Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mex Tex

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Sjnoring, May 19, 2017.

1. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I'd really like a set of Tex Mexes to upgrade my Squier but I play lefty. I know this would make the poles backwards, but has anyone ever tried this, or have some idea what it would sound like?

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I have Tex Mex pups in my Jimicaster (installed so the poles are backwards) - I would love to be able to describe the difference, but I really don't perceive one (perhaps I am not tonally sophisticated enough?)

I think they will sound like Tex Mex pups (a good thing, IMHO) - backwards or forwards :)

3. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Yeah I have bilateral hearing loss anyway so I sure wouldn't be able to tell

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

So is that why your title is mex tex ?? As that's what a lefthander tex mex would be ??

:p

Sjnoring likes this.

5. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Yes this will be a Squier modded with Mex Texs.

6. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    The Tex Mex pickups have plastic bobbins and you can push the poles to any configuration you want. Poles are just held in a plastic sleeve by friction and wax. Heat up with a blow dryer and use a dowel to push them. Best to do before installing them. I made mine all flush.

Cat MacKinnon likes this.

7. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    I did that on my Jimmie Vaughan sig Strat a long time ago. I think it was either the B or G string that was obnoxiously loud, and I simply pushed the pole down on all three pickups, which worked great. They don't need to be heated up (and in fact that might not be a great idea, depending on what OP would use): I simply used a wooden dowel to careful push down on the pole pieces.

The important thing to remember is to not try to push the polepieces while the pickups are unsupported! If you try to do it while they're still mounted in the guitar, you're likely to break off the tabs where the mounting screws are. Put something solid under the pickup to support the entire bottom of it (you may need to rig something up so the polepieces can still have room to move down, like drill a hole in a piece of scrap wood and put the pickup on top of that.) They'll be fairly snug, but you'll feel it give right before it moves; once you do one, you'll get a feel for how much pressure you need.

8. sjtalon

Good advice Cat, I use these for a lot of press in/out jobs (bearings, pins, ect.,.):

[​IMG]

9. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California

Agreed. I removed the pickguard, cut wood blocks into fit in the pickup cavities, and let the pickups rest on those as I pushed. The poles are all the same length, so drilling holes in the block wasn't necessary. When the top of all the poles are flush with the top, they're flush with the bottom too. I just used a low wattage hair dryer to warm the wax a bit

10. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Great advice about the poles, thanks. I'll see if the backwards Jimi routine works, if not then good to know I can tweak them.

11. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Ok what about width wise? I'm changing the bridge and nut which may slightly alter the string spacing, so the strings may not be dead center over the poles. How much does that matter?

12. sjtalon

No big deal, it's common for them not to be perfect sometimes. You are still in the field if off a tad from center. Height adjustments can compensate.

Cat MacKinnon likes this.

13. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    You would have something closer to a Jimi Hendrix sound I would assume. The poles are staggered because of the radius of the neck/strings and also some of the strings vibrate differently do to their diameter.

So your A string will be more mellow sounding while your B string is going to have a bit more bite and twang to it than your average strat. It wont be a bad sound.

14. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    It doesn't matter too much. Most pickups actually work fine with most string spacings as long as the string is over the pole (whether it's centered or not.) The thing with F-spaced pickups is mostly just cosmetic, because narrow Gibson-spaced humbuckers can look kinda weird under a standard (slightly wider) Fender spacing. It usually sounds the same though, because the magnetic field forms sort of a "bubble" around the pole, not just a narrow field right in the middle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.