metal guitar with a vibrato please ?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by johnny k, Jan 11, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

There are probably some people in here with good advice as to what kind of guitar would be good to play abit of metal, with a vibrato which would enable me to do some wonky sounds and stay in tune.

I don t know anything about vibratos, except that floyd rose seems to be good but a pain when you change strings.

Any advice ?
    Thank you, come again.

2. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you're looking for a new one, check out Ibanez line. Most of their guitars have been geared towards metal market for decades now.

johnny k likes this.
  3. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Schecter is a good option too.
    Or ESP/LTD.
    Also check the Ola Englund's Solar brand. (originally, there was a Washburn Ola's signature model, but now it's an independent brand).

johnny k likes this.
  4. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Depends a bit on what you are going after and what price range we are talking about. I like the Schecter Hellraiser, which you can get with a Floyd Rose (there are plenty of options, 6, 7, 8 strings). Ibanez makes some good locking trems (e.g. Ibanez Edge) as well. In general try to steer clear of most licensed FR stuff, as the materials are often not strong enough to keep from dulling too fast. Locking tremolos in general are somewhat of a pain, but if you keep with one type of strings and one tuning it's not so bad.

Best regards
    Johannes

/* edit: Finck was faster with the Schecter suggestion. And yes, Solar seems to be a popular choice at the moment as well. */

/* edit2: I see that you are located in France. If you are looking for something a bit more unique, check out Devil's Choice in Neuss, Germany. They build very nice custom metal axes. */

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    johnny k likes this.
  5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

johnny k likes this.
  6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

My PRS Tremonti SE has a whammy - and Tremonti is as "metal" as it gets.

johnny k likes this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

I've never had a Floyd Rose guitar, but from what I've heard it seems to be easier to change the strings than on a strat.

There's a bunch of new Jacksons, I think Indonesian. Never played one, only played the older Indian ones with the through-body strings and no vibrato.

johnny k likes this.
  8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

My question was more about the vibrato thingie. Floyd rose on blades, kahler, or the one from vigier maybe... Some seem a bit easier to manipulate, without running the risk of ruining your guitar if you change the strings height without tuning the springs like on a floyd.

9. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I hate them floating bridges. It's a pain to change strings and it's hard to hit that note when bending or make those 2 notes meet (forgot what it's called). My guitars that used to have one just ended up being blocked.

However, I am happy with my guitar equipped with a Wilkinson V series matched with locking tuners and teflon impregnated nut.

[​IMG]

johnny k likes this.
  11. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

We have a few newer Jackson soloists at my work and they're definitely pretty nice. I've abused the bar on both of them and they stay in tune just fine. They're your typical super Strat if that's what you're looking for. I've been eyeing the Charvel San Dimas myself. I love having the Floyd rose for metal, but I definitely dislike restringing them. Setup right though they'll definitely stay in tune. In the past I've had a Jackson Rhoads, Jackson Kelly, BC Rich Warlock, Dean ML, and nowadays I play a Jazzmaster, Tele, and a Duesenberg. Haha.

johnny k likes this.
  12. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Even when the guitar comes with a licensed Floyd (which I agree that it's not as durable), it can be changed by the real stuff easily later, since at least the measurements will be equivalent. The idea of buy a guitar with a non standard tremolo system scares me a bit, because I'm not sure the parts will be easily available when a maintenance be required.

johnny k likes this.
  13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Ibanez with Floyd Rose japan made....the vibrato is so easy on that set up..if you are thinking bigsby style ....check out Neil Giraldo ..Pat Benatar husband..that semi screams.

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Not really the guitar that matters. It's the player and what they are comfortable playing though the right amp and effects, that will have more impact than the guitar type. Trems: again it matter more about what you are more comfortable playing. People complain about this or that because it didn't work for them, doesn't mean you can't do wonders with it. Go to a guitar shop and pick up a bunch of guitars and try them out on your own.

Finck and johnny k like this.
  15. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I was thinking about getting a 2nd hand guitar. But that s probably what i ll end up doing.

Another question, a floating bridge is the floyd rose bridge right ? where you ve got to balance the tension between the bridge, the springs, and the strings.

I think i ve had fixed bridges before, 1 on a squier mustang, one on a fender mustang, and one of a cheap starsun guitar if i remember correctly.

The problem was that even with light use, the guitars would go out of tune quickly. And i don t mean crazy uses, just a bit of Shadows wobble.

Thanks for the answers though.

I m also wondering about the maintenance of a floyd rose. Is it durable ? What s the best i can expect from a floyd rose timewise ? Or a licensed floyd rose ?

16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Ah ! i m going the other way round ! Fenders, then a bit of Dean ML and inferno V / bc rich warlock and son of a beast and now wondering about what s the next wacky buy will be.

17. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Haha. Nice. I think if I was going to go for another odd shaped guitar for metal stuff I'd snag a BC Rich Ironbird. I've seen Morbid Angel a few times where they were all using Ironbirds.

Macrogats and johnny k like this.
  18. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan Tele-Meister

I got a Charvel with a floyd for when I need that type of sound. I played a Schecter Hellraiser and it was just too muddy for me.

johnny k likes this.
  19. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Is the wilkinson vibrato as good as a floyd rose in terms of use ? I might want to go down as low as possible then back up and still be in tune. And are there any factory guitars with a Wilkinson ?

20. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.