Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mesa Mark V:25 owners attention: Dumble tone hidden in there

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by homesick345, Oct 22, 2016.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I unlocked a fantastic, dead-on, Overdrive Special D* tone, on the mini Mark V second channel - note bloom & all... (using nothing but guitar & cable)

If anybody interested let me know

It's official: this amp has it all; it's THE modeller killer

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    kaludjerko likes this.

2. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Tell it brother!

3. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Uh I don't have the Mark V ( yet :p ) I'm interested in this, I bet other members do too, would be great having a pic of the settings posted and a clip too !

cheers

4. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    [​IMG]

• Channel two - EXTREME setting. Low watts (10watt; at home)
    • Notice the also extreme eq (TMB) setting - no, it's not a mistake :)
    • Eq is always on - just like the sliders in the pic
    • Gain is shy of 50% - the whole idea is not too much gain
    • Mids management is crucial: interaction between M knob & middle slider on the eq

Now you are allowed to play with the presence a bit (you can take it up , but barely); & also micro adjust the sliders of the eq to meet your touch, how you want your D sound etc...

Enjoy - & tell me what you think!!

Dann B and brogh like this.

5. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2008
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Would it be too much to ask for a soundbite? I sold a Mk V:25 in part because I couldn't get a good Robben Ford tone out of it. If the D tone is really in there I'd like to know how hard to kick myself for selling the amp

6. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I'm really no tech savvy to upload a soundfile now

Just to help you out, Please note that I have my share of Dumble clones & pedals, including Fuchs ODS 50w, A Bluesmaster HRM 100 watts, an Ethos Overdrive amp, a Fuchs Valve Job, & a JRockett the Dude (not bragging the slightest; just to let you know that imho I think I know what I'm talking about)

Go get it back :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

7. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Played with my rosewood fb Tele - along Robben Ford & the Blueline... Right on the money, I have to say. Spot on. More so than my clones :)

Oh, & easier to get the sound. Dumble experience is akin setting a quantum fission reactor, with the dumbelator buffer; levels, & all the folklore. THe Mini Mark V gets it effortlessly, on those settings

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    telemnemonics likes this.

8. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Thanks!!

9. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Most welcome - hope you enjoy it

Tell me what you think; & if you like it :)

Darkness likes this.

10. Tubejunkie

Tubejunkie NEW MEMBER!

Dec 2, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks for the tip!!! I normally use the crunch channel for most tones for bluesy stuff, I tried your settings and it sounds great, I like more low end so I just set the lowest graphic eq slider to flat, but still playing with it. My friend has a Ceriatone Dumble clone amp at his studio so gonna bring the Mark V 25 there to compare. It's never ending the tones this little boogie has!!!

11. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Cool, glad you like it. I sometimes crank the bass slider a bit, and add a bit of presence. All in all what a great little amp, eh?

Tell me how it fares against Nik's OTS Mini - really interested. I think the Mesa would win over the OTS wit its clean/reverb voicing? Let's see :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

12. Dann B

Dann B TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2017
    New York
    Works on the big MkV too!!

Awesome recommendation!! Channel 3 was typically my high gain channel, but switched it over to "extreme", dialed in your equally extreme settings, and Wow!

What a great tone!

Barely strayed from your pictured settings and am blown away. Just set the gain to react with my Vol knob and BAM!!! Angels instantly fell from the sky and slapped me in the face with a golden six-string!

These Marks are killer!! Wish I had that onboard cabclone though.

Thanks!

lewis and homesick345 like this.

13. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    What if I told you there is an even better rendition of a Marshall 2203/2204 (JCM800) in this little gem of an amp? ...any volume, any speaker/cab?.... That it does Marshall better than a Marshall (since you can't really do Marshall on a real Marshall because it would be too damn' loud?!)

The Mini 25 is really unbelievable. Let's see:

• Brown/BF Princeton? Check
    • Deluxe Reverb? Check (& yeah, even better)
    • Marshall (JTM45 to Plexi to JCM800)? Check
    • Mesa Boogie (Mark IIc+ & 4)? Check
    • Dumble ODS / HRM? Check
    I mean come on... This thing is beautiful. Add to the above an all tube spring reverb, a tube-buffered effect loop (it's perfect), & a cab-clone direct out (with simulated closed back/open back - & a speaker-off option)

I wouldn't care about any of this if it didn't sound just perfect at home & at gig.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Dann B and jimash like this.

14. ennis

ennis NEW MEMBER!

Aug 21, 2017
    U.K.
    Just tried it, love the tone, cheers for that. Had this amp for a while struggled to find tones such as this. I really like it so thank you very much, do you have any tips with how to go about this amp in terms of finding nice tones, I find it quiet complex expecially the eq

15. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I sold mine. Fantastic little amp, and I may end up with a Mk V 35 combo as it adds the solo function.

I just got incredibly frustrated with not being able to footswitch between a couple of sounds - I loved all the Channel 1, & 2 settings for different songs. The full on MK V is just too much amp.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I would really appreciate a sound clip in a thread like this.

JD0x0 likes this.

17. Mikecito

Mikecito TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    Oooh, going to try this with my V 35 later....

18. kellybluz

kellybluz TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2011
    southern oregon
    Hey homesick, can you post some more pictures of settings and the tone sound it is supposed to be ?
    It would be appreciated! Thanks

19. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Hi kelly - I will around the weekend - stay tuned around here :)

20. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Ennis

Found a tip lately for great marshall tones indeed

stay tuned i'll updare around the weekend

cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.