Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Micawber

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FredDairy, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I've done a search through the archives and couldn't find answers to some questions. Maybe no one knows but I've been watching clips of Keith tonight and have a few questions about Micawber.

1. Does anyone actually know when Keith acquired it?
    2. Has the year of the actual guitar even been made public?
    3. Have you or someone you've known held it? Is it really light or heavy like his '75 Custom.

I found this great video on youtube and it appears to be Micawber prior to the humbucker being added.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQr1H3Rn0kE

2. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 5, 2006
    Texas
    I believe it is a '53, but I don't know when he acquired it. In an interview for one of the guitar magazines Keith once said that Micawber was a heavy Tele (and with a chunky neck), though exactly how heavy I have no idea.

3. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Cool links guys. But did anyone notice that Johnny Starbuck calls a 50s blackguard "Malcom" while the blue lena sight calls the early 60s rosewood neck "Malcom"?

4. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    eastern n.c.
    :eek: Wow! Look at all those cool old guitars!!!! :eek:

5. dukeastaire

dukeastaire TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Minnesota
    All right kids here we go.

So, Micawber is a 1953 Blackguard that was a gift from Eric Clapton. He had it for at Nellcote, during the recording of Exile on Main Street so that's during the summer of 1972. Micawber started it's life looking like this [/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Then the Gibson PAF was added to the neck and looked like this. Micawber still had the 3 Barrel Brass bridge, the Kluson tuners and is now sporting a white Stratocaster switch tip.
    [​IMG]

By 1981, Micawber had gotten a new Brass Schecter bridge, Sperzel tuners and Dunlop Straplocks.

Malcolm is his Natural finished Blackguard that has that really great looking open grain and looks like this.[​IMG]

The 60's Tele on Lena's site is just an oddly placed photo. Malcolm is definitely the Natural finished Blackguard.

6. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    I can't remember hearing about that before - where did you catch that?

hmm, I actually posted those Johnny Starbuck clips.
    Rock'nRoll Shaman just joined the 5 clips it seems. :twisted:

Blackguard Bob who is, or was a member here actually held it backstage and I think it's very lightwheight as I recall.
    This is a picture Blackguard Bob took.

[​IMG]

7. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Orcas Island, Washington
    Is that Gram Parsons in that Nellcote pic?

Whew....

8. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Chicago
    The guitars have aged better than Keith.

9. chrispscott

chrispscott Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Yep with Anita Pallenberg to Keith's left. Damn I would have loved to have been there. Amazing falling apart French villa with Keef, Gram and gorgeous models.

10. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    if you look closely... it looks like he's tearing off the E string

bw

11. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    yes, he eats them before he goes onstage :lol:

err, what?

12. dukeastaire

dukeastaire TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yes, that is Gram and Gretchen Parsons. All of Keith's Open-G tuned telecasters have the E string as well as the saddle removed. If I recall correctly, it was captioned in Dominique Tarle's fantastic book, Exile. The Clapton thing was also mentioned in the June 2003 issue of Guitar World where Mick, Keith and Mick Taylor reminisced about the making of Exile On Main St.

13. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I had never heard the Clapton story either... interesting.

Anyone know how to get a hod of Blackguard Bob?

14. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany

15. Rich H

Rich H Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Here I am.

I am Blackguard Bob - or rather I was.

I was told Micawber is a '53.

It doesn't have a serial number and the bridge pickup isn't a Tele pickup - it's an old lapsteel pickup mounted with only 2 screws.

The control knobs, switch tip and strap buttons are changed and over the years it's had various refrets and different sets of tuners installed.

The 17th fret marker fell out during a show in Glasgow in 2003 and I still have the strings that were on the guitar from that show.

It's not a heavy guitar from what I can remember.

Here's some pictures I've taken on various occasions I've hung out in Stones guitar world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Hiya Rich,

since you didn't mention the Clapton story I presume you haven't heard of it either...or?

17. dukeastaire

dukeastaire TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Minnesota
    Just passing along some info kids, When I read the caption it was the first I'd ever heard of it. It was 2002, not 2003. Creed is on the cover for those who might own the issue.

18. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.