Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Michael Kelly 1953 T -Type

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by whitecloud, Jul 30, 2017.

1. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Hi the other day I "discovered" These guitars and other models while searching for Tele's or T Type axes. the 153 specs are Alder body, flame maple top(will contact them for more info there) maple or rosewood boards(I am leaning maple) 10.5 radius modern C shape neck, Bone nut and I noticed they changed pickups after April of 2016 from a stacked bridge to regular SC's but on the 4th position bridge and neck are in series. It may be moot if a pup upgrade would be on the table. At around 400 bucks this model is in line price wise with the CV Squires which I am also considering so an added plus would be if anyone has compared the MK to the CV's. It seems the MK "Patriot" series has been out for some time and received favorably for a LP style guitars. I'd appreciate any comments on these MK axes so far most say solidly built and neck, frets and nut done well. They are nice looking and that's a plus but am looking for something that will get played and not just looked at.

2. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I had a 1953. It was very solidly built and sounded pretty nice. They are pretty heavy though, so keep that in mind. But they are on par as far as build quality to MIMs IMO.

3. willhowl

willhowl Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Houston Texas

4. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Thanks for the reply. Hopefully not as heavy as the 9 lbs+ Pine CV's. Most of my axes are 9-10 lbs and my Strat 7 something. I see I forgot to mention that after I came back from the local shop in town(they lost their Fender dealership) all they had was a beat up used G&L(USA) and they wanted way too much. So I went online to check another shop in a nearby town. They carry Michael Kelly and I did see two 1953's in stock with Rosewood fretboards I am leaning toward maple so I did chat on the phone the next day with one of their Tech's so ordering whatever I want is doable. Next up just go over there and probably bring one of my own amps. I'll be able to see how I like the feel of the neck, see how heavy it is. Then do a soundcheck. I'll report back when I get the opportunity to do this

5. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Thanks. Yeah I saw this one unfortunately cell phone audio quality. Then there's that Tone King guy. Why does he always max out the gain on any guitar. I don't know if you saw his demo of the older 1953 but it was painful. I haven't come across with the new pup setups(Quad MOD) and if it sounds great cool. If not I am handy with a soldering iron. When and if I get one I'll post a demo

6. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Just came across this one, model is a few steps up and different pickups/config, but I notice John saying "it's a light guitar" so huh. Not really into the rail pups though but there has to be some similarities with this one and the 1953 build wise

7. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Forgot to come back and offer my experience as I did check out a couple MK T-Types. One a 1953 the other the weight relief model "Enlightened Classic 50". The 1953 is pretty heavy in weight and the latter well pretty light. These guitars seem pretty well put together, when I first grabbed the 1953 to play it the high E string had flopped off the fretboard and I notice pretty high action for my taste so I handed it back to the sales rep and asked if he could remedy that. So then played the enlightened model and even though the radius is supposed to be 10.5" seemed flatter. By the time i got the 1953 back from him I had already concluded didn't like the feel of the neck and had moved on to trying some other models. a 1964 Super strat Floyd equipped compound radius, really like that one and also a Patriot LP Style axe with 12" radius, that felt good. So I did briefly play the 1953 and decided the MK Tele's aren't for me. But this is personal taste regarding feel of the neck. I am going to reply to another thread here re: G&L and next week should have a HGD BTW I have 2 different 80's Japanese Strat copies neck radius 9 and 9.5" and they feel very comfortable.

8. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

The necks of the MKs I've tried turned me off, too.
    They sure are pretty though.

haggardfan1 likes this.

9. RCSBlues

RCSBlues TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Amarillo, Texas
    IMG_0434.JPG Bought this new earlier this year - 1953 BJW Blue Jean Wash -

Plays very well and was quite affordable -

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    src9000 likes this.

10. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    This is the one I would of preferred over the other colors. Nice looking as was many of the other MK's at the local shop. Nothing wrong with the 1953's other than my preference of neck and how it feels. Since then have bought 2 G&L's. I do really like the MK 1964 they had also the Patriot series
    for some reason those necks felt more comfortable. sounds like your digging the 1953 and that's what counts

RCSBlues likes this.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

12. RCSBlues

RCSBlues TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Amarillo, Texas

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.