Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Micro-Tilt Adjustment Screw

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by samuelmorrissey, Oct 8, 2018.

1. samuelmorrissey

samuelmorrissey Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Hi folks,

Quick question about my 2006 AM Std Tele..

Had it for a few weeks now and love it. I have noticed that there's a rattling sound whenever the guitar is moved along the axis where the face of the guitar is facing the floor or else is facing up.

Couldn't visually see what it was so I checked the pickups, bridge, under the pickguard & control cavity and nothing rattling around in there.

There's also 5 holes on the neck plate - 4 standard, 1 small - for a micro-tilt?

Then, I notice there's an adjustment screw in that smaller hole that's what was rattling around as the guitar moves. Bingo! I'm not 100% sure if there is a micro-tilt on this guitar (haven't had the neck off yet) but I'm going to assume there is. And should this screw be loose? Obviously i'ts not serving any function if it's not fixed in there

And can the adjustment screw be secured using a hex key through that smaller hole? Or do I need to take it apart and secure it with the neck and / or neck plate off?

Thanks
    S

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I’d take the plate off and poke around a little. A little more investigation would help locate the cause of the rattle.

asnarski likes this.

3. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear with the above!

The rattle seems to be the adjustment screw moving within the hole. I.e. it's not fixed into the anchor nut and you can see it moving around.

Can this be fixed in place from the back through the hole in neck plate? I have no problem taking the neck & plate off but I've just recently set it up and thought there might be an easy fix

Thanks,
    S

4. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Loosen the strings, remove the neck screws and plate, secure the tilt screw and replace. Maybe a dab of loc tite on the tilt screw threads can keep it from backing out in the future.

5. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Yeah, I might just have to do that. Thought I could adjust from the back of neck plate and tighten it up. It's setup fine without the use of the micro-tilt so would just need to secure the screw rather than bring it up through the nut

As far as I can remember this screw was loose when I got the guitar

6. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    You have the 4 bolt-neck version of the microtilt. If you're not using the microtilt feature you can remove the screw altogether if it bothers you, with a 1/8" hex key. Or screw it down until it comes up hard against the plate on the back of the neck (but does not tilt it), where it should stay. Or just put some wax on the screw to fix it more securely where it is. No need to take the neck off unless you can't get the screw out the back or tighten it (depending on which option you're going with).

7. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    No need to take the neck off if it otherwise plays fine. just use an Allen wrench and snug the screw down until it doesn't rattle anymore.

8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt

9. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Thanks for answers guys! Exactly what I'm looking for

Figured it was a quick fix - wasn't sure if that screw was supposed to be moving around in there or not!

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, just put some load on that little screw and it will go silent. Don't load the screw up any more than necessary.

11. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Assuming you can get the allen wrench into the loose grub screw, you should then be able to line it up with the t-nut into which the grub screw should thread. don't recall the allen wrench size offhand however... But remember it's not the end of the world to loosen the neck screws; you might do that to tweak the string alignment anyway. Just make sure you pay attention and watch for any shims that might be in there - you'll need to make sure they don't fall out and will be in the same spot when you tighten the neck again. However I don't see a reason to remove the neck. Remove three neck bolts. Loosen the fourth enough to swivel the plate so you have access to the loose grub screw, while keeping the guitar flat on a carpet or towel on your workbench so the neck doesn't shift too much.

12. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    I you do remove the neck, you don't want the grub screw poking out so much that it acts as a - wait for it - microtilt. if the neck was set up without that feature then you don't need it.

boris bubbanov likes this.

13. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Just snug it up for some tension on the screw. Or take the screw out, I've never had a Fender that needed that screw.... it's always a shim on the opposite end! Go figure.
    I did have a brand new Am Fender that the truss rod rattled though, returned it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.