Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mesa Mark V:25 owners attention: Dumble tone hidden in there

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by homesick345, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I value your opinions regarding Dumbles, and would like to hear what it is you are hearing. I'm very bad myself and (not) posting many sound clips. Too many steps.

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Hi Larry - I also value your opinion.

I will really try to record & post the soundfile within a week

3. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2014
    germany
    By the way, setting the TMB-EQ like that makes it as flat as it can get... the M-Pot will act something like an aditional "preamp gain"... but even when maxing out the M-Pot the gain will be lower than a EQ typical setting... and that is counteracted by the "extreme" channel.

4. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    Does that mean that "Dumble tone" is close to flat EQ response, so to say?

5. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2014
    germany
    Well, the graphic 5 band is in use and is everything but flat... I'm just a little bit surprised to see the the middle band that low... but if it sound like the D, it is the D!

And don't forget that every amp also has some hardwired frequency filters... you need to limit bandwidth..

6. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Hi Anthony, OP here. Your remarks are true. Don't forget that in the configuration, the middle pot is now literally a second gain knob, in an already gainy/middy channel. Hence the 5 band correcting, and trying to suck back mids.

When aiming at the D tones, a common mistake or negative side effect, is that you end up with "Santana" tone, if you see what I mean... And that's not the D i love (geeze if an outsider is reading this!! )

The D we all love is note bloom at moderate saturation, on-the-verge of..

Larry F likes this.

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    It'd be a little flatter if mids were 100% dimed. Some stacks will still 'scoop' a little with the T and B backed down, if the mids aren't dimed, depending on the mid pot value. I think in Mesa's they tend to be 10k-15k which isn't very large. (you need to set the control higher)
    Depends how you set your Dumble. The have a much more tweakable tonestack than most amps. The 250k mid pot gives you a lot more mids on tap than many designs, and yes it's quite easy to dial in a Dumble flat with minimal gain loss (in actuality you can use the PAB and bypass the tonestack all together, should be very flat with a lot more gain)

Dumble's tend to have a lot of midrange content but it's not hard to dial in a bigger 'scoop' if you want it. (Listen to Mayer's amp)

8. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    Listen to him, my Dumble... :)
    Just joking, thanks for the explanation.

9. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2014
    germany
    I think the secret in the D is that the 200hz to 400hz is kind of the tonal reference point... dial back the 600hz - 800hz so that it is still massiv but opens up the natural compression to allow the desired bloom when comparing to 200hz to 400hz. Than add the 1khz to almost 2khz so that you cut enough... and finally dial back the higher frequencies to get enough grit without ever getting icy picky, aka, smooth the topend :D

And this tonal description is basically what the 5-band setting from the OP is telling... i think at least :D

Damn... why are there no more D's the bay? :D

kaludjerko likes this.

10. Larry F

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I am completely with you on this. I don't care for the smooth-fusion sound. It is not easy to find your personal OD sweet spot. If I sound like I'm playing American Woman, then I know I've gone too far.

homesick345 likes this.

11. Mikecito

Mikecito TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    It's sounds great on my 35 at low volume. I'm looking forward to hearing it with the band this weekend with all the tubes working.. I found switching to Mark IV mode got me to Santana zone in a cool way too. Good stuff!

homesick345 likes this.

12. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2004
    Hmm. Tried this on my Mark V 35 and I'm not hearing "D" tone. It's not a bad tone on it's own and it's an interesting study in how to use the Extreme channel with some unconventional EQ to get into some new territory, but I'm not hearing anything remotely similar to a Robben Ford tone with these settings. To each their own I guess, and chalk it up to differences in our Teles too :)

13. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    THe settings / touch on guitar are very sensitive. Micro adjust the presence / gain / mids & you should be there.

Played along robben ford & a tele on my stereo; & it was almost dead-on.

Then again; I had my share of D pedals/replicas that others could have sound dead-on; while my playing & my touch had nothing to to with D

Be patient; & micro-adjust sliders & gain/mid/presence. There SHOULDN'T be a reason why not; if you think about it. Speaker plays a part as well.

Also; some don't sound like D on a real D. (starting with me - it took me years; & still not natural)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Ignatius and telemnemonics like this.

14. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Deleted.

spauldingrules likes this.

15. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    BTW I redid a session with the settings - with a Strat this time. (A guitar not associated usually with the ODS)

Had to readjust quite a bit; the general philosophy remaining the same

And yes; even with the Strat; It was Dumble tone & feel alright - not just a little bit

(PS: Cab is a homemade 212 with a mix of WGS & Celestion; oval back - this helps)

16. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Hey Larry I made this track with my Strat; direct to Mini Mesa using my settings - (slightly adjusted for Strat).

Trying for Robben Ford live sounds (a bit heavier)...except for my $%#tty playing :(

Recorded with my LG cell phone, with a live backing track from the stereo (at home volume level. No pedals; no mastering no nothing).

This is straight from my phone to soundcould

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

17. Larry F

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    This is some really beautiful playing. Great note choices and phrasing, and the amp sounds fantastic. It would be something that I could get into, I think.

homesick345 likes this.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    My brain would never let me set a graphic like that.
    But it tells me lots of lies, wish I had a V25 to try this on!
    Might be time to sell a whole bunch of gear...

Sounds nice!

homesick345 likes this.

19. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    So what this is telling us is that the much vaunted Dumble sound can be had by a number of other means. We're dealing with frequencies, and as long as you have the means to manipulate the right frequencies the right way, you can have that sound. Other amps, pedals, EQ's and the like can get you there, if used intelligently and skillfully.

homesick345 likes this.

20. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Of course; I totally agree. There will always be the last 5-10% that are specific to the Dumble amp; that nothing could replicate; but I guess we can live with that - & as they say; "nobody will notice anyway"

Think of the Dumble thing like "Fender clean" or Marshall grind. Indeed; countless ways could be thought-of to get there; from a Peavey Bandit to a Rat pedal.

Dumble is no different; & this is all to his honor: he created a TONE; a SOUND to chase - there is no way around it. And this is the ultimate success for any amp builder (that very few achieved)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.