Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MI Audio Down Under Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Obsessed, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    After all this time, no MI Audio club?!

I'll start off with my Blues Pro. Love it and get just enough fuzz from the toggle to make me happy. It is the most expensive pedal I've purchased (I'm an eBay cheapo trawler and usually buy used) and I can easily tell the difference with the quality of the pots compared to all of my other pedals. Stacks well with my Vox V810 OD.

Must be a few Crunch Box/Blues Boy owners out there. Come on in and share your thoughts!

2. mattyboy

mattyboy Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2009
    ohio
    I have a Crunch Box. Great distortion pedal! It's a bit of a one trick pony for those heavy 70s / 80s Marshall tones, but it delivers that trick very well.

Sounds great with my strat & tele.

3. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2003
    Manila
    Had a Blues Pro and a Blue Boy Deluxe, which I found difficult to dial in.... I'm now much happier with a Super Blues Pro as it is so versatile.

4. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Hey mattyboy and vegetablejoe, welcome to the club!

Yeah, when I eventually need a Marshall sound the Crunch Box is where I'm going. What amp are you running that through?

I want to know what you like most about the new Super Blues Pro? It seems amazing to me that it can be better the the "old" Blues Pro.

5. Tronc the cube

Tronc the cube Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2013
    North Queensland
    Blues boy. I just need a hint of grit without fizz or compression. this is a marvel.

6. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2010
    SCS, MI
    I've had Crunch Box (which was decent for higher gain), Blues Pro w/toggle (good for hairier OD), and original Blue Boy (great for smooter OD). The Blue Boy was the one that worked best for me, and I preferred the original to the BB Deluxe. Ultimately found another pedal in the same arena that I liked a little better and no longer have any MI Audio. Still, great values and solid pedals.

7. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2003
    Manila
    I'm sorry I can't put it any better than what the MI Audio website says:

http://miaudio.com/effects/super-blues-pro/

In essence it is now more like the Fulltone Mosfet FD2 to me, but in a smaller package... it can do vintage TS, flat mids, open and uncompressed. And somehow the mosfet setting gives a tone that is their approximation of a Zendrive or other similar Dumble-in-a-pedal (which is acceptable to my ears vs. my Ethos, Pearl Drive, Jetter GSR, and Small Fry). And it now does 2-3 slightly different shades of light fuzzy od.

It's my "Swiss Army Knife" of pedals, and like it a lot for rhythm. I cascade it into my GSR for really fat leads.

leonard d rock likes this.

8. sam76

sam76 Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2013
    Australia
    Just found the club guys. I'm in with a Neo Fuzz. Awesome retro yet super versatile pedal.
    I have a question I hope someone can answer tho - I've opened it up to look for the trim pot to gI've it more gain, but can't find one. MI Audio never got back to me about it.
    Do I have to remove the PCBs/turn them over? I have no idea how to go about that.
    A touch more gain on this and it would be perfection.
    Hope someone can help out.

9. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    I love Michael's work, the man is an electronics guru .

I've known him for over 20 years since he was making his pedals in his garage and I'm lucky enough to own the first BlueBoy prototype, It's totally different to the one that went into production, it's got more gain than I'll ever need, It's a beauty

I had a Super Blues Pro but it wasn't getting used so I passed it on,

Great pedals at a great price , Michael Ibraham ROCKS

acevh63 likes this.

10. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody TDPRI Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Metro Detroit, MI
    I have a crunch box and boost n buff on my board
    Have a blue boy deluxe in my reserves lol

11. mattyboy

mattyboy Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2009
    ohio
    Sorry for the late reply, but at the moment I run my crunch box through a Vox Pathfinder 15r. Takes pedals very well for a little Solid state.

12. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

Love my Crunch Box. Marshall in a pedal. :cool:

Attached Files:

13. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    It does seem like the Crunch Box is becoming the definitive "Marshall in a Box" pedal.

14. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

This is the one MI Audio pedal I owned, and yes, if you post "Marshall in a Box" on a forum, the #1 response will usually be the Crunch Box. Of course, there are many different types of Marshall amps, and what the Crunch Box really nails is that JCM-800/900 lead tone. It doesn't have a huge low end for rhythm, but if you're on an amp that already has the balls, it sounds great. I appreciated it over other pretenders (like the BOSS Power Stack) because it had a great voicing - so many other Marshall imitators have that "cocked wah pedal" sound that annoys me to no end.

Ended up selling it (didn't use it enough to justify ownership), so I'll excuse myself from the club now :) But it's a great pedal. Really wanted to try the Blues one too, but there's a lot of options in that arena for less money.

15. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

These pedals are the business..

Started with a version 2 of Blues Pro - just sensational..then added the Crunch Box (not sure which version, probably about a 2 as well) then I picked up a Super Blues Pro..Only thing I find is that there are SOOOO many sounds on it, it's hard to remember the settings of toggle switches, trim pots etc when you are trying to make quick changes in between songs..ah but if that's my only complaint I'm doing ok!
    Seriously great pedals..

16. unclefred

unclefred Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2014
    Oregon
    Crunch box and Blues Pro on my board. I can get all ranges of od to marshall crunch. For a more open, less middy tone, I use the OD-3. The Pro is also great for goosing other pedals.

17. bla99ard

bla99ard TDPRI Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Cairns
    Super Crunch Box. Only want to nail Ramones guitar tone and it does it easily.

18. lopper

lopper NEW MEMBER!

Jun 28, 2015
    Brisbane, Qld
    I bought a lo-fi delay for $160. Should turn up on tuesday. Can't wait.

19. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2007
    Virginia
    I recently put a Blue Boy Deluxe (small box) back on my board. I could never figure out how to dial it in, but after doing a lot of searching in forums, found some settings that were a good starting point. It's now my lead sound pedal, after a Timmy set for mild drive. I'm finally getting that fat-but-cuts-through sound I've been looking for.

Are there other drive pedals that could work as well or even better? Probably, but I'm happy with the sound, and being able to tweak the mids easily makes a huge difference from venue to venue.

20. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Jan 31, 2005
    Wagenberg, Holland

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.