Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Michael Kelly 1953 tele vs G&L Asat Tribute tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by bbdowns124, Mar 30, 2017.

1. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-g-l-tribute-asat-classic-butterscotch-blond.767677/
    Disregard the first set of pics, go with these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as how this G&L compares to the Michael Kelly, no contest G&L by a mile as far as playability. I may favor the neck profile so that is personal opinion but setup and frets better as well. MK do look cool and seem well put together so perhaps consistency issues maybe some play better out of the box, I would think the local shop would spend a bit of time with it before hanging it on the rack. All I did right out of the gates was give neck relief, adjust a couple saddle and re-string. After a couple days had to tighten input jack. Hope this helps

2. shogan

shogan TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2017
    S.W. FL
    Sorry, remove.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Both are good.
    The Kelly looks better.
    I have yet to find a "bondable" Tribute.

4. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    MK does offer some gorgeous finishes. :eek:

5. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle
    May I suggest a Partscaster! I built a 1953 tribute:

1. Muslikraft Blackguard neck 1953 Serial Number 3912 (based off the actual serial #3912 neck - you can choose from a number of Blackguard necks) 9.5 radius 6105 frets (my change) - aged by MJT. I only aged the back of the neck with an "overspray" the fretboard was not aged but is being aged quite nicely by me right now.
    2. MJT Cinnamon Burst Body - two piece Swamp Ash lightly aged
    3. Callaham Hardware (included all electronics, tuners, correct bakelite pickguard, etc.) - aged by MJT
    4. Don Mare Hayride pickups - aged by Don Mare
    5. Setup and Plek'd by Mike Lull (Mike Lull Guitars and Basses in Seattle)
    All of this equals lightweight, beautiful playing, tone machine. Much less the a CS and totally cool.

What would I have done differently - I think I would have gone with 7.5 radius and vintage frets just for vintage correctness, but that is more of a nit pick. Also stainless frets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.