Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mesa f100 mod

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sometimesyoudie, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Sometimesyoudie

Sometimesyoudie Tele-Meister

I've got a mesa f100 2/12, 100 watt amp, it has 4 6l6 and 4 12ax7's.
    This amp sounds great but it's wayyyy too loud and wayyyyy to heavy! Is there anything I can do to modify this thing to run 1/12 and 30 or so watts?

2. Dflo

Dflo Tele-Meister

Pul the 2 iner 6l6's,,,,,, workes on my twin

3. Sometimesyoudie

Could I pull one of the 12's out and just change the output ohms?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

If it's too loud and too heavy you probably need to sell it and get a lighter lower wattage amp, F30?

6. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Well, I'd imagine that the speakers in those amps probably weigh a good 12 pounds each, so pulling one would lighten the weight. That would also balance the load on the transformer if you pull 2 of the power tubes. But if the other M/B amps I've hefted in my life are any indication, it's still gonna be pretty heavy. I just cannot imagine there is a lot you can do to significantly lower the weight of that amp, aside from converting it to a head/cab rig...which won't actually make it lighter, it'll just divide the weight between 2 boxes.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied

I have to go with Ringo on this one. There is a lot of weight in those transformers. And....Mesa is known for building solid cabs...read: weighty. Maybe a little Mesa .22 caliber +? Great little amps in the Mesa line...used, though and hard to find, maybe....and it wills till be loud. IT won't be heavy, though. A 30-watt amp is still more than 1/2 as loud as that 100 watter....through the same speakers, of course. A 10 watt amp makes half the volume of a 100-watter---- given the same speakers.

8. Sometimesyoudie

Yeah I've thought of that too it's just hard to sell or find a good downsize trade

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.