My wife bought me a National Style O guitar many years ago for my birthday and for some stupid reason I sold it. I want another one so... how hard could it be. I'm going to prototype one out of aluminum which should help me develop all the templates and jigs so I can make steel ones and hopefully brass ones. The National Style O is brass, eventually I would like to try brass. Here's my sheet of aluminum. 5052-H32 grade which is easily machined and welded. I have no idea how to make one of these so you'll see some failures here. There isn't much info online about the construction of one of these. I started in CAD. The Style O I had was a 12 fret version but I always wished it was a 14 fret version. Meaning the neck meets the body at the 14th fret instead of the 12th. I think the only 14 fret versions are from the 30's unless someone is reproducing them these days. So here's my 14 fret drawing. Not sure why I did such a lousy job screen capturing that... anyway. I decided to start by making the sound well, which is a bottomless bowl that the resonator cone sits in, looks like this (not my guitar). I cut out the ring which makes the bottom edge first. And who doesn't like a sideways picture? Then I made a wood form to bend the sides of the soundwell around. And drilled some holes part way thru it for clamps. Think RogerC gave me this idea on something else #gamechanger My plan was to simply wrap the aluminum strip around it and weld it together at the seam. I'm using really thick aluminum here because I had it laying around. That was a massive struggle. It had an element of danger to it because of the tension the thing was under. I was worried one of those cheap clamps would break and hurt me. After fighting it all the way around the form it just sprung back to twice the size as the form. It was an entire day of bending wasted. So I made a smaller form hoping overbending it would let it spring back closer to the correct size. That failed also. I managed to get it round and not spring back but when I applied heat to braze it together it just went all wonky. FAIL!