Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Michael Kelly 1953 tele vs G&L Asat Tribute tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by bbdowns124, Mar 30, 2017.

1. bbdowns124

bbdowns124 TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2017
    USA
    Can anyone tell me which is the better made guitar please?

2. JustinR

JustinR TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Boston, MA, US
    Any info on the MK reels would be great. I had a Patriot a few years back and it was a good guitar. Their 1950s line looks good.

3. bbdowns124

bbdowns124 TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2017
    USA
    Pardon me for my ignorance but what do you mean by "reels"

Dismalhead and JustinR like this.

4. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    A Squier Classic vibe 50s would be a better choice than either one.

Dismalhead and xafinity like this.

5. bbdowns124

bbdowns124 TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2017
    USA

6. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2011
    South Florida
    Did you play them both? Without trying them My money would be on the G&L. But thats hard to answer objectively.

JD0x0 likes this.

7. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I've had both. The MK is set up very nicely and very smooth and easy to play. The downside is that the thing is a tank! It weighs significantly more than any other T-style I've had. Other than that, it's an overall fine machine.

I fell in love with the ASAT Tribute the moment I first played one. I was shocked a guitar that looks, plays, & feels that good is so inexpensive. It is put together very well and the MFD pickups give you a lot of output and tonal variety.

I eventually traded them in because I had my eye on an MIJ tele (that one over there <-----------). But if I had to choose between the 2, I would reach for the ASAT first.

Best of luck! Hope that helps a bit.

8. bbdowns124

bbdowns124 TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2017
    USA
    Thanks everyone for replying!

9. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    no, I'm not kidding. Search the reviews here, the Squier Classic Vibe is very well regarded here by members who have them and also own much more expensive telecasters. And they actually look like a telecaster. If you want 50s looks and classic tele sounds, try one out.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    dr_tom, Rich B in Tempe and tintag27 like this.

10. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Michael Kelly is really nice stuff. You can't go wrong with either choice, IMHO.

JustinR likes this.

11. JustinR

JustinR TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Boston, MA, US
    A terrible autocorrect I didn't catch.

12. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I've had 4 G&L Tributes and they are all very very nice. I'm sure the Michael Kelly's are good to as they are made in Korea. Squier Classic Vibes are good too.

13. R00STER

R00STER TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2016
    US
    You must be a politician lol jk

14. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    Ive bought & sold 2 CV 50's teles- danm fine chineese guitars! Problem is that thick as an elephants hide- finish-& that HEAVY BODY!! I took mine- upgraded everthing i could: much better, but it still had all that plastic-goop on the finger board!,pickups arent bad though!!

15. AdjustableReality

AdjustableReality TDPRI Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Singapore
    I have both: Michael Kelly and G&l ASAT Tribute. Both are great guitars. You can't go wrong with either.

16. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I am a G&L fan over the Classic Vibe that was mentioned. Have zero experience with Michael Kelly. If you get a G&l, make sure they have the MFD pickups. There are some with import pickups that are sold through Musicians Friend.

17. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    The Cort made pickups are made to the same specs as the USA G&L pickups, aka clones

18. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    This thread is of interest to me. This week I'll go to a Shop in a nearby town to check out the MK 1953's. The shop in my town has a used G&L not sure what year but it is USA, probably swamp ash. I checked it out briefly not long ago but couldn't get past all the little dings on the back of the neck plus the tag said $900.00. I did however like the feel of the neck, profile and all and should investigate what pups it has. Then it would be trying to decipher the difference besides origin any difference vs the import Tribute, which it does look like. Also have my assessments of the MK 1953
    So far leaning toward the Mk or G&L as they have a similar price range. As much as I want to throw the CV Squires in the fray I just can't get past
    the Heavy pine bodies and if they have the same skinny neck that the two Vintage modified's I've played while I did some pup upgrades for a friend not liking those necks.

19. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I did try some MK teles and posted those comments here and post #7
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/michael-kelly-1953-t-type.754765/
    Since the above post here #18 I did go back and play the G&L in the local shop and liked it a bit better than the first time and
    actually plugged in. The price is too high with little or no wiggle room compared to eBay or Reverb for a similar G&L so I took a chance and ordered a G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Butterscotch Blond which is an import so hoping it is somewhat close in playability. Due to land this coming Thursday and I'll report back

freddarl82 likes this.

20. R00STER

R00STER TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2016
    US
    Well, we're waiting...

TedKnightCaddyshack.gif

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.