Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mesa Mark V:25 owners attention: Dumble tone hidden in there

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by homesick345, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm not even so sure about that 5-10% being inherent or specific to those amps. There are a number of variables. Speakers, guitars, pickups, and most importantly that no two Dumble amps sound exactly the same, as they are all customized to the user.

homesick345 likes this.

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Definitely

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2004
    Okay, gave it another shot and it's much more in the neighborhood. Not sure if I missed a setting or if it was just one of those days where my ears were different, but I can hear it now. I have the combo so I have less low end, so that took a tweak or two.

Pretty slick!

I think Mesa is undermarketing the flexibility of this amp. Seems like they target the heavier rock crowd with it but it's capable of SO much more. I think it would appeal to a much broader range of players if Mesa really featured some of its lower gain tones and not just the scooped "V" eq settings at high gain....which apparently also require the player to dress in black, grimace angrily, and wear wristbands :D (and okay, I'll admit that I like some of those tones too). The Clean and Fat setting of channel 1 alone are phenomenal on their own and as pedal platforms. I've found a lot of very nice lower gain tones on channel 2.

homesick345 likes this.

4. notabot

notabot TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Way out back...
    Just got done playing around with these settings on my V:35. My neighbors are all around so I can't get it louder but I like what I'm hearing so far!

Thanks!

homesick345 likes this.

5. larriveeman

larriveeman NEW MEMBER!

Mar 19, 2011
    USA
    any settings for a marshall type overdrive?......by the way the mark 5:25 is awesome...I'm running it with a mini rectifier straight 1x12 cab

6. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    yes definitely. dead-effing-on

I think I posted that somewhere - lemme see

7. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    listen

you in channel one on crunch right?

we wanna mimick the Marshall tone stack so you drive the mids to full

you know why? this takes the tone stak (pre gain) completely off. By relying on your eq (post gain) ; you have effectively a Marshall/plexi type pre amp gain/toner structure, which is super cool (unlike the fender bf stack ; which is pre gain. Yes, this is a big deal)

We are modelling with no digital artifacts!

I set the the gain & presence around 11am; the eq sliders to taste - 1st & last sliders boosted around 2/3 - the rest depending on your guitar pickups)

An always good benchmark of Marshall tones is the "crunched-glass" sound; bright but not fizzy, not too much mids - just enough bass

lemme know if this helps

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Jim Dep likes this.

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    Great info ! What pickups are you using in your tele and strat ?

9. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    all my guitars are vintage type output basically

I like bright focused pickups - no hot stuff for me

Jim Dep likes this.

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    Same here, especially for the single coil guitars; strat / tele. The same holds true for a modeling amp IMHO, so that the intended characteristic of the amp will come through, rather than the guitar sounding the same, more or less with different amps.

11. notabot

notabot TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Way out back...
    I'm runing Ch 1, Crunch, 35w and EQ like this:
    [​IMG]
    Does this look like what you were trying to say?

12. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Yup

Should have lots of gain btw; because of hte tone stack bypass/boost. I set the gain knob anywhere from 9:00 to 12:00, depending on mood & guitar (for eq sliders, I tinker a lot)

At 9 with P90 gives an excellent cranked tweed tone also

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018

13. notabot

notabot TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Way out back...
    Excellent... Just a note, it does sound very healthy with the type of gain you describe above... :D

14. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    it's an incredible little amp

15. notyalcer

notyalcer Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2005
    Resurrecting this thread to ask the OP if you could describe the Marshall settings you are on to. I just got the big Mark and look forward to trying out your D settings! Thanks.

16. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I said it before , amp is interesting cause it lets you MODEL the Marshall stack

Contrary to bf fenders; Marshall tone stack is post gain stages

In Channel 1; Crunch mode; turn the mid to full. THis takes out the bf-style completely out of the equation. You rely on your eq sliders - so yo have basically a plexi type circuit & tone stack

Gain around 10-11 AM; presence around noon,

Eq sliders I like to boost 2nd & 4th; & suck out the middles in the mid slider

NB: THe Mini Mark has that mid / raw button feature in channel 1; where after 12am; the mid button turns into a RAW button gradually suckling out the T-M-B .

17. notyalcer

notyalcer Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2005
    Thanks! I will try it out.

18. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    My God this thread is fueling my Mesa Mark V:25 GAS. :(

homesick345 likes this.

19. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Bought one on Reverb today. Woohoo! Is there a MV25 club?

homesick345 likes this.

20. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    No. But you can consider me its President.

RiverDog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.