stopped a few times to ask myself if it really was that much better than the MIII?

Here are my initial thoughts...

When the MIII is dialed in it can sound really good. I'm not going to say as good as this amp, but the difference can be marginal *when* the MIII is dialed in on the money.

The big difference is this...

With this Egnater I can turn any knob or flip any switch and it will sound different, but it still sounds great.

The MIII always seemed like it was on a knife edge. If I got it sounding good I couldn't touch anything for fear of losing the sweet spot. There was very little margin to adjust things once it started sounding good.

This Egnater is a lot easier to get a great tone out of. The MIII can do it, but it was like pulling teeth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.