Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Metallic guitar.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by willdubiel, Sep 5, 2016.

1. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    So I'm building another "clearance bin" kit guitar.
    After spending the time and effort getting my first budget kit build up to par (and loving it) I'm going to try another. This one is a strat style so I'm thinking of something along the lines of my favorite strat: Robbie robertson's bronzed strat that he played during the last waltz.
    The challenge will be finishing to look metallic without typical metallic flake paint. I'm thinking something like gilded picture frame or silver metallic furniture you wee on Pinterest. I think really dipping in bronze is a bad idea unless you're already a famous guitar legend and can spare a pre-cbs strat.
    Does anyone have good advice for metallic finish? I work with an expert faux finish painter who might have some advice. I'll check with him this week. Haven't been able to find much on "real" metal finish for wood. Here are a couple detail pics of Robbie's strat from the Internet. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    I like the idea. Hobby stores will have spray paint that should do what you want, it doesn't look like flakes, at least the copper/bronze one I have used for a non-guitar project.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I'm thinking a thick coat of copper with a thin coat of chrome paint over it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Dupli-color Metalcast has some different colored anodized paint.

6. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    Here is an option. Make sure to smooth out and grain fill to get it really smooth.

7. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    This could also be fun. I would seal it with a few coats of clear lacquer.

8. loopy reed

loopy reed Tele-Afflicted

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN

9. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, i've looked at that stuff for other non-guitar projects. I don't think vinyl film will have the right "feel" that's my only concern with that. Would be something else to turn my old volvo into a copper car!

10. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I guess with both the leaf (don't love the look) and the dry powder, i'd want to clear coat it in with something. i think i'll test a few methods. starting with paints/powder i find at home depot or the craft store.

11. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Conductive paint + plating kit. Look at Caswell's stuff.

12. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I approve the Copper Volvo project. Keep us updated.

13. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Clearance bin mahogany strat arrived today. Knots as expected per purchase agreement but it has a big crack that they didn't mention. Also missing the pickguard and all of the electronics. I'll take it up with them on Monday but for now, I'm thinking that the super thin crazy glue is the right thing to steep into the crack if I end up repairing it on my own. [​IMG]

14. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Fixed the crack. I had never used super thin Cyano(...whatever) glue before, so I masked off the crack, and worked the glue in by pulling the body and moving the crack while i applied the glue. It was crazy how much crazy glue was sucked into the wood. Sanded it clean. looks fine. Now to layout the body. I'll have to re-rout some of the pickup cavities and a new pickguard. I'm messing with the pickups. I want the double single coil, or whatever it is Robbie has on his strat... I'm still researching what he did here. There's some info on a fender blog about a push pull knob switching the phase of the new bridge pickup to make it a humbucker. but they also note that his first modification used a 3 way switch, which was standard on pre-70s strats.

I'm wondering... what would happen if I just mount the mid pickup tight up to the bridge pickup. With my 5-way switch in position2, that would make it a humbucking pickup, no? Also, i think ill have to flip the mid pickup around, so that they can seat next to eachother. Which brings up another question.. how to confimm the mid pickup i have is reverse wound-reverse polarity, and do those proterties remain the same if i simply turn it around backwards?

Now I'm wishing i had a junk guitar to do some tests on. I hope that's not what this Metallic project guitar turns into.

15. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    In order for it to really function as a humbucker, you'll have to wire the middle and bridge pickup together in series, and the mid pickup has to be RW/RP for the hum to go away.

I'm sure someone here has some advice for determining whether or not the middle pickup is RW/RP, but I can at least confirm that it will retain those properties if it is flipped around to fit next to the bridge pickup. The current is still traveling the same direction, so nothing really changes.

If you use your 5 way switch in position 2 you'll basically have a parallel humbucker. Cool sound, slightly less output than a regular humbucker, but brighter.

I'm interested to learn what you find out about Robbie's wiring on this guitar. From what I've read, he only had that middle pickup moved to get it out of the way, but I don't know what else was going on electronically.

16. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the feedback loopy. What you say is in line with other info I've found. from several years ago on a fender blog:
    "The rear knob on Robbie's guitar is a push/pull. If it is in the up position the pickups work like a normal Strat would. Now if the middle pickup is RWRP and it is wired in Series with the Bridge pickup it becomes in essence a Humbucker. So, if the push/pull is in the down position it kicks in the Humbucker."

One of the forum participants did the push pull knob with the 5 way switch which opens up a bunch of other pickup combinations.

17. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Ordered my custom pickguard today from warmoth.
    Since it would be pretty expensive to have a full custom one cut, I went with warmoth's online pickguard configurator. strat shape (hope it fits.... if not I can trim it a bit.)
    strat neck pickup. No mid pickup. strat bridge pickup. I'll cut the new "mid" myself. classic 8-hole mounting. [​IMG]

18. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Also chiseled out part of the body today to make room for my double-ish bridge pickup. Still thinking out wiring. My gut says to just install the mid backwards and see how it sounds. Make adjustments from there. I mean that's probably what robbie did in the first place.

Don't have much experience with a chisel but felt pretty confident and was pleased with the result (after sanding out some errant chisel scratches in the cavity). [​IMG]

loopy reed likes this.

19. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Routed the additional pickup, modified neck cut-out and countersunk pickup mounting holes which hadn't come pre-ctsk. Mounted pickups and pots and switch (used all the original stuff from the kit since I am impressed with the electronics that came wii my last kit). Figured I'll mess with that mid pickup and it's wiring but I'll try it first just in it's new position flipped 180 to nest with the bridge pickup. [​IMG]

loopy reed likes this.

20. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

May 19, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Update. The guitar has been finished for some time now. I have just been away from tdpri. I didn't do metallic. Just further perfected my stain and tru oil technique. Figured if down the road, I want to bronze it, then I can do that whenever.
    I read a recent interview with Robbie Robertson and he explained the pickup wiring was tried a bunch of different ways, the simplest being just moving the mid back and leaving the wiring as is. So that's how it is right now. I like it. Some interesting tones. What's surprising is that when the bridge only is selected, I get some noise from touching the magnets in the mid pickup and vice versa if mid only is selected (noise...like it's on... not feedback or anything) so there may be some weirdness with the two pickups so close together, or maybe I messed up the wiring a little. Who knows. But each position on my 5 way switch is a cool unique tone, none too hollow and tinny. Sounds awesome. Looks awesome. I'm happy. IMG_2627.JPG IMG_2628.JPG IMG_2629.JPG

h2odog and Vespa_One like this.

21. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic

May 31, 2014
    austin
    Check out modern masters metallic paints. Comes in 6 oz bottles and they have tons of colors. I am in the process of using a dark metallic blue. I am trying to thin it enough to shoot it through a harbor freight airless turbine. Getting close to getting it right.
    You can also use a foam brush, but it shows brush marks.

willdubiel likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.