Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MIII Tone Improvement?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Pat D, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    I only have a few hours on the '57 so far. Warming up for this coming Sunday morning, so I will be putting a lot of hours on it this week. No glitches like you describe yet. I will keep an eye out for it.

The '57 is not quite as loud as the '65. That was the reason I went with the '65 before. I wasn't sure how much volume I would need, but now I think the '57 will be loud enough.

Two weeks ago I was running the preset volume around 5 on the '65 (with master volume on 10) and that was as loud as I will need. The '57 needs about 8 on the preset to get the same volume. It should be fine, and I like the added low end on it.

2. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    No, I haven't had that experience of white noise.

I was checking the difference this morning and find similar variances. My little test revealed volumes are about equal with the '57 on "5" and the '65 on "3".

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I'd be curious to see if the differential was the same on the
    real ones, although the speaker configuration difference would probably throw it off from a 1x12 Mustang III trying to emulate.

4. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    I dont keep my amp at home so I dont have it right now to try but I am thinking maybe the difference could be the speaker cab sims between the 57 and 65. I wonder if you switched them to both have the 57 or 65 speaker cab they would both have the same volume

5. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    I'm using the Bassman cabinet across the board right now, so my comparison above is using that same cabinet on both amp models.

6. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I tried this last night and my amp seemed kind of noisy once the master was above '7'. Has anyone else experienced this?

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I have a few settings I use with high master and low gain and yes, they are noisy with SC pickups.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    colchar, if you read through this thread, you will see that I've been discussing the issue you experienced. I found the best compromise was to run the master around 5 or so, using noise gate judiciously on my higher gain presets, and leaving the cleaner presets noisegate-free, for maximum responsiveness

9. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    Yea, and to re-iterate I'm looking for a completely clean tone with as little gain as possible, getting overdrive from some external pedals. In that scenario you can run 10 on the master volume and get a more spacious sound out of the Mustang.

BTW, with a clean tone and MV at 10, there is some hiss coming from the amp. I was worried about that, but then I compared it side by side with a Vox AC15 and they were about equal in that hiss sound when nothing is being played on the guitar.

Also, with loads of overdrive and compression the Vox amp and a neighboring Dr. Z amp also get pretty noisy. I'm not seeing a big difference in that regard using the Mustang compared to those tube amps. That's where a volume pedal comes in handy to shut everything off when not playing.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    "That's where a volume pedal comes in handy to shut everything off when not playing."

And that's where a Mustang Floor is really a great thing to have, you've got the volume pedal which can also be an expression pedal, and, you've got all the names of your presets right there, when you look down. Running in conjunction you've got system redundancy, in case something fails, you can go straight into a PA (something I've never tried)

11. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I was using an SG with humbuckers.

12. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Excellent, thank you.

I hadn't read the full thread. I had just remembered the main points when playing last night so I decided to try it. I was mainly concerned with trying to make my SG (490/498 pickups) sound good because, since I started playing with my fingers instead of a pick that guitar has sounded muddy. I still need to swap pickups but at least I managed to make it sound good with the '65 Twin. I also had the master at '5'.

I will read through the entire thread later tonight.

13. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I just noticed the bottle in your avatar. Even though I prefer the Sterling version to the one in that pic, all I can say is well done Sir! My poison of choice!

14. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    One thing that helped me with getting a good finger picking sound from my Les Paul was not being afraid to go bright on the amp, but ease way off the Tone control on the guitar. I love those SG's.

On another note, when you guys are talking about blasts of hiss, are you saying that the hiss will come on and off, or is it going on the whole time?
    Thanks!

15. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    With my LP, I have to go very bright on many of the settings as well. Especially to get the neck sounding decent. Just rolled off treble on the bridge.

Opposite of course with my Strat, so I just have a bank of settings for each guitar.

I can't speak for the others, but I was just referencing loud buzz/hiss at all times when not playing.

16. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

That is exactly what I have ended up doing!

The whole time. Right now I have the master down around '5' with no noise issues at all.

17. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    Continual hiss. Any amp I've ever heard will be noisy with high overdrive and compression. The internal effects on the Mustang are no different. It's the nature of the signal path and effect circuitry, I think, and has nothing to do with the amp.

18. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    And, I take it you guys noticing a good improvement in high gain tone with the MV on 5 compared to higher preset volume and lower master volume?

19. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Personally I've only played it clean thus far.

20. Pat D

Pat D TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Indiana
    Took a few minutes the other day to revisit high gain overdriven settings. It was interesting...

I've convinced myself that when when the audio output levels in Db are equal, a master volume setting of 10 is not significantly different that a setting of 5 in terms of 'noisiness'. Using a sound meter app on my phone, I compared 10 to 5 repeatedly, adjusting the preset volume to equalize the audio level in Db. I can't say 10 was equal to 5, but I could not tell a difference to my ear. While not playing, with only background noise coming through the amp, there was about a 2 Db difference on the meter app.

I read an online source saying that 1 Db is about the threshold where the human ear can detect a change in sound intensity. If that's the case then 2 Db is very little difference, and that seems about right judging by what I heard.

So it seems like the 5 master volume setting isn't much of an improvement unless I'm missing some other advantage. And, I think I can hear an improvement in tone at 10 compared to 5, so it seems worth the trade-off to go with master volume on 10 even with high gain.

I also took some time again to compare the difference on a clean tone between A) setting master volume to 10 adjusting volume with the preset knob, and B) the normal way of using master volume at 2 or 3 to control volume. The 10 setting definitely gives more pronounced highs and lows, and just a fuller sound altogether.

If not for this master volume at 10 deal I'd be shopping for a tube amp. As it is, I keep looking at tube amps but can't justify the expense and weight of tubes. The Mustang III is a better all around package! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.