Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mick Ronson Sound

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by HotRodSteve, Sep 22, 2017.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley

2. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

I love this vid which I've posted here before. Mick was both brilliant and a delightful, humble man who was a little taken for granted by DB, I think. Watched a couple of documentaries about him recently and really enjoyed them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    HotRodSteve likes this.

3. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    No, he just showed you it comes from that pedal :D

HotRodSteve likes this.

4. HotRodSteve

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    There's a video out there of some guy playing Ziggy on Mick's Les Paul and it sounds nothing like Mick.

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA

6. HotRodSteve

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    Mick checked out a year later. Life is short.

7. HotRodSteve

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    The end just kills me, seeing Mick playing Ziggy, maybe for the last time, just dust in the wind.

8. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Mick Ronson was one of my fave electric guitar players and a big influence. His stuff is so amazingly riffy, thunderous, and sounds so good on those early Bowie hits. And he was also an awesome producer and had a great ability to massage a song in the studio (listen to John Mellencamp's "baby rattles" story about Ronson producing "Jack & Diane"):

"Mick was very instrumental in helping me arrange that song, as I'd thrown it on the junk heap. Ronson came down and played on three or four tracks and worked on the American Fool record for four or five weeks. All of a sudden, for 'Jack & Diane,' Mick said 'Johnny, you should put baby rattles on there.' I thought, 'What the **** does put baby rattles on the record mean?' So he put the percussion on there and then he sang the part 'let it rock, let it roll' as a choir-ish-type thing, which had never occurred to me. And that is the part everybody remembers on the song. It was Ronson's idea."
    That "Mick Ronson Sound" video is so great because it shows what was special about him.

DonM and rze99 like this.

9. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    So funny and coincidental that you posted this thread. Just Friday night I was trying to figure out what my guitar set up sounded like. Then it hit me: Mick Ronson. And I was going to start a thread about sounding like Mick Ronson (not his style mind you, I can't mimic that) which is probably a ubiquitous sound. Why? Well, I'll explain in a second.

Anyways, I tried to decide if I liked the sound or not. And I realized that when I was in my late teens or 20s, maybe even 30s, I would have died to get that sound. But now although it's fun to jam that sound occasionally, it just doesn't get me excited about guitar.

I get it through a les paul (duh), deluxe reverb and overdrive pedal. Pretty commonplace.

Love bowie and Mick. loved how creative his style was. That heavy, heavy sound is so suited for driving the Ziggy Stardust motif.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.